Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts
Don't think that is correct. I talked with Ken Kelly and he said he was fine a couple of years ago. That he talked with him regularly. I heard he was back to work at GM. Any other rumors? I suppose it could have happened recently, if so GM and the Solstice Kappa Family lost a great performance car designer.

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well.
If there is ANY question that there is a "non-compete" mentality with the Vette, just look at the Cadillac XLR. Built on the Vette chassis, never had Vette performance.

I was lucky enough to have Jim Wanger (Google him...) as a member of my So Cal Pontiac Grand Prix club. He would come out to some of our events and talk for hours about the history of Pontiac, the 3800 "Buick Fireball" V6, and the GTO. I remember him telling a story of when John DeLorean was running Pontiac and wanted to come out with a Pontiac that would have put the Corvette to shame. GM pulled the plug on the project then took the design and made it under the Corvette name plate shortly thereafter. Wish I could remember the details but he verified that there very much is a "non-compete" clause within the GM design studios when it comes to the Corvette.

I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would use this one...was at the car show today and to make it short and sweet...women told me that Mallett died of lung cancer...that is why he went out of business.
Don't think that is correct. I talked with Ken Kelly and he said he was fine a couple of years ago. That he talked with him regularly. I heard he was back to work at GM. Any other rumors? I suppose it could have happened recently, if so GM and the Solstice Kappa Family lost a great performance car designer.
I really would like confirmation on this. Very sad if true.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If there is ANY question that there is a "non-compete" mentality with the Vette, just look at the Cadillac XLR. Built on the Vette chassis, never had Vette performance.

I was lucky enough to have Jim Wanger (Google him...) as a member of my So Cal Pontiac Grand Prix club. He would come out to some of our events and talk for hours about the history of Pontiac, the 3800 "Buick Fireball" V6, and the GTO. I remember him telling a story of when John DeLorean was running Pontiac and wanted to come out with a Pontiac that would have put the Corvette to shame. GM pulled the plug on the project then took the design and made it under the Corvette name plate shortly thereafter. Wish I could remember the details but he verified that there very much is a "non-compete" clause within the GM design studios when it comes to the Corvette.

I really would like confirmation on this. Very sad if true.
As for Mallett, I had seen somewhere that he was doing "part-time" performance work for GM. This was several years ago, and I haven't heard anything about him since then.

So I don't know . . .

:dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rebranding Sky

First, it should have been re-branded the Buick Skylark.

Second, fixed the top issues and and upgraded the instrument panel and suspension to be a true roadster.

Third, only a couple of options, automatic/stick/ four colors and two interiors and all units turbo.

Fourth, like Porsche, only small upgrades over the next 15 years

Fifth: job out ASSEMBLY like Ford does on some of their high preformance cars

Sixth: limit annual production to 7,000 units on order basis. (no stock)

Seventh , price around $32,000

·
Registered
742 Posts

Second, fixed the top issues and and upgraded the instrument panel and suspension to be a true roadster.

Third, only a couple of options, automatic/stick/ four colors and two interiors and all units turbo.

1. Why? Not saying it's wrong, just curious to hear your thinking
2. Once again please expand on this.
3. With all due respect does that make a true roadster?
4. Once again with all due respect does that make a true roadster? We all want upgrades.
5. I personally have no comment
6. I personally have no comment
7. I personally have no comment

Terry
:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts

There is nothing about any version of the Skylark that says "roadster" to me, so I will stick with "Lightning".
Two seats, rear-wheel drive, and a somehow-put-downable-top make it a roadster already. Anything else fits into your #4 .
Aside from limiting sales I'm not sure what this would accomplish, so no.
I am all for continuity so I'll agree that this is desirable, but it would happen more along the lines of the evolution of the Corvette.
I can see maybe getting better build quality, but that isn't a given.
Combine this with #5 and you will never accomplish #7 .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buick needed a halo car or preformance car at that time 2010. Buick had the name Buick Skylark locked up from the 6-'s. While not a roadster it was a convertable.
I have had my Sky for 12 years and love it. Never been in the snow and always in a heated garage. Looks like new. Top was never state of the art no easy to work with. Original cost restraints ( GM going bankrupt) they cut cornors on instrument panel and suspension.
It's not ment to be a for profit car but a halo car to entice people into showroom. Something like Chrysler Prowler. Limit production numbers and make it truly unique and desirable. The sheet metal already does much of this already.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I wouldn't NOT drive a Skylark, but I'd rather drive a "Lightning" OR a "Blitz"
The way the top operates is weird, but I kind of like having to interact with it, and since most don't drive in rain, closing it isn't difficult.
I don't know about limiting options, but the rest sound liveable, and might allow a bypass of 5-7.
Do you mean small revisions/refinements to the platform? Like Porsche does the 911? That's pretty genius. Shows commitment to the product.
Sub out the assembly to where? KC?:laugh: Or would doing it domestically drive the price above the $32k threshold in #7 below.
I can see reasons for limiting production, and most of them would be good reasons.
Seems to me that if you price it at $32k that many of the folks that would consider the car just: 1) dig a little deeper to buy something more exotic, OR go cheaper to get a more "luxury" marque.

·
Super Moderator
11,101 Posts
Buick needed a halo car or preformance car at that time 2010. Buick had the name Buick Skylark locked up from the 6-'s. While not a roadster it was a convertable.
I have had my Sky for 12 years and love it. Never been in the snow and always in a heated garage. Looks like new. Top was never state of the art no easy to work with. Original cost restraints ( GM going bankrupt) they cut cornors on instrument panel and suspension.
It's not ment to be a for profit car but a halo car to entice people into showroom. Something like Chrysler Prowler. Limit production numbers and make it truly unique and desirable. The sheet metal already does much of this already.
Uhhhhhh...

Double unequal upper and lower control arms with adjustable camber, castor, and toe front and rear with coil over shocks using Blistien damper units with front and rear anti-sway bars on a twin-rail hydroformed steel frame...For an OEM suspension from the mid 2000s it doesn't get much better than that. The Corvette didn't have adjustable rear castor until 2013 and only it's magnetic suspension is better than our stock dampers/springs when it comes to OEM.

The ONE thing GM didn't cut corners on when it came to our cars were the chassis and suspension short of the tunnel brace. That's where they focused most of their attention and is one reason why you won't find it on anything else GM makes or made.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There was a car Chevy version Kappa car that was not produced called a Chevy Stingray.
Actually, I don't believe it was ever supposed to be called that. They certainly did look at a badging exercise, though and a V6 engine, but that was before they issued the turbo version and one assumes that at some point GM decided to go that way instead of an NA V6.

Given that the GXP was featured at the LA car show in January of 2006 and released for sale in the Fall of that year, thoughts of a V6 alternative may have persisted alongside the 4 cylinder development. Anyone know for sure?

See https://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/16/v6-corvette-rumors-are-rumored-to-be-true/

Statement from the dealer talking to Autoblog indicating that the Stingray name was never under consideration.

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts
Having owned a 67 Corvette StingRay, I think it would have offended me. I loved that car, wish I had never sold/traded it. Most likely would have pissed me off to see either the Solstice or Sky carrying the SingRay name plate.

Like it pissed me off when Ford came out with the giant boats that they called Crown Victoria's. Naming it after one of the best looking 2 doors ever made. But I guess it was at least another Ford.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Over here in the UK we could have had some fun with the naming.

GM sold a range of Daewoo vehicles over here in the 2000's before ditching the Daewoo name and rebranding them as Chevrolet. This didn't result in the hoped for sales boost (and probably diluted the Chevy name in the eyes of us Brits), so these vehicles are no longer sold here and the Chevrolet brand name is reserved for the imported Camaro, with Corvette marketed as a brand of its own.

Had it been built in RHD and sold here in the UK, the Sky would no doubt have been branded as a Vauxhall VX of some fashion, perhaps VX200 to mirror the previous Lotus assembled VX220 or it would have taken the concept's VX Lightning moniker. But bearing in mind the Daewoo brand was operating here as well and needed an image boost, it could have ended up as the Daewoo G2X and maybe been rebadged to a Chevrolet G2X.

All speculation and extrapolation, of course...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts