Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the photos of the results of my spray-on coating over the Idiot Stickers on my visors. The process is described here.
  • Photo 1 - before, with the handy reminder to place kids in the back seat of the SKY. And, helpfully this is provided in English as well as in a language that I don't read. Yay!
  • Photo 2 - after, more or less the same view. Now I can be an idiot if I want to!
  • Photo 3 - view of the edge of the visor. The top half above the seam is coated, the bottom half below the seam is not. See the difference? Me neither!
  • Photo 4 - view of both visors. The flash emphasizes the color somewhat; in normal light it is pretty much indistinguishable.
  • Photo 5 - Closeup of one visor. No sticker!
The coating that results is a textured rubber surface, very similar to the plastic underneath. (It gave this same textured surface when sprayed on a smooth piece of plastic as a test, too.) It is not glossy at all, and it is very flexible and stretchy being rubber. It looks like there is no way for it to chip. I was able to peel it off the smooth test plastic if I worked at it, so this may even be a reversible process if you decide you want the idiot stickers back.

Anyway, I did it to my car, and I like it. Thought you might want to do it, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Awesome job....those visors look fantastic!!! :thumbs: I'll be making a Home Depot run to see if they have this stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Genius!!

:lol:
RMFNSKY said:
I'm going to have to remember this post after I get my Sky, looks really nice and finished!:thumbs:
John your awesome. I hate those idiot stickers.
Hey, can I bring you my car since you seem to like tinkering? Ha, ha, :lol:
Terry

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks awesome! You're like Wile E. Coyote- super genius. Let us know how it holds up to our 100 degree heat, sticky factor, finger print marks, cleanability, etc.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Me too!

tolaiz said:
:lol:

John your awesome. I hate those idiot stickers.
Hey, can I bring you my car since you seem to like tinkering? Ha, ha, :lol:
Terry
We'll be there in an hour or so.....??:jester:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Has anyone tried goop off? I was listening to some radio talk show host who did it with goop off and a wash cloth

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skywulf said:
Has anyone tried goop off? I was listening to some radio talk show host who did it with goop off and a wash cloth
They are not "stickers" applied to the visor; they are pre-printed plastic sheets that are molded into the plastic material of the visor during the casting process. They look like they are painted on, but that's because they are cast into the material of the visors themselves. No way to "peel them off" no matter what you use; you would have to "grind them off" or otherwise eat into the visor material leaving some sort of scar.

For me, the only viable way out was to cover them up with something, and the rubber worked well.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
That is a really great job. I was considering using the plasticoat paint myself. How does what you used stand up to the heat? Just wondering if the label mentioned anything about it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marklynn70 said:
That is a really great job. I was considering using the plasticoat paint myself. How does what you used stand up to the heat? Just wondering if the label mentioned anything about it.
I don't recall any heat-specific warnings, but in the suggested uses there was stuff like "running boards on trucks" and "deck surfaces of boats" and similar applicaitons. I would think that those would be high heat appilcations, and it is recommended for those.

I did an extensive test by spraying a Tupperware bowl to see how it looked and what the adhesion was. I did notice that it made a pretty good sticky coating that was not prone to tearing. I masked the tupperware with scotch tape - but that was a smooth surface - and when I went to peel off the tape the rubber was pretty strong and flexible, and was peeling off the bowl and coming up with the tape... Very strong stuff. I found that on the bowl I could use an X-Acto knife to score along the edge of the tape, and then the rubber stuck well to the bowl and left a super-clean edge along the scoring with no peelback or anything.

I was prepared to use an X-Acto on the visor as well, but with the groove on the edge of the visor this just wasn't necessary. The tape came off and did not cause the rubber to peel away at all. Also, on the bowl, I gave three very heavy coats all the way over the edge of the tape. On the visors I covered the flat surface pretty well, but let the rubber spray "fade" to the edges since the color match was so good. I think this "fade" to the edge, aided by the trough in the seam, allowed me to pull off the masking without loosening the rubber on the front face of the visor. And, judging by the way it behaved on the bowl, I think it is unlikey to tear or "curl back" from the edge. Chipping is impossible. The material just doesn't behave that way.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Thank you that was very informative, I followed the link and made note of the product used. May have to do this myself very soon. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I got to see these for myself, and they look good.
They may have had a chance to cure a bit from the first pics, so adding a few newer ones.
They look very very similar in hue to the rest of the cars interior and feel very "normal".
I'll continue to watch here to see how they hold up, although they look like they should.
This looks like a good mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like it!:)
Does the spray on Plastic Dip stuff remain rubbery or sticky in any way?
How long before it is dry enough to handle?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TX-Sky said:
I like it!:)
Does the spray on Plastic Dip stuff remain rubbery or sticky in any way?
How long before it is dry enough to handle?
The surface is a little less slippery (it's rubber versus slick plastic, so you get better traction) but that's only if you slide your fingers over it. It's not what I would call "sticky" at all, it's just not slick. If you didn't know the difference, you wouldn't know the difference.

The stuff dries pretty quick and is ready for another coat in 30 minutes, and fully dry in 24 hours. It was ready to handle after about an hour or two. I did it all in an afternoon, including remounting them after a couple of hours, no problem. They "fully set" while mounted in the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the info they look absolutely great, this will be a definite for me when I get my sky

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like your style...I'm getting the same color Redline with the same interior!:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts