Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Woo friggin' HOO!

I got my baby back tonight. And in a flurry of "two weeks and two days without a SKY therapy" I installed all the goodies that came in while it was away. The stubby antennae; the Kappa SkyShield; the CG Lock; the vanity license plate... and that's not to mention the work that Borla did in the form of a dual exhaust and installing the CAI for me.

But enough of this insignificant nonsense... Let's get to the meat of it. I'll discuss the CAI and exhaust upgrades over on the performance forum. And I'll post a couple of teaser pics here. And I owe the forum a side-by-side comparison of the Senoff and Kappa windscreens, so that will come shortly. But I gotta tell you the best part:

The performance gains are UNBELIEVEABLE! It's like a whole new car. Okay, so the exhaust is deeper and it screams "LOOK AT ME!" when the car accelerates hard. But OH - MY - GOD - Does it MOVE now! When I had my Spitfire with a 1.5 engine I just always accellerated out by going pedal-to-the-metal when running through the gears for a hot acceleration. And I started doing that for my SKY, too. But... I can't do that any more! Pull that crap on a green light going around a corner and you're at 50mph before you know it and you are just barely straightening out your wheels. The gains are just crazy... But more on that over in the Performance Forum.

In the mean time, here's some pics of the recent "adjustments" to my baby... It was getting dark - and the car was filthy from the transport - so the pictures aren't the best, so I will shoot more under better lighting tomorrow.

UPDATE - through the miracle of time compression (and post editing!) I can now post links to the better pictures that have already been posted!
Group 1 - The Dual Outlets
Group 2 - The Pipe
Group 3 - The Muffler
Group 4 - The Hole

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your gonna have to spill your guts and let us know the details like costs and affects! Does the stubbie still get good reception?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well good golly Miss Molly...are you having fun YET? :cheers: Tell it all.

·
Registered
354 Posts
dual exhaust and installing the CAI - Cost ??

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're gonna hate me...

southphillylakes said:
dual exhaust and installing the CAI - Cost ??
FREE. Well, I had to pay for the CAI. But that was it.

There was a post on the forum looking for a volunteer to give up their car for seven to ten business days so that the "non-supporting-vendor performance exhaust provider" could engineer a solution specific for the SKY. They were looking for somebody, so I said "I might consider loaning you my SKY..." and the next thing I know they were sending down a transporter to pick it up...

I then asked them, "I was thinking of getting the CAI, too... Would you like me to send that and have your guys install it so you can get dyno readings with the stock exhaust, with the custom exhaust alone, and with the custom exhaust combined with the CAI?" I got an emphatic "YES!"

So they installed that for free, too - I just had to provide the part.

As for those dyno charts, I've asked to see them but they haven't sent them yet.

I can say this, though... This makes such a difference in the car that knowing now what I know now, I'd pay to have it done. Absolutely. No doubt about it. It gives the car that extra kick in the pants that all those writers say it lacks...

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
jdigiant said:
Hey, you took the risk, you get the rewards.
No doubt your feedback on the results will more than make up for the cost.
Just keep passing on your observations and impressions on how it turned out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK, you've teased us with all the wonderdul additions you made. Now tell us the cost.....especially the dual exhaust installation. And how long did all that work take?.................:cool:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SkyRaider said:
And how long did all that work take?.................:cool:
The stubby was screw off the old one, screw on the new one. It fit perfect - nothing tricky there. The Kappa Sky Shield took about 5 minutes. The license plate was easy...

As for the CAI and the Dualie? The "non-supporting-vendor" picked up my car on the day after labor day (a Tuesday) and returned it yesterday (a Thursday) so it took a grand total of two weeks and two days. But - keep in mind - that they had to engineer the solution for the car, not just install a previously designed soltion. They had to study the car, design the parts, build the parts, install it, test it, make adjustments, send it out for pictures, test it... Lots of work. And, before they installed the dual they first installed a single because they want to offer that option to the market, too. (You can read all about THAT on the Performance forum).

So all in all, two weeks and two days including transport, engineering and installation. Not too bad.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Man that is too sweet!

I'm jealous.....just plain jealous....The only aftermarket "non supporting vendor " up here in Minneapolis will probably be some guy in a old garage who wants to put some kind of racing snow-plow on my Sky for free.....:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts