Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 21 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my Sky Redline trying to replace the thermostat and I accidentally broke the quick connector on the heater to engine hose. I'm thinking it was already brittle... Anyway, I know the part number is GM 19129948 for the hose with connectors, but not only is it discontinued, I can't find it or the quick connect ANYWHERE!! All I can find is the hose and I don't want to rig my baby unless I'm positive that it will work. I've been looking all day on my computer and calling around. I bought my car brand new back in the day and it was garage kept until I got divorced and things snowballed. Life has a way of kicking you in the butt sometimes :rolleyes: It is now my only transporatation and I must find a way to fix it without going to the stealership LOL!!! I can't even find the specs on the quick connector. Any help or advice would be so appreciated!!!!! Thank you in advance ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Hi Rebecca. Your best option here is probably a used part.

You should also check with: Pontiac Solstice Forum since there are twice as many of them as there are of us, and the cars are essentially identical.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Strange. Wnen I looked up 19129948 I found a Dayco 87851 as a cross, but it doesn't have the quick-connect and is a different shape.
The Gates 23333 does list 19129948 as one of the OEM part numbers, so it is apparently the right part. Good find.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Good find Robo. Maybe we should all snap those up while they are still available!?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your reply. The gates 2333 is firewall to thermostat. Its a different shape and i was told that the quick connect is molded to the end. It's not detachable. I'm wondering if there is any way to take off that end and splice another hose onto that... Any iseas?

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Thank you everyone for your reply. The gates 2333 is firewall to thermostat. Its a different shape and i was told that the quick connect is molded to the end. It's not detachable. I'm wondering if there is any way to take off that end and splice another hose onto that... Any iseas?
Did you find Dayco 87851 as the "hose only" version of the part you need? That was the other cross that I found from the part number you posted.
Rock Auto lists both the Dayco 87851 and the Gates 2333 as replacements for the GM 19129948.

Assuming the hoses are the same diameter, you could cut off the QD end plus about 3" of hose, then use a heater hose splicer and two hose clamps to connect it to the end of the (shortened) correct hose.

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
Duplicate.

·
Super Moderator
11,347 Posts
I'm not sure what it is then that you are looking for. I understand the shape may be different but the firewall to thermostat is where these hoses run and the quick disconnect attaches to the heater core fittings that are at the firewall.

Are you saying because of the shape difference you were going to try and reuse your existing hose and just use the quick connect fitting off the new hose? I mean, you could cut off the quick connect fitting and leave a bit of the new hose on it so that you would have room to splice the old hose onto it with a proper male to male connector/adaptor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you find Dayco 87851 as the "hose only" version of the part you need? That was the other cross from the part number you posted.
Rock Auto lists both the Dayco 87851 and the Gates 2333 as replacements for the GM 1912994.

Assuming the hoses are the same diameter, you could cut off the QD end plus about 3" of hose, then use a heater hose splicer and two hose clamps to connect it to the end of the (shortened) correct hose.
Wh
I'm not sure what it is then that you are looking for. I understand the shape may be different but the firewall to thermostat is where these hoses run and the quick disconnect attaches to the heater core fittings that are at the firewall.

Are you saying because of the shape difference you were going to try and reuse your existing hose and just use the quick connect fitting off the new hose? I mean, you could cut off the quick connect fitting and leave a bit of the new hose on it so that you would have room to splice the old hose onto it with a proper male to male connector/adaptor.

No I was thinking about getting the new hose with the quick connect and getting the correct shaped hose to splice onto that. As you know there is very little room under the hood of our cars. Plus the other hose is longer so that the coolant can cool off a bit before reaching the thermostat. The shorter inlet hose is also under a lot of pressure and it warms the cabin. I'm assuming the longer hose (if it would fit) may no give good heat to the cabin and all those turns under pressure may not be a good idea. Obviously, I'm not an exppert, but thats what my research has led me to beleive ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My other question is: Is there some kind of valve in that outlet hose that directs the flow of coolant? Since one is inlet and one is outlet?
Omg. It sure sucks not to be able to get the right part... I refuse to give up on my Sky baby though!! Everyone asks when I'm going to get a sensible car hahah ?

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
My other question is: Is there some kind of valve in that outlet hose that directs the flow of coolant? Since one is inlet and one is outlet?
Omg. It sure sucks not to be able to get the right part... I refuse to give up on my Sky baby though!! Everyone asks when I'm going to get a sensible car hahah ?
There are no valves in these hoses. Their orientation is to maximize the efficiency of the heater and to minimize the chances of getting a bubble stuck in the heater core.

Do you need the hose with the straight fitting insted of the right-angle fitting? That seems to be the one that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, i'm thinking of ordering the gates hose and then splicing the other straight hose onto it, but i cant find any specs on the straight original part... I contacted a mechanic on just an answer to get some advice. I will post his response so other people can get that info too...

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I may have figured this out.

First, Dorman makes a replacement straight quick disconnect:
Capture.JPG

Second, the description of the disconnect says that it connects a 5/8 hose to a 3/4 tube.
The Dayco hose that I referenced in post #8 is 3/4 ID at one end and 5/8 ID at the other end.
It appears that hose will slip over the heater core tube (3/4") and the t-stat housing tube (5/8") with hose clamps at both ends.

So you have two clear options: A replacement QD end for your hose, or a replacement hose that eliminates the QD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would be so much easier than hose splicing!!!! Thank you so much for your help, you"re an angel!!!!! ? I'm checking this all out right now... You seem to be in the know. I have another question and I would so apprecate your input. I broke the connector while trying to replace my tstat. As I'm sure your aware if you have a redline, the o clamp connector on the radiator hose next to the thermostat is in the way so you cant get to the tstat bolt. I pryed at it, used the clamp pliars (which got stick btw), rubbed the clamp with dw 40 as someone helse suggested, and it would not budge. Any ideas about getting that clamp connector out of the way? Thought about trying to cut it off, but I'm afraid of damaging something else everything is so close together in there..

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
I have not (fortunately) had to get into mine, so I have no personal experience. One of the Solstice forum members posted this:

Also found a simple solution to the dreaded clamp on the thermostat housing, seeing that it was almost impossible to get any pliers on it i used a long flathead screw driver and placed it on the clamp and hit it with a hammer and managed to rotate the clamp so i can get a socket on it
Clearly you should use that technique carefully, and I won't take any responsibility for the outcome!

·
Super Moderator
6,117 Posts
It looks like it would work but I haven't done any measuring, and the descriptions of the hoses are not as definitive as I would like. For $10 I would buy one to see if it fits.

I suspect that it says it won't fit the Sky because all of the parts lists seem to think that the hose with the straight connector doesn't use a connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your reply... There is a 90 degree one too, but I was thinking that there was a lot of pressure on the coolant coming out of the engine. The outlet connector is 90 degrees.

1 - 21 of 23 Posts