Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum for about a month now but this is my first post. My local dealer is supposed to get 4 sky's when they are released. My 500.00 deposit put me 2nd on the list to order when Saturn opens up ordering. Anyway, they called me today to tell me that do to a miscommunication that they had a red sky sitting in the show room and that it would only be there till 8am tomorrow morning. So I take off from work early and get to the dealer. I took many pics that I will post in a bit.
It was suprising at how little the sales people knew about the sky. I was telling them more about the car than they were telling me! Of course, all my knowledge has been from this forum.
about 5mins into my picture taking the sales rep asked if I wanted to sit in it but it had to be quick cause noone is supposed to touch the car. The transport driver that brought the car was napping at the local hotel and the managers were in a meeting so they opened the door. I jumped in the drivers seat and realized how cool this car really is. It feels fast. I put my hand on the shifter and told the sales rep to take my pic. As she was trying to figure out my camera I heard yelling coming from the back of the dealership. Uh oh, managers meeting is over and they spotted me!! they asked me to please get out very carefully, so I did. They weren't angry at me but extremely angry at the sales rep. Once I got out they took a cotton cloth and wiped all the fingerprints off the door handle so the transport driver wouldn't know.

They were very touchy about the car, wouldn't open the hood or the trunk for me but I have pics of the outside which you all have already seen.

Sitting in the sky really made me want it even more. To make a long story longer, it was alot of fun and I can't wait to drive this thing for real!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I am so jealous, that is just the color I want...
he is getting only 4, is that for the whole year?
wow... I have been told i am number one at our dealership... he said they are supposed to get 2 a month... :cool:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
According to the dealer, he is getting an initial 4 cars at release time. After that, he wasn't sure. He is hoping for more, but all he knew for sure was the 4. Of course, take any of this with a grain of salt... I am.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Man, that story was like a perfect movie.... made me laugh (visualizing the guy yelling from the back, knowing the sales person is gonna get in trouble); made me cry (thinking that I drove an hour yesterday for nothing to a car show to see the Saturn that wasn't there, and you "by chance" got to see the car, up front , in person and SAT in it); it was exciting (I visualized the Sales Manager flying across the showroom floor, sliding over ION's in his polyester suit, just to put his arms around the sales person's neck); and so on and so on. That's a very cool story, made the hairs on my arm stand up. I cannot wait to see the pictures, it's only too bad the person couldn't get that pic of you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have to tell you that sitting in one is just the beginning. Having drove a couple Solstice's in Detroit earlier this month and taking delivery of my own Solstice today was a blast! The car drives tight and secure on the road. The handling reminded me of the Porsche Boxster I drove in April. The shifter is smooth and tight through the first 4 gears. Fifth gear is a little wide to the right, but you get use to finding it.

Looking forward to getting my Sky next Spring as the body lines are more upscale looking to me. My hope is the Sky Redline will be out before the Solstice GXP and will become my frequent driver.

·
Registered
242 Posts
usmc said:
I have been reading this forum for about a month now but this is my first post. My local dealer is supposed to get 4 sky's when they are released. My 500.00 deposit put me 2nd on the list to order when Saturn opens up ordering. Anyway, they called me today to tell me that do to a miscommunication that they had a red sky sitting in the show room and that it would only be there till 8am tomorrow morning. So I take off from work early and get to the dealer. I took many pics that I will post in a bit.
It was suprising at how little the sales people knew about the sky. I was telling them more about the car than they were telling me! Of course, all my knowledge has been from this forum.
about 5mins into my picture taking the sales rep asked if I wanted to sit in it but it had to be quick cause noone is supposed to touch the car. The transport driver that brought the car was napping at the local hotel and the managers were in a meeting so they opened the door. I jumped in the drivers seat and realized how cool this car really is. It feels fast. I put my hand on the shifter and told the sales rep to take my pic. As she was trying to figure out my camera I heard yelling coming from the back of the dealership. Uh oh, managers meeting is over and they spotted me!! they asked me to please get out very carefully, so I did. They weren't angry at me but extremely angry at the sales rep. Once I got out they took a cotton cloth and wiped all the fingerprints off the door handle so the transport driver wouldn't know.

They were very touchy about the car, wouldn't open the hood or the trunk for me but I have pics of the outside which you all have already seen.

Sitting in the sky really made me want it even more. To make a long story longer, it was alot of fun and I can't wait to drive this thing for real!!!
I HOPE THAT YOU'RE PROUD OF YOURSELF! BECAUSE OF YOU, SOMEONE GOT IN TROUBLE! JUST SO THAT YOU COULD SIT IN THE CAR OF MY DREAMS! I HOPE THAT YOU'RE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF!.........................:cheers: :lol: HELL, I'M PROUD OF YOU! I AM SO ENVIOUS OF YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS SAT IN THAT VEHICLE..............WAY TO GO, FRIEND. YOU'VE DONE A GREAT SERVICE TO YOUR COUNTRY AND TO US ALL! GREAT GOING! I WOULD HAVE GIVEN ANYTHING TO SEE THE MANAGERS, ALL VAPOR-LOCK! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Where are your pics?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally have the pics up!

Sky Pics

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Did you see tilt stearing?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
usmc said:
Probably for the same reason they would never open the Solstice trunk/hood at car shows too. This is more then likely a hand built or very early pre-production car and the engine compartment isn't necisarily finished and there probably is no roof in the turnk either.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't notice if it had tilt steering or not. Brentil - that is exactly what they said, that much of the car wasn't functional. When they had me sit in it, the sales rep closed the door for me. When I tried to make a hasty escape (when I heard the yelling) I couldn't get out!! Come to find out that not even the inside door latches worked. The sales rep had to let me out using the outside door handles and I guess after closing the night before, a few of the gutsy employees tried to get the trunk open but couldn't find the release.
So the assumption was that there wasn't one, that the only way to open the trunk was with the keychain remote.
So I agree, some of these cars are pre-production or something.

·
Registered
623 Posts
brentil said:
Probably for the same reason they would never open the Solstice trunk/hood at car shows too. This is more then likely a hand built or very early pre-production car and the engine compartment isn't necisarily finished and there probably is no roof in the turnk either.
I talked to the guy at the cruise and he said the trunk in the traveling cars was not at all stock. his exact words is they "threw things in the trunk instead of attaching everything." Which would definatly explain the lack of people seeing them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice to see in another color besides silver or midnight blue! I wish we could get all the colors and cars lined up next to each other...NOW that would be a great picture!! :D Godd job on pics! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Those are some really cool pictures. I noticed a board behind the SKY display that looked like it had the colors and interier colors for the SKY. It that what it was?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
fkeillor said:
Those are some really cool pictures. I noticed a board behind the SKY display that looked like it had the colors and interier colors for the SKY. It that what it was?
The only board I saw in a few of the pics is a display that's in all of the dealerships showing the interior and exterior colors of the three current Saturn models. The fourth section appears to just have a Sky poster.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fkeillor said:
They didn't have any displays set up for the sky, nor did they have any literature. This was an unexpected visit by the transport driver and he was due to leave the next morning so I don't think they had time to set anything up. All they did was pull the car inside and call the people who had deposits in to come take a look. The displays you see are for other models.

Apparently, the driver was supposed to head south to Pebble beach but headed north instead before he figured out his mistake. So rather than turn around immediately, they had him drop it at the local dealer and catch up on some sleep before heading out to pebble beach. The car is due back for its "scheduled" visit on Sept 2nd.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Thanks, I guess the picture of the SKY on the color board had me hopeing that it was for the SKY. Maybe I'll see you on the 2nd. All ready took that day off. Any idea what time they will be moving the SKY around the lot. Would love to there early enough to get some video of it driving around. Maybe even get to hear what it sounds like.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts