Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noooo, not the car silly. I am still waiting for some chrome wheels. :jester:

But I did pick up my windscreen at the Post Office this morning.

I am soooooo envious of you folks that picked up cars already.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm delayed because of the chrome wheels also. I'm sitting at 030 still.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
dmbdlatc said:

Opinion of the windscreen? How is the quality? The edges of the screen? That is probably the exact one I will be ordering. The Sol owner I met the other day raved about it and I like that it would be a very subtle and functional addition.

I am a bit concered with the fact that the trunk lid BARELY shuts as it is and the weather stripping is smushed tight to make a weatherproof seal, I dont want to put any more stress on the stripping by taking even another centimeter away from the gap between the rim of the trunk and lid -- has anyone experienced problems with this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the edge is concerned. It looks like it has a great finish. For that one issue, you would be proud to have it on your car.

There is this in the paper work, "The deck lid will be a little tight the first few times that you close it. It will loosen up"

I don't know if that means that it will loosen up to the point of leaking or not. But, they all seem to be mounted in the same place, so if your going to get one, it doesn't seem to matter which one you get.

Can't say too much more about it because I DON'T HAVE MY CAR YET.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
"The deck lid will be a little tight the first few times that you close it. It will loosen up"
Thats not very comforting! Ha! Oh well, I wonder if you windscreen then there is no turning back. I would worry if it "loosens" the weather stripping it will be prone to leaks if you ever remove the screen or that the hood wood slam much harder without the buffer of the stripping, though as it is you need to give the lid a hefty force down to get it to shut anyway. How thick is it would you say?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Thats not very comforting! Ha! Oh well, I wonder if you windscreen then there is no turning back. I would worry if it "loosens" the weather stripping it will be prone to leaks if you ever remove the screen or that the hood wood slam much harder without the buffer of the stripping, though as it is you need to give the lid a hefty force down to get it to shut anyway. How thick is it would you say?
After looking at the SKY last night at the dealership...... and having to top put up and then back down... THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD GET THE WINDSCREEN.... it just seems like it will stretch the top a bit too much for my liking.... anyway.... I LIKE MY HAIR TO BLOW IN THE BREEZE..... not taking a chance on anything... SkyBab-07

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How thick is it would you say?

Don't have anything to messure it with right now. But I don't think that it is 1/4" thick. The web site says 3/16".

The web site says, "Will not scratch like 'Lexan'. " That is not to say it won't scratch (after all, it is plastic), just that doesn't seem to scratch as easily as Lexan.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, no car yet. But I think that no matter which way you go, if you are going to have a windscreen, the closing issue would be the same on both of the ones that I saw. However, I did NOT see the Saturn OEM windscreen. But I have no intention of parting with that much money +/-$300 for one.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:D
SkyBaby said:
After looking at the SKY last night at the dealership...... and having to top put up and then back down... THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD GET THE WINDSCREEN.... it just seems like it will stretch the top a bit too much for my liking.... anyway.... I LIKE MY HAIR TO BLOW IN THE BREEZE..... not taking a chance on anything... SkyBab-07
Ride Sky baby, Ride. How ya doing girl? Miss talking to ya :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To 1994SC2:

You have the car, correct? What to you think about the wind in the car? Do you think it is an issue? Or could you live and drive with out a windscreen? I could give an answer to that question first hand if I had a car, but I don't. I am waiting for some chrome wheels. Did I happen to mention that before? Perhaps I did already.:banghead:

·
Registered
438 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
To 1994SC2:

You have the car, correct? What to you think about the wind in the car? Do you think it is an issue? Or could you live and drive with out a windscreen? I could give an answer to that question first hand if I had a car, but I don't. I am waiting for some chrome wheels. Did I happen to mention that before? Perhaps I did already.:banghead:

I can tell you I have no problem with the wind, but my wife does. She has long hair and I wear the short messed up look...so I look the same messed up before and after. There is wind in the cocpit...(that's why I bought the car), I actually reached back where the shield would be and do feel a "backdraft" into the vehicle. So I would bet that the screen or shield would help. I just can't get enough of this car! I'm waiting to post pics!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
To 1994SC2:

I really don't think wind is really that bad of an issue. I can't talk on my cellphone headset because the wind that comes through the middle interferes with it, but otherwise its really just a small amount of wind. I also dump tons of gel in my hair so it doesnt really get messed up as I fire down the road.

You can carry on conversations with someone in the passenger seat as if you were sitting outside on a patio (no leaning in, no yelling, no asking to repeat) and wind doesn't come in to the car and blow away papers or anything.

It should be noted that with the top down AND windows up you have even less of an issue with the wind, however even with all that I liked the look of the glass windscreen and I think IF I get one I would get the one you purcashed. It definately falls under the "unnessesary" catagory in my opinion, but that won't stop me from getting any of the toys and gadgets for my car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
agirltrucker said:
:D
Ride Sky baby, Ride. How ya doing girl? Miss talking to ya :D
May be riding sooner than i ever thought possible... OMG..... I AM TOO HYPED UP.... LOVING THIS..... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SkyBaby said:
May be riding sooner than i ever thought possible... OMG..... I AM TOO HYPED UP.... LOVING THIS..... SkyBaby-07
And you do deserve it girlfriend, Congrats :cheers:

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
I don't think I will get a windscreen, since the fit of the trunk may change with it. I have relatively short hair, and it blows all around with the windows and top down, but I just put on my sunglasses, a hat and go! I always carry a pick to help when I get to where I'm going:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
dmbdlatc said:

So,.. Are U suppossed to run with it er somthin'?? I got me 10 Gallons of Gas & I can't wait to get my SKY to Filler Up... By the time I get it,.. gas prices will be so high that I can't afford a refill with the first months of Car Payments. JK:cheers: :willy:
Also,.. I was told my payment will be around $612 / mo,.. Is that ussual with you guys who own the Sky so far???

·
Registered
140 Posts
dmbdlatc said:

Yours will be there soon and when you do get it, you will really enjoy it. It is a great car. I went back to visit my Saturn dealer the other day and he said the chrome wheels are on hold but they are offering a "High" polished wheel in the absence of the chrome. You may want to try and get a picture. Best of luck and if you are like me, you will make excuses to drive the car.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slade said:
So,.. Are U suppossed to run with it er somthin'?? I got me 10 Gallons of Gas & I can't wait to get my SKY to Filler Up...

Also,.. I was told my payment will be around $612 / mo,.. Is that ussual with you guys who own the Sky so far???
I'm going to put the windscreen up on my trophy shelf until the car gets here.

Ya know, I hate to admit this but I too went out to get 10 gal of gas for the car. The gas is sitting in the garage right now. I figured I would stock up before prices went any higher on the primium fuel and I could not afford it any more. When I got put on hold because of the chrome wheels, I added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to the fuel.:jester:

$612.00 / mo is not bad if you only have 12 payments to make.:D Anyway, it's tough to figure out the VALUE of a car payment, (amount financed, interest rate, time fincanced). About the only thing that we could really compare is the interest rate. I asked about financing the car in the unlikely event I go that way, I believe my Saturn dealer said it was around 8%, but it changes alot.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Slade said:
So,.. Are U suppossed to run with it er somthin'?? I got me 10 Gallons of Gas & I can't wait to get my SKY to Filler Up... By the time I get it,.. gas prices will be so high that I can't afford a refill with the first months of Car Payments. JK:cheers: :willy:
It all depends on what you put down and how much they will give you on your trade in. The bigger the down, the lower the payments. Also your credit depends on what it will be. What did they give you for an interest rate?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
dmbdlatc said:
I'm going to put the windscreen up on my trophy shelf until the car gets here.

Ya know, I hate to admit this but I too went out to get 10 gal of gas for the car. The gas is sitting in the garage right now. I figured I would stock up before prices went any higher on the primium fuel and I could not afford it any more. When I got put on hold because of the chrome wheels, I added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to the fuel.:jester:

$612.00 / mo is not bad if you only have 12 payments to make.:D Anyway, it's tough to figure out the VALUE of a car payment, (amount financed, interest rate, time fincanced). About the only thing that we could really compare is the interest rate. I asked about financing the car in the unlikely event I go that way, I believe my Saturn dealer said it was around 8%, but it changes alot.
8%???? darling I would shop around, thats very high for a new car :confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I must admit that I didn't really pay attention to his answer. When it wasn't in the 0% to 3% range, I just tuned out. It could have been in the 7% range, but I know it wasn't much lower than that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts