Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, here's my dilemna. I make quick decisions, and put down $500 for a Redline at the local Saturn dealer. I'm #2 in this North County San Diego line, and think my Redline would probably come in near the end of the year. I've even come up with a cool license plate (OCNSKYD...I live in Oceanside).

My wife was just killing me about getting a 2-seater, since we've got two kids...:willy: :willy: so she convinced me that I should get a 4-seater instead. So (and please don't tell me how inferior my new choice is...I KNOW...I would prefer a Sky) I went and put down my deposit on the new VW hardtop convertible.

I don't mind having the two deposits out there...and I could probably sit on both cars for a while. But do you think I should just go back and get my $500 back from Saturn or should I wait...purchase the skyRL and then try to flip it? I haven't been watching ebay or anything to determine if people are getting $5k+ markups for new Skys. It's a risk, but I'd like your opinion on whether the dreaded 20% depreciation is going to hit me when I drive it from the dealer's lot to my garage. Will I be able to make some money? What are the TTL issues? Anyone?

Anyway, I know that the knee-jerk response is that I should give up my spot to someone who really wants it, but I'm a capitalist. Is this a good bet? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Please don't throw me under the bus for wimping out. :nono: :nono: :nono: She's raising my two children!!!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Do what ever it takes to keep mama happy. You know what they say "If mama aint happy , nobody is happy"
Us old married guys will understand that and not give you any greiff.
If its not to be today they sometime in the future when the kids are grown and gone you can get your new play toy. That whats happing in my house. Mama and the kids come first, now its my turn.:willy:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lets take a quick pop quiz kids.......I will be nice and make it Multiple choice :jester:

A) buy it anyway....THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO, but the again this is coming from a 25 year old who is not planning on getting married anytime soon HEHE :thumbs:

B) keep your spot and sell it for like 2Gs to someone who is desprate to get to the top of the list

C)buy new VW Convertible

D) Both B and C

Marco
:cheers:

dqcvdtpda said:
So, here's my dilemna. I make quick decisions, and put down $500 for a Redline at the local Saturn dealer. I'm #2 in this North County San Diego line, and think my Redline would probably come in near the end of the year. I've even come up with a cool license plate (OCNSKYD...I live in Oceanside).

My wife was just killing me about getting a 2-seater, since we've got two kids...:willy: :willy: so she convinced me that I should get a 4-seater instead. So (and please don't tell me how inferior my new choice is...I KNOW...I would prefer a Sky) I went and put down my deposit on the new VW hardtop convertible.

I don't mind having the two deposits out there...and I could probably sit on both cars for a while. But do you think I should just go back and get my $500 back from Saturn or should I wait...purchase the skyRL and then try to flip it? I haven't been watching ebay or anything to determine if people are getting $5k+ markups for new Skys. It's a risk, but I'd like your opinion on whether the dreaded 20% depreciation is going to hit me when I drive it from the dealer's lot to my garage. Will I be able to make some money? What are the TTL issues? Anyone?

Anyway, I know that the knee-jerk response is that I should give up my spot to someone who really wants it, but I'm a capitalist. Is this a good bet? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Please don't throw me under the bus for wimping out. :nono: :nono: :nono: She's raising my two children!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You have plenty of time. Sit still for 30 days and really weigh the pros and cons of each option.

As an old married man, I am going to throw in my famous little quote that will get you through lots of choices in your married life.

Happy Wife = Happy Life!

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
fkeillor said:
Do what ever it takes to keep mama happy. You know what they say "If mama aint happy , nobody is happy"
Us old married guys will understand that and not give you any greiff.
If its not to be today they sometime in the future when the kids are grown and gone you can get your new play toy. That whats happing in my house. Mama and the kids come first, now its my turn.:willy:
This is why i stay SINGLE, and I'm happier than Kris Kringle :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Get your cash back, give up the slot.

Otherwise, it will be:

"I can't believe you have $500 tied up in that car."

"Honey, did you get your money back yet?"

"I am telling you, do NOT buy that car. I thought we agreed on that."

"If you love me, you would NOT buy that car."

"I can't believe you bought that car. You better be able to sell it."

"Haven't you sold that car yet?"

"If you loved me, you'd sell that car RIGHT NOW."

"You know, I never wanted you to buy that car in the first place."

"What were you thinking when you bought that car?"

"No man that loves his wife and kids would buy a two-seater."

"If you can buy that car, which I never thought was a good idea, then you can afford to get me a really nice ring."

"Don't you even LOOK at that blonde, Mr. 'I have a sexy two-seater.'"

Get my drift?

·
Registered
239 Posts
HAHA....reading this just pushed back my plans of getting married for another additional 10 years.

Marco
:thumbs:

jdigiant said:
Get your cash back, give up the slot.

Otherwise, it will be:

"I can't believe you have $500 tied up in that car."

"Honey, did you get your money back yet?"

"I am telling you, do NOT buy that car. I thought we agreed on that."

"If you love me, you would NOT buy that car."

"I can't believe you bought that car. You better be able to sell it."

"Haven't you sold that car yet?"

"If you loved me, you'd sell that car RIGHT NOW."

"You know, I never wanted you to buy that car in the first place."

"What were you thinking when you bought that car?"

"No man that loves his wife and kids would buy a two-seater."

"If you can buy that car, which I never thought was a good idea, then you can afford to get me a really nice ring."

"Don't you even LOOK at that blonde, Mr. 'I have a sexy two-seater.'"

Get my drift?

·
Registered
17 Posts
First, it's not "his" slot, it's the dealer's. And if you think the dealer's going to let his position be taken by someone else just because he asks you're crazy. Second, if he buys the car to "flip" it, he's going to pay sales tax on it which he won't recover in a third party private sale.

Just do the right thing and let the Saturn dealer know you're no longer interested. I'm sure whoever's on the list below you at the Saturn dealer would appreciate it. Everyone complains about dealer ethics, what about ours as consumers?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Get the 500 dollar deposit back, give the money to your wife and tell her to spend it however she wants. Then whine about how you really would have loved the 2 seater roadster. She might not give in immediately but you will eventually get a chance to buy a 2 seater.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
Get the 500 dollar deposit back, give the money to your wife and tell her to spend it however she wants. Then whine about how you really would have loved the 2 seater roadster. She might not give in immediately but you will eventually get a chance to buy a 2 seater.

:agree: ...Besides remember, ITS CHEAPER TO KEEP HER!...:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
you won't be able to flip it because you will be paying over MSRP (used to work for the SD group, they are not stupid).

get your deposit money back and give up your spot, then enjoy your VW.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
If it's the VW I saw at the Toronto show... Nice car! :thumbs: Get your $500 back. :D Some of us here are a little sensitive about people buying Sky's and reselling them for higher prices BTW.:nono:

·
Registered
482 Posts
"flip it, 5K mark up, e-bay.......These are the kind of things that seem OK for the owner to do, but we rant when the dealer does the same thing. My feeling is, what is good for the goose is good for the gander....Maverick does't want to hear the rants from this forum about dealer mark up over MSRP if you all think it is OK for the owner to "flip" the car for 5K over MSRP.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Maverick said:
"flip it, 5K mark up, e-bay.......These are the kind of things that seem OK for the owner to do, but we rant when the dealer does the same thing. My feeling is, what is good for the goose is good for the gander....Maverick does't want to hear the rants from this forum about dealer mark up over MSRP if you all think it is OK for the owner to "flip" the car for 5K over MSRP.
:agree: ..ditto

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Might be more profitable to take the $500 and invest in gasamoline* futures anyway...

*(That's the Homer J. Simpson highly sophistimacated way to pronounce it, for those of you that are ill-informed on such matters.)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Or ................. get with the KappaCarClub and SELL YOUR SLOT!!!! Seriously, if I were to change my mind I would consider the option of bringing a "buyer" with you at delivery!! If that buyer has the financing in place beforehand, you might be able to "sell" your spot. Hell, Solstice buyers are paying a bunch over MSRP. Maybe someone would be willing to compensate you for the Sky Redline!!

Just a thought.

·
Registered
482 Posts
snaponbob this isn't the way it should be. If he doesn't want the car get the deposit back and walk away. You should not make a profit if you have not earned it and making a $500.00 deposit on a car that you don't want doesn't qualify as earning 5K. Its just taking advantage of others....this is not good.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Maverick said:
snaponbob this isn't the way it should be. If he doesn't want the car get the deposit back and walk away. You should not make a profit if you have not earned it and making a $500.00 deposit on a car that you don't want doesn't qualify as earning 5K. Its just taking advantage of others....this is not good.
I said it was just a thought :rolleyes:

I did not say it was a GOOD thought!!!!!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
SkyHi07 said:
You have plenty of time. Sit still for 30 days and really weigh the pros and cons of each option.

As an old married man, I am going to throw in my famous little quote that will get you through lots of choices in your married life.

Happy Wife = Happy Life!
My favorite saying is by Ron White" Diamonds!! That will shut her up!!!":lol: :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts