Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember right (correct me if I am wrong), there were brief talks or speculation of this and maybe calling it the Stingray?

What would you of called the Sky if it had moved to the Chevy line?

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
Stingray would have been a horrible name just because that is so tied to the Vette. Obviously Chevy was hot to bring that name back though. Would have been nice for them to bring back the Nova on the Kappa chassis...maybe a Vega and make it a BRZ/FRS/86 competitor...but our Sky as a Chevy...Chevy Pegasus...

Because a Corvette is a type of ship from the age of sail smaller, faster, and more lightly armed than a Frigate. A step down from a Corvette is a Fast Patrol Boat...or PT Boat. Obviously PT is already associated with Chrysler so Pegasus, being a class of US Navy Hydrofoil Fast Patrol Boats from the late 70s to early 90s would seem appropriate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I remember that, too.
But I cannot find any references to it on Google.
It's a shame how things not online "don't exist"
At the time, I liked the name choice.
People forget that name had long since fell into disuse.
I also wouldn't have minded if they had kept the name "Stingray" for the V8, and then used something like "Manta Ray" for the 4.
And how about "Devil Ray" for a V6 model?

·
Registered
34 Posts
And, while we are on the topic, I think there should be a factory "Firebird" (badging) option on the Camaro (yes I know there are aftermarket conversions)

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
One other note on this proposal back then....I believe they were thinking of putting a 6 or 8 cylinder in the car...but they did not want it to be a competitor to the Corvette brand.

·
Registered
317 Posts
MM, on the "no compete w/ the 'vette clause" I say EXACTLY. After my experience w/ the Sky I'd still buy a lightweight domestic roadster without a 6 or 8 cylinder lump.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
MM, on the "no compete w/ the 'vette clause" I say EXACTLY. After my experience w/ the Sky I'd still buy a lightweight domestic roadster without a 6 or 8 cylinder lump.
With the larger engines come stronger suspensions. When mallett installed the C2 engines, the entire suspension was changed...and of course the best exhaust sound...the Borla.

·
Registered
742 Posts
And, while we are on the topic, I think there should be a factory "Firebird" (badging) option on the Camaro (yes I know there are aftermarket conversions)
I actually saw a posting regarding a Trans Am, they were debating on whether it should be a Camaro option or a (get this) a Buick Trans Am. I will see if I can find it.

Terry
:cheers:

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Borla

With the larger engines come stronger suspensions. When mallett installed the C2 engines, the entire suspension was changed...and of course the best exhaust sound...the Borla.
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well. As for what to call it...it always seems like the good names are taken until you hear a good one. The sound of a good V8 is always good.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well. As for what to call it...it always seems like the good names are taken until you hear a good one. The sound of a good V8 is always good.
Nothing like a V8! The ole days when the engine started, u could tell which American manufacturer it was.

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
I owned a legendary Stingray, not sure I would have liked that name for a new Sky. Having owned both, the Sky is a far better car to drive and enjoy. Loved my Vette, but the Skpel is way more fun to drive.

As to being a Buick, the Solstice is a hand down from the 1954 Chevy Nomad (never produced) How it is in that category, no idea, but you can find the pictures if you look hard enough. But the top has the lines of the Nomad, that is about all I can see currently. I think I posted the information when I was researching the Mallett. Mike the sound is the only thing I miss about the Mallett.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I grew up going around w/ my Dad in some great American cars (coupes ONLY). Then when the foreign cars started making smaller, lighter, more stylish cars he transitioned to them, that lasted 3 or 4 cars - which isn't long for him. He went back to Vette for 3 generations (C4, C5, early C6). He got old and started buying a foreign luxury marque, and that's all he's bought since then. He had their roadster in his fleet for awhile, but it didn't take, and he's always had their crossover and their flagship sedan in his garage as well. If the Bowtie released something like a Kappa, I could almost see him experimenting with it. I'd love to see him go back to something like that.

Now I'm thinking I've got to go over there to take him for a ride! Thanks.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would use this one...was at the car show today and to make it short and sweet...women told me that Mallett died of lung cancer...that is why he went out of business.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts