Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! I sat in a Solstice the other day. It was impressive to say the least. It had a nice fit. Lots of leg and sholder room. It was better than the Miata for sure. The trunk issues is a non issue. There is still enough room to put a couple of small bags in the trunk with the roof down.

Everyone seemed to have a problem with the trunk closing. You have to close it from fairly high and you have to give it a shove. The roof looks good although I don't think they have all the issues worked out yet. There were a few wrinkles at the back near where the roof meets the trunk.

The engine didn't sound to bad. If you're looking for a V8 sound record it and play it in your DVD or look for another car! I was so excited I almost bought the Solstice. It took an unexpected call from my wife to get me out of the car... Ring "Where are you?" "Sitting in a Solstice" "Get out! Now." LOL :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me, too

Lost Sol said:
How did the seats feel and were they leather, or cloth?
I, also, sat in a Solstice. It was at my local dealer and had leather seats and wrapped steering wheel. I seat lower than expected, but was comfortable with the seat in a good driving postition. The shift throw is very nice. View from the cockpit will take some visual retraining from my Ion, but it was about what I expected.

·
Registered
328 Posts
mhw745 said:
I, also, sat in a Solstice. It was at my local dealer and had leather seats and wrapped steering wheel. I seat lower than expected, but was comfortable with the seat in a good driving postition. The shift throw is very nice. View from the cockpit will take some visual retraining from my Ion, but it was about what I expected.
How tall are you?

I have heard that 5' 8" and above have good lines of sight, but people around 5' 7" and below might have some difficulties (like the Z3).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lost Sol said:
How tall are you?

I have heard that 5' 8" and above have good lines of sight, but people around 5' 7" and below might have some difficulties (like the Z3).
I'm 5'8" on a good day, Lost. I seem to be getting shorter with age, but I liked the sight line though it is a bit low. However, I owned an MG Midget which smaller had a fairly low sight line.

Hope that helps, my friend.

·
Registered
328 Posts
mhw745 said:
I'm 5'8" on a good day, Lost. I seem to be getting shorter with age, but I liked the sight line though it is a bit low. However, I owned an MG Midget which smaller had a fairly low sight line.

Hope that helps, my friend.
Good to hear ... I guess we are just a hair short! :D I owned a 1991 MR2, so I figure that the LOS cannot be too much worse.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I totally forgot to post this here after I made it at the solsticeforum.com.

I fit, I fit!
I got to sit in my first Solstice. I have to say all my fears are gone. Added some of my comments vs the MSM and Z3 since they're the only other modern Roadsters I've driven. This is NOT a knock on the MSM, it's a valid comparison for those who tried it and had various height based issues that stopped them from being able to drive one like me (because otherwise I would have bought the MSM).
  • I perfectly fit with the roof up!!! I had a good half inch above my hair (which I spike up) to the roof when sitting completely upright. I'm 5'10" but I have a short inseam so I sit like I'm over 6'. In the MSM the roof crushed my hair and rested on my skull even while slouching down. Headroom height was very comparable to the Z3.
  • Thanks to the tilt wheel I can see the guages perfectly fine. I don't remember having a big issue with the Z3 or MSM with this, but the wheels on both of those did slightly cover the very tops of the guages.
  • The AFBTSs block my line of site as much as the pillars in my wife's RSX. I'm used to having very minimal blind spots from my ZX2, it's just an issue of me becoming more accustomed to using side/rearview mirors more then I'm used to. I've only driven the Z3 and MSM with the roof down, so no comments on those cars.
  • Side mirros are small, but sufficient. Since I didn't drive the Solstice I didn't get to test them in traffic, but they're comparable to the MSM and Z3.
  • The rearview mirror is perfectly designed to encompass the entire rear window, which (the rear window) amasinigly supplies a very nice rearward view. Comparable to Z3 mirror. In the MSM I sit so tall I had to put the rearview mirror in night-brightlight viewing mode because it doesn't tilt up high enough to even see out the back of the car.
  • The clutch ended up being better then my ZX2 S/R, and I already loved the clutch throw on the ZX2. It was much better then the older Z3 and I'd say on par with the MSM. I can definitely see this being very easy to blip on down shifts.
  • Shifter throw distance is nice, and gave very good gate feedback that let me know when I was in a gear. I had issues with the MSM being too smooth that I was very unsure if I had engaged it completely. The Z3 had good feedback, but not as good as the new Solstice (Z3 was an older 97).
  • The windshield height is high enough for me to look out of it without issues at all. I wouldn't complain if it was a bit taller though. The sun visors are very small and reverse fold flush with the surround, but if you're like me it's a major plus. The Z3 seemed to have more viewable space up and down since it's less angled, but the Solstice seems to have more left to right since it's more rounded and doesn't have little side windows. MSM is very much like the Z3 but when I sit in it completely upright I'm stairing directly at the windshield surround. It's actually easier to see over the windshield then under at that point. When I slouch down in order to see enough to drive the sun visors then take up a good 1/3 of my vission.
  • With my build I sit high enough I can put my arm on the window. It's at a slight angle upwards, but still doable. However the only reason I did this is because it seems important to a lot of people. Personally my left arm is never in the window unless I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, which isn't very often. I've got cruise control on my Solstice but I don't plan on ever using it, so while driving there is absolutely no reason my left arm should ever be away from the steering wheel. MSM & Z3 have much lower doors so arm resting is very easy on them. However this is part of the reason I like the Solstice. All my larger friends who own the Z3 or Miata who sit in them look so out of place in this low down car with such low doors. Like they're in a Shriner car. I love how you look like you're down in the car, instead of riding on the car.
  • This car is HOT

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car felt nice. Comfortable! Adjusting the seat forward and back was easy but adjusting the angle of the seat was somewhat difficult. There is a knob on the side of the seat that is hard to reach. You will have to adjust it from outside of the car and you'll have to bend over to do it.

Most things were within easy reach but the storage and items between the seats to the rear of the driver were a bit difficult to reach if I remember correctly.

I credit this site for my ability to close the trunk properly. The sales people didn't quite have the knack. You have to push down firmly from fairly high (like in the video that was posted on this site). You might think you are almost slaming the dam thing down but it's what it takes to latch it.

The roof was easy to open and to replace. One person can do it easily. The car had a nice feel inside. I'd like to sit the car beside a Miata though to compare the exterior dimensions. I know the Solstice/ Sky are slightly larger though. The Solstice seemed bigger somehow.

I have to say again... I was ready to buy one right there.

Nice car!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great Post!!!

brentil said:
I totally forgot to post this here after I made it at the solsticeforum.com.
Thank you

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Sky comes with a booster seat. :lol: No really I think you'll be fine. I find the roof line on the windshield a little low on all sport cars. I told you before that you are going to look GOOOODDDD in your Sky. :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
You guys are worrying me a bit, because I'm only 5'1 (barely). I drive a pretty low car now.
You may want to go to the Solstice forum and ask this question, maybe there are owners that can help you with the correct answer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
You guys are worrying me a bit, because I'm only 5'1 (barely). I drive a pretty low car now.
Ah, you won't have any problem. I 6'2" and these are a couple of pictures taken while I'm sitting in my Solstice

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27619281035.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27717382221.jpg&s=x7

Just kidding. 5'10" is probably ideal, but take a look at the Solstice sitting next to a G6. Its low

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27714123014.jpg&s=x7

·
Registered
328 Posts
Marco said:
Ah, you won't have any problem. I 6'2" and these are a couple of pictures taken while I'm sitting in my Solstice

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27619281035.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27717382221.jpg&s=x7

Just kidding. 5'10" is probably ideal, but take a look at the Solstice sitting next to a G6. Its low

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/27714123014.jpg&s=x7
:D

My wife is around 5'1" (5' 2"ish on a good day) and she had just a little trouble with my 1991 MR2 and believe it sat lower than the Sol. However, I believe the seat plays more into the "line of sight," than the height of the car. JMHO Some people have spoke of adding spacers, but if you do it on the drivers side, then you will need to do it on the passengers side. (or your seats will not "match" and it will look odd)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lost Sol said:
My wife is around 5'1" (5' 2"ish on a good day) and she had just a little trouble with my 1991 MR2 and believe it sat lower than the Sol.
and
Angelqute1 said:
Do you know each other? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts