Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the moter is under 187 degrees theand i rev it on the down rev it rattles the valves or something has anybody heard of that problem? When it is above 187 like clock work it makes no noise at all.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
When the moter is under 187 degrees theand i rev it on the down rev it rattles the valves or something has anybody heard of that problem? When it is above 187 like clock work it makes no noise at all.
I think what you are hearing is the injector solinoids. ...Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
cold temp noise

I have noticed the same thing. To make it even more interesting, it seemed to more noticeable after I changed to synthetic motor oil!

Would be interested to hear from Saturn Tech about this.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. To make it even more interesting, it seemed to more noticeable after I changed to synthetic motor oil!

Would be interested to hear from Saturn Tech about this.
everyone keeps telling me its the fuel injectors, including the saturn srvc guy. whats wierd is it didn't start till about 6k miles or so.

I will have to say that I do agree that its the injectors but man is it loud!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was told it was the injectors also. It sounds like valve knock until the engine warms up. I've used 91 or 93 octane gas since new.
I just mention it each time I have the car serviced then I have a history of a problem down the road.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I got the "Injectors" from my Serv Tech as well.
It only happens when cold - and might last a full minute... Never thought of a certain temp -- makes sense..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Found this service bulletin on a sol forum...
http://solsticegxpowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433&page=2

The following GM Bulletin explains that this engine noise is normal:

2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky
with 2.0L Turbo Engine (VIN X - RPO LNF)

Info - Clicking/Ticking Sound/Noise Heard During Cold Start - Sound/Noise Decreases But Continues as Engine Warms (Normal Operation of High Pressure Fuel Pump and Injectors) #06-06-93-001A - (09/27/2006)

The 2.0L turbo engine (VIN X - RPO LNF) uses a direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures. A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid, clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle, and is more frequent during a cold start but lessens once the engine is warm. The rapid ticking noise on cold start up is the fuel pump (located on the rear of the cylinder head) building up high fuel pressure. When the engine warm-up is completed, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to tick at a lower rate of approximately one tick per second during idle. The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under higher fuel pressures. These sounds are the results of a normal direct injection fuel system operating properly.

DO NOT attempt to repair or replace any parts for this kind of clicking or ticking concern. The clicking or ticking sound is not indicative of any concerns with the engine or the vehicle. You may wish to give the customer a copy of this bulletin.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky

Info - Clicking/Ticking Sound/Noise Heard During Cold Start - Sound/Noise Decreases But Continues as Engine Warms (Normal Operation of High Pressure Fuel Pump and Injectors) #06-06-93-001A - (09/27/2006)

The 2.0L turbo engine (VIN X - RPO LNF) uses a direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures. A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid, clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle, and is more frequent during a cold start but lessens once the engine is warm. The rapid ticking noise on cold start up is the fuel pump (located on the rear of the cylinder head) building up high fuel pressure. When the engine warm-up is completed, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to tick at a lower rate of approximately one tick per second during idle. The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under higher fuel pressures. These sounds are the results of a normal direct injection fuel system operating properly.

DO NOT attempt to repair or replace any parts for this kind of clicking or ticking concern. The clicking or ticking sound is not indicative of any concerns with the engine or the vehicle. You may wish to give the customer a copy of this bulletin.

but that is for the 2.0 with direct injection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 2.4 and the GM Bulletin is for the 2.0 do you think it would still apply? I'm the one with the noise problem, sorry i did not specify the engine. I need help

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
You know, I heard a very faint ticking when I started her up the morning when she was cold. But down here in Florida, engines (and us) sorta warm up rather quick.:lol: :thumbs: After a few seconds, I'll say less than 15 seconds it went away. I will continue to monitor this, at first didn't think much of it until I read this thread. BUT, then I started up the next day, no ticking. So if bulletin is correct, I ain't gonna worry bout it. Since with my sky anyways, out of all the starts she's had, I only noticed this once, and that was after a cold front rolled thru--BTW it got to 65 degrees brrrr--no worries--:thumbs:

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts

2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky

My RedLine ticks. Only way to compare it to anything is when the hood is open or im idling next to a wall it sounds like my turn signal is on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the 2.4 and the GM Bulletin is for the 2.0 do you think it would still apply? I'm the one with the noise problem, sorry i did not specify the engine. I need help
Probably not due to the 2.0 being SIDI

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was told it was the injectors also. It sounds like valve knock until the engine warms up. I've used 91 or 93 octane gas since new.
I just mention it each time I have the car serviced then I have a history of a problem down the road.
First I'm not joking here

try regular gasoline, high octane gas is not " more powerful" it is for high compression engine to prevent ping.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=3&id=2049

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ping, tap, knock.....all are hard to convey to others in writing. My car had a metallic tip when cold which was louder on deceleration. The noise was low in the engine at the front. Took the car to the dealer and they tore the engine down and could find no problem. I got a call yesterday and GM decided to drop a new engine in the car. I should have the car back by Monday without the tap, I hope.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
WOW, thats a "heavy" repair--:eek: Which car Base or R/L?

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
First I'm not joking here

try regular gasoline, high octane gas is not " more powerful" it is for high compression engine to prevent ping.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=3&id=2049
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Our cars can run on regular fuel but run better on premium. Regular fuel in our cars will cause some knock but the computer will adjust for the gas by pulling timing to eliminate the knock. If you are hearing knock, a higher octane fuel would normally help HOWEVER with our setups you should never here knock because of gas grade.

Also, hearing the noise at idle is also a decent sign that it is not knock. Usually knock will occure when under heavy acceleration or load.

Sounds like injectors to me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
With all this talk about noise has anybody got an automotive stethascope to try and pinpoint the noise to injectors? I usually use a long screwstick to hear noises like this. But my Sky, from what I hear, only has solinoid noises until it is warmed up....Skip....:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts