Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my dealer - I am guaranteed a car (with limitations). 9 Am I come in and order.
Here is the deal.
They will be getting 10 cars -- 6 are "pre-ordered" 4 to be ordered. I am #9, so I get a car - BUT if it is not what I want I can order - but no promise of delivery for the first run....
I'll report back

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations! :) Let us all know how it goes down! I'm totally jealous but happy for you! Can't wait to hear!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
first 6 pre-ordered---- do they do this to maximize profit? by ordering fully loaded cars? I don't understand why they wouldn't just let the first 10 ppl with deposits go ahead and use these first 10 orders.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
usmc said:
first 6 pre-ordered---- do they do this to maximize profit? by ordering fully loaded cars? I don't understand why they wouldn't just let the first 10 ppl with deposits go ahead and use these first 10 orders.
They don't make any more money on a loaded unit than a base one.

I heard that some places were "told" what they were getting...it can be changed in the computer after you get the image, but some dealerships are too lazy or don't know that they can change the order to accomadate a customer's exact wants.

I have been in the business for a while and I would wager that they are just too lazy to change the order, they know the customers will buy them anyways.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CdnSkyGuy said:

I heard that some places were "told" what they were getting...it can be changed in the computer after you get the image, but some dealerships are too lazy or don't know that they can change the order to accomadate a customer's exact wants.

I have been in the business for a while and I would wager that they are just too lazy to change the order, they know the customers will buy them anyways.
I will use this info -- thanks!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
Buddy you are wrong on that, every option has a profit built in to it, just go to any pricing guide and you will see the msrp for each option and what the invoice price is for that option...the more options on a car the more profit.... Didn't you say you were a Saturn salesman?

This is what I got from NADA on a SOLSTICE, you can see that profit is built into each option. the first number is Invoice and second is MSRP

Pontiac Solstice 2006
Invoice MSRP
Base $18,158 $19,420
Destination $575 $575
Total $18,733 $19,995
DIFFERENTIAL, LIMITED SLIP, REAR
Manufacturer Code: G80
$174 $195

AIR CONDITIONING Invoice MSRP
AIR CONDITIONING, FRONT, MANUAL
Manufacturer Code: C60
$854 $960
RADIO Invoice MSRP
SOUND SYSTEM, ETR AM/FM STEREO WITH CD PLAYER AND MP3 PLAYBACK,
includes Radio Data System (RDS), seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock
Manufacturer Code: US8
$174 $195
SOUND SYSTEM, ETR AM/FM STEREO WITH 6-DISC CD PLAYER/MP3 PLAYBACK, IN-DASH,
includes Radio Data System (RDS), seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock
Manufacturer Code: US9
$441 $495
WHEELS Invoice MSRP
WHEELS, 18" (45.7 CM) ALUMINUM, POLISHED
Manufacturer Code: QF8
$485 $545
WHEELS 18" (45.7 CM) ALUMINUM, CHROMED
Manufacturer Code: PD5
$708 $795
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS Invoice MSRP
CONVENIENCE PACKAGE,
includes (K34) Cruise control, (U68) Driver Information Center, (T96) Fog lamps and steering wheel accessory cruise control and Driver Information Center controls
Manufacturer Code: ZQ3
$414 $465
FLOORMATS, CARPETED, FRONT
Manufacturer Code: B32
$53 $60
POWER PACKAGE,
includes (A31) Windows, power, (AU3) Door locks, power, (AU0) Keyless entry, remote and (D48) Mirrors, outside rearview, power, remote control, electric, body-color
Manufacturer Code: ZQ2
$556 $625
REGULAR PRODUCTION ACCESSORY, SMOKERS PACKAGE,
includes ashtray and lighter
Manufacturer Code: DT4
$36 $40
PREMIUM PACKAGE,
includes (N34) Steering wheel, 3-spoke, leather-wrapped with (UK3) Steering wheel accessory controls, (VY7) Shift knob, leather-wrapped and (192) Dark (Ebony) or (312) Steel/Sand leather seating surfaces
Manufacturer Code: PCQ
$614 $690
SOUND SYSTEM FEATURE, MONSOON PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM,
includes amplified 7-speaker audio system, 2 6-inch door speakers, 2 1-inch A-pillar tweeters, 2 3.5-inch rear speakers and 1 subwoofer
Manufacturer Code: UQ3
$352 $395
SOUND SYSTEM FEATURE, XM SATELLITE RADIO,
features 67 channels of 100% commercial-free music included in its over 150 channels of the best in music, news, sports, talk, comedy, XM Instant Traffic and Weather, and more. Digital quality sound with coast-to-coast signal coverage. Three trial months-no obligation.
Manufacturer Code: U2K
$289 $325
ONSTAR, ONE-YEAR OF SAFE AND SOUND SERVICE,
Includes Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment, Emergency Services, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Roadside Assistance, Accident Assist and Remote Horn and Lights. Also featuring Hands-Free Calling
Manufacturer Code: UE1
$619 $695
HEADLINER, PREMIUM,
serves as a premium interior headliner appearance and interior acoustical enhancement
Manufacturer Code: AZ5
$134 $150
BRAKES, 4-WHEEL ANTILOCK
Manufacturer Code: JL9
$356 $400

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Fair enough...It has been a while since I have sold new...moved up to Used over a year and a half ago. Even with what you point out, the difference is very minimal. Not a big enough difference that dealerships would order more loaded vehicles than mid level ones to try and maximize profit.

Imagine if we only ordered Ion 3s loaded, sunroof, leather...our cars would be so much more than the Cobalt that we would never sell any. There are usually 3 or 4 loaded units on our lot and the rest will be mid levels.

I guess what I was thinking is that as a salesguy we would get paid the same commish on a loaded Ion as a base 5 speed no air.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess what I was thinking is that as a salesguy we would get paid the same commish on a loaded Ion as a base 5 speed no air.
I think that's the deal... I'm not a car dealer but manage a couple of hundred salespeople and they all think the same as this. For management it's not about the commission, in fact we think about profit. Everybody wants ours, our suppliers, our customers, no difference. So, if we can get a few hundred extra gross profit dollars without having to pay commissions or have other costs on it the money drops to the bottom line. Not all about individual thinking, many business managers are just trying to stay in business so that they can take care of their employees and their families. Ordering / selling cars with some extras versus base cars with a dealer markup sure sounds like the way to go for the dealer. It's our choice as customers if we want to buy these cars or not. We are not getting screwed, it's just good business in a supply and demand economy. If we don't like the price and we think it will go down we can wait.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I remember a statement by a GM official once that unless the customer ordered a Chevette with at least a radio and A/C, they would lose money on the car. I also looked up the data on MSRP for options and actual dealer cost, and
as I recall, the profit on the base model was around $1300, and for a fully loaded Solstice was around $1800. There was more profit, but nowhere near what some people imagined. There is, however, the matter of cost to the dealer
for cars that sit around for months - the higher optioned cars cost them more
to keep around. Remember, the more money involved, the grater the cost, even if all the money is your own, since it could have been earning 4-5% elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Chasdavid said:
I think that's the deal... I'm not a car dealer but manage a couple of hundred salespeople and they all think the same as this. For management it's not about the commission, in fact we think about profit. Everybody wants ours, our suppliers, our customers, no difference. So, if we can get a few hundred extra gross profit dollars without having to pay commissions or have other costs on it the money drops to the bottom line. Not all about individual thinking, many business managers are just trying to stay in business so that they can take care of their employees and their families. Ordering / selling cars with some extras versus base cars with a dealer markup sure sounds like the way to go for the dealer. It's our choice as customers if we want to buy these cars or not. We are not getting screwed, it's just good business in a supply and demand economy. If we don't like the price and we think it will go down we can wait.

"It's our choice as customers if we want to buy these cars or not. We are not getting screwed, it's just good business in a supply and demand economy. If we don't like the price and we think it will go down we can wait."

I don't agree with this at all--- if a dealer is up front from the get go, then yes.. you can walk and find another dealer. If a dealer accepts your deposit, 6 months ago, and maybe even tells you that they aren't going to mark up and then waits till the last second when ur signing papers to tack on extra costs or add new wheels and and charge you for them... that is getting screwed and I predict we will see more posts about msrp markup over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't agree with this at all--- if a dealer is up front from the get go, then yes.. you can walk and find another dealer. If a dealer accepts your deposit, 6 months ago, and maybe even tells you that they aren't going to mark up and then waits till the last second when ur signing papers to tack on extra costs or add new wheels and and charge you for them... that is getting screwed and I predict we will see more posts about msrp markup over the next few weeks.
I agree with you 100%, in fact I'll be very upset if I go through the same after putting money down 4 months ago. I am only talking about ordering fully optioned cars for the "dealer" cars. I would not support doing what you are describing, that's much different... and is, in my mind, not ethical. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You know, I'm hearing far more underhanded tactics and over MSRP before ordering has even started then I ever heard from the Pontiac dealerships. Over MSRP charging really didn't start till a good number of cars had actually been delivered.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing that is bothering me (I will clear it up when I get there) is my sales guy told me there were people who had deposits ahead of me... I'm sorry? I called 2 times to set up when to come in and make a deposit to secure my spot -- he told me, "We don't do that."
Guess what -- I want to see dates! :mad:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dealers have allocations

This Thursday I placed my order with Cincinnati's largest Saturn Dealer. We had a drawing for order sequence hosted by the general manager and I lucked out drew number 1 out of the 10 depositors. He advised that their dealership has been allocated 13 Skys. They will be ordering the demo car on February 6th (a white fully loaded demo) and mine at the same time Red w/ tan 5 speed loaded . He said that they expect to recieve the demo approximately March 1st and mine a few weeks later. He is expecting two to three per month. I should have the first Sky in Cincinnati area! WOW!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skyfan said:
This Thursday I placed my order with Cincinnati's largest Saturn Dealer. We had a drawing for order sequence hosted by the general manager and I lucked out drew number 1 out of the 10 depositors. He advised that their dealership has been allocated 13 Skys. They will be ordering the demo car on February 6th (a white fully loaded demo) and mine at the same time Red w/ tan 5 speed loaded . He said that they expect to recieve the demo approximately March 1st and mine a few weeks later. He is expecting two to three per month. I should have the first Sky in Cincinnati area! WOW!
Awesome, good luck. :thumbs:

Did you get it for MSRP though?

·
Registered
380 Posts
MSRP pricing

Yes, all the Saturn dealerships (5) in Cincinnati are selling strictly MSRP. They all said that from the git-go and I had my deposit order written with a MSRP guarantee. I ordered from the largest dealer because I had heard on the forum about allocations. Pretty decent of them considering what the Greater Cincinnati Pontiac dealers are doing...$1000 to $5000 over on the Solstice sticker. That stinks!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put $$ Down -- No Image though

As everyone has supposed the images are due Jan 10-11. My dealer took a deposit and all the info on my SKY. He said - I should be able to get the car I wanted. I mentioned that I was disappointed with the fact that people with deposits were ahead of me -- but they were also ahead of me in time as well (He showed me the dates). However, he felt I should get:
My Yellow SKY
Chrome wheels
Monsoon Sound
Leather

Now all I have to do is chew nails until he gets an image and types in the info. :willy:

He did confirm a few things - As one of the highest sales dealers in Illinois, the 10 cars was a pretty good allocation. Most will be in warm weather states. Not real likely that any more will be available until the initial orders are signed, sealed etc...

Also
Six cars will be fitted by the factory and sent only 4 are open for order.
He did keep saying that we should be able to work my car into it...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little bit more

As far as MSRP - My sales guy said -- he had NOT heard of any price increase. He used the Price sheet -- just like the one we have here, including the $575 transport fee to fill out a PAPER order.:thumbs:
He recalled our conversation about taking deposits.:thumbs: He said he would bring it up and felt they would place my order, or search and see if there was a factory car they could get that was close (I get the impression that they can play with the factory cars--- but I am not sure).:thumbs: His final words to me were:
"I don't see whay you could not get the car you want, with this equipment (He indicated the order sheet)." So until I hear that my order is in teh computer (image??) and they have a confirmation - I am no different today than I was Friady... :confused: Except I DID leave a $1000.00 deposit....:thumbs:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts