Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I stopped up at the dealership to make sure I had all my current contact info correct, believe it or not I did not have a phone number on file! Glad I went up there.

While talking with the sales guy he mentions "have you heard anything about the SKY"...I say, ya the usual from SKYROADSTER.com. He says: I just heard that since Pontiac came out with their car first and got to showcase them, that they wanted to do something special for SATURN...He says that they will be FIRST to offer the SKY in the redline version (turbo). He claims it will be offered from the beginning, before the Solstice! He even asked if I would like to add that to my order if it is available...I screamed YES! :D

I don't know how true it is but this is one of the largest dealerships in michigan and one of the largest in the U.S. I will give an update as soon as I can.. I have a few friends that work up in GM.

ISHOT3BUCKS!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't shoot the messenger....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Michigan Sky Guy

You don't have to tell us how you know, we just appreciate you hanging out and feeding us tidbits. However, you can give us upcomming lotto numbers.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
michigan guy---

Is March/April realistic to expect for first ones to be at dealerships?
We are hearing that more and more from different resources here on the forum.

of course, don't answer if it even has a remote chance of getting anyone in trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just talked to someone from inside Gm Proving Grounds and he says that the rumor floating around there is that there will first be the 2007 model 2.4L, then for 2008 the 2.2L turbo, but for 2009 there will be a 2.0L with a bigger turbo for hp in the 300 range. i know that a lot of rumors fly round these parts, so im just passing along what i heard. take it for what you want

·
Registered
43 Posts
usmc said:
Is March/April realistic to expect for first ones to be at dealerships?
We are hearing that more and more from different resources here on the forum.

of course, don't answer if it even has a remote chance of getting anyone in trouble.
Yes for March/April at dealers is reasonable. Small chance of being a bit earlier... we'll all be mad if it's later, but you know how launches can go...

SlySkyGuy - The timline is close, but not correct. 07-NA, 07i-TB.

·
Registered
148 Posts
michigan_sky_guy said:
Guaranteed not true... wish I could tell you how I know.
GM isn’t even sure if they will use the Supercharged 2.2L or the Turbocharged 2.0L.... of course we all would like to have a 2.0L Turbo in our Red Line but talking about date isn't accurate.

According to my dealer, there is no information at all about the releasing date of the Red Line. But honestly... I would like to be wrong and I wish what your dealer says was true.... cuz then I would be super happy to have the Red Line before I tough I would.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
HEHE the ring of salt!!

I finally get to see the ring of salt!!! LOL

Not to try and support or not support any of these rumors but in Michigan guys defense.. he doesn't get his info from a "dealer" he works at GM.

I know I know, that doesn't make it fact so don't start flaming me, I'm just saying for whatever its worth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Snowy_Beast said:
GM isn’t even sure if they will use the Supercharged 2.2L or the Turbocharged 2.0L.... QUOTE]

Wrong.

How long do you think that it takes to develop an engine package? With the challenges (fun) of design, testing, certification, etc... it's two years +/- a few months... When have most of the rumors suggested the boosted engine will appear?

·
Registered
304 Posts
michigan_sky_guy said:
Snowy_Beast said:
GM isn’t even sure if they will use the Supercharged 2.2L or the Turbocharged 2.0L.... QUOTE]

Wrong.

How long do you think that it takes to develop an engine package? With the challenges (fun) of design, testing, certification, etc... it's two years +/- a few months... When have most of the rumors suggested the boosted engine will appear?
Does not matter how long it takes when you can pull a 2.0l DOHC SFI with S/C Ecotec, no less that puts out 205hp and 200lbs-ft (Cobalt SS).

I'm sorry but for nominal, I mean nominal cost why the H not? Makes the most economic sense as this engine has already passed all tests for certification and is in production. And seeing that MotorTRend has been able to break the 7.0 second barrier with a box-stock Solstice (6.7 sec 0-60) I ask you how fast do you want to go and at what cost AND what is wrong with 28 hp for about $1500 and it will surely go sub 6 or mid 5's. Anything in the 300hp range is going to be 5.0 for sure right there with the twice as expensive Caddy.

If the Kappa is all about bang for the buck, then keep the bucks in our pockets. Not everyone wants a Sky that costs the same as a Honda or BMW.

edit: Okay I checked, the Cobalt SS is $3200 upgrade at list, but that includes suspension, trim, interior upgrades as well so I stand by my estimate of engine cost alone at near $1500.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SlySkyGuy said:
just talked to someone from inside Gm Proving Grounds and he says that the rumor floating around there is that there will first be the 2007 model 2.4L, then for 2008 the 2.2L turbo, but for 2009 there will be a 2.0L with a bigger turbo for hp in the 300 range. i know that a lot of rumors fly round these parts, so im just passing along what i heard. take it for what you want
2.0L with about 300HP? That will be a rare care in 20-30 years.

Not because they won't make alot of them, because people will be wrecking alot of them! Why do you thing classic Mopar is so expensive these days?

Because they were powerful and couldn't handle well.

That and the back end always wanted to pass the front end.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If the redline version takes another year after release of the base Sky, you could option for the Mallett V8 version right away. The new pricing structure is $19,995 for the Mallett conversion and can be installed in 2 weeks after delivery. Wait a year more for 240+ hp for $4500+ over the base, or get 400 hp for $20,000 over base cost this spring.

Granted most people will wait for the upgraded version. Spending $15k more on the Sky is lot, but you will get a all around better car. The warranty will be fully covered by GM to boot.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You could also go with Air intake system, headers and CatBack, a little tuning and get close to that 200HP figure for about the same $1500.00

1 - 17 of 17 Posts