Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this stud laying on top of the water pump of my friend's 2007 2.4L Sky. I've never seen one like this on the car anywhere. She recently had her hood changed due to someone hitting her hood in a parking lot. It's possible this fastener is related to that and not the engine.

However, she's been complaining of spurious white smoke billowing out from under the hood at stoplights. Obviously oil getting onto the exhaust somehow. This stud looks like something that would plug a hole into the oil supply somewhere. So, the two may be related.

Can anyone give me an idea where to look for the hole this stud might fit into?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this stud laying on top of the water pump of my friend's 2007 2.4L Sky. I've never seen one like this on the car anywhere. She recently had her hood changed due to someone hitting her hood in a parking lot. It's possible this fastener is related to that and not the engine.

However, she's been complaining of spurious white smoke billowing out from under the hood at stoplights. Obviously oil getting onto the exhaust somehow. This stud looks like something that would plug a hole into the oil supply somewhere. So, the two may be related.

It does kind of look like an exhaust manifold bolt.
SatSky

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Cannot swear to this...but it looks like one of the bolts that go on the side of the frame...others can explain it better. Where we installed the cross bracket by venom and now DDM...I am not home and cannot take a pic of my engine area where it probably came from...just a guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SatSky
Yes! I noticed that as well but all the exhaust-to-cat bolts are present. Also, their heads are a standard hex whereas this little guy has a Torx tip. Good guess though!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cannot swear to this...but it looks like one of the bolts that go on the side of the frame...others can explain it better. Where we installed the cross bracket by venom and now DDM...I am not home and cannot take a pic of my engine area where it probably came from...just a guess.
That would make sense, given the body work it just had (hood change). I'll poke around the sides of the frame members. Maybe a worker put it on the head and it fell down onto the pump and he didn't notice. Thanks!

If convenient at some point soon, a picture would help!

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
That would make sense, given the body work it just had (hood change). I'll poke around the sides of the frame members. Maybe a worker put it on the head and it fell down onto the pump and he didn't notice. Thanks!

If convenient at some point soon, a picture would help!
I will be home Sunday evening..will take a pic if it is the correct screw.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

Although I am not home...just recalled what that stud is for....it is usually found in the trunk or your foot rest on the drivers side...that extra tit is used for a rubber cone that hides the screw...its a protection from rubbing against something...if u look at your footrest or look behind your trunk liner, u will see these rubber cones used as a protection...have to look at my engine to see if there is one there.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Does the end looked like it sheared off, or does it look like the stud was removed for some reason?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Wait, looking a bit closer... there is something wrong... the threads on the bottom don't go to the bottom, so the stud could not be threaded into a hole, this thing either sheared off, or it almost looks like it pulled or twisted out of the original hole taking some of that metal with it (which is now on the bottom of the stud)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Somewhat looks like a main battery post connector. Did she change her battery recently.
With the recent 105* weather you have been getting lately
would be more concerned with the smoke coming out from under the hood. :eek:

·
Registered
17,336 Posts

It is the screw that holds the catalytic converter...there are many screws that are identical in the engine compartment and all over this car...but I zeroed in on the engine and the smell of oil...I just took pics...will upload shortly

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is the screw that holds the catalytic converter...there are many screws that are identical in the engine compartment and all over this car...but I zeroed in on the engine and the smell of oil...I just took pics...will upload shortly
Are the pics of the cat bolts and the front bracket bolts what you intended to upload? If so, yes, they look similar but all my cat bolts are present, as are the hood bolts. Also, the hood bolts lack the Torx tip on them (I noticed this on my car as well).

I'll keep looking for the hole. Appreciate the help bunches!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, looking a bit closer... there is something wrong... the threads on the bottom don't go to the bottom, so the stud could not be threaded into a hole, this thing either sheared off, or it almost looks like it pulled or twisted out of the original hole taking some of that metal with it (which is now on the bottom of the stud)
You're right!!! I looked closely and the threads restart at the tip, once past the flat sided area, and are clearly shorn off. The broken end makes clear the nut was over tightened until the bolt sheered. That being solved, I'd really like to know from where it broke off so I can ensure it's not going to be a critical failure point. There's enough thread left, from the looks of the bolt, that they may have replaced the bolt so there may not be a hole. I'll look for a shiny new bolt in the car now as well.

Great call. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Somewhat looks like a main battery post connector. Did she change her battery recently.
With the recent 105* weather you have been getting lately
would be more concerned with the smoke coming out from under the hood. :eek:
Yeah, the smoke seems more urgent. You sure it's oil, and not coolant? Odor?

·
Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
SatSky
Yes! I noticed that as well but all the exhaust-to-cat bolts are present. Also, their heads are a standard hex whereas this little guy has a Torx tip. Good guess though!
I want to follow up to this thought.

The cat to exhaust bolts are different from exhaust manifold bolts. Exhaust manifold bolts connect the exhaust manifold to the engine head.

Here is a picture of them without the exhaust manifold on. You can see them sticking out just under the valve cover on the side of the head. There is one (you can just barely see it's tip) just above the water pump.

Considering you found this on top of the water pump, this could also point to the exhaust manifold since it has studs right above that area. IF you haven't taken the stock heat shield off the exhaust manifold, you wouldn't be able to see these bolts/studs as they would be hidden by the manifold. The NA's shield can be easily removed to check these (the turbo is a bit more work) so I would remove that heat shield and check all your exhaust manifold to head studs. This could also explain where there is smoke coming from places it shouldn't. If you have an exhaust leak at that point, then the Air Fuel ratio seen by the O2 sensor is going to read lean (extra air entering the exhaust stream before the sensor but after combustion). This condition would cause the ECM to deliver more fuel to try and get the AF ratio right (but it is right) leading to what really is a rich condition. The lower Air to Fuel ratio could create the "smoke" which would then leak out the exhaust leak and lead to the smoke from under the hood.

IF it is one of these studs, the fix will not be simple. They will need to try and get the rest of the stud out of the head with something like an easy out. Worse case scenario they will need to drill it out, enlarge the hole, and insert a helicoil then replace the stud and nut.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts