Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Solstice with 49 miles for sale today by a private owner and had the opportunity to test drive it over about 10 miles of twisty, hilly back roads. I have to say I am very much impressed. The car handles superbly and rides really well for a sportscar. The only thing I have to compare it with is a 2.8 liter BMW Z3 which I previously owned and my 3.0 liter BMW Z4 and 2.0 liter Miata which I presenly own. First it rides and handles every bit as well as the BMW's. I find it very similar to the Z3. It definitely rides and handles better than the Miata. Both the BMW's and the Miata seem quicker though. The Solstice seems a little underpowered. I wasn't real fond of the longer throw in the Solstice shifter (compared to the Miata) and there seemed to me to be power lag ratio problem from 2nd to 3rd gear. But all that aside, these are beatifully designed automobiles and when you factor in the exterior and interior looks....no contest. Since a hot engine is not that big a deal with me, I can't wait to get my Sky! I would definitely order the super charged redline though if it was available.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
If you're not in the right RPM range between 2nd to 3rd it wont seem right.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
101jinx101 said:
Brentil, what RPM range would you say is right for 2nd and 3rd?
You have to be high enough so that when you shift you move the gears fast enough to never let the RPM band drop below 4000 rpm. The higher the better though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
brentil said:
You have to be high enough so that when you shift you move the gears fast enough to never let the RPM band drop below 4000 rpm. The higher the better though.
Won't you be in the Red Line to maintain 4000rpm at your shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?

I have the same problem with my current Saturn, a huge lag between 2nd and 3rd. I've tested it and to stay above 4000rpm when I shift, I have to change gear at 6100rpm witch is in the middle RED :eek:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Snowy_Beast said:
Won't you be in the Red Line to maintain 4000rpm at your shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?

I have the same problem with my current Saturn, a huge lag between 2nd and 3rd. I've tested it and to stay above 4000rpm when I shift, I have to change gear at 6100rpm witch is in the middle RED :eek:
Red line on the Solstice is approx. 6800 rpm. (I'm doing this exercise from memory.) If you shift to 3rd at 6500-6600, the revs will drop to 4300-4400.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sky-Sol said:
Red line on the Solstice is approx. 6800 rpm. (I'm doing this exercise from memory.) If you shift to 3rd at 6500-6600, the revs will drop to 4300-4400.

Yeah... I've just went to GMNews to find out that Sky Redline is for 2008 model (So I guess year 2007) and that 6800 rpm is exactly on the Red Line.

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It's not a problem if you shift faster too. That defintely helps keep the RPMs even higher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts