Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look what I was able to find, just in time for the recall….
Saturn Sky/ Opel GT/ Pontiac Solstice

Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal

Removal Procedure:
1 - Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2 - Disable the SIR system.
3 - Remove the steering column trim cover.
4 - Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

Important: There are two retainers on the ignition lock cylinder. Depress both retainers to remove the lock cylinder from the housing.

5 - Depress the first retainer through the lock housing access hole (2) with a small allen wrench or similar pick-type tool. The lock cylinder will back out slightly.
6 - Depress the second retainer through the lock housing access hole (1) the lock will back out slightly again.
7 - Pull the lock cylinder out enough to locate the second retainer to the lock housing access hole (2).
8 - Depress the retainer through the access hole (2) a second time. The ignition cylinder should release from the housing. If not, the ignition cylinder may need to be moved in and out several times to locate the retainer correctly in the hole.
9 - Remove the lock cylinder from the lock housing.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ignition and Start Switch Removal

Removal Procedure:
1 - Remove the steering column trim cover.
2 - Disconnect the ignition switch harness connector.
3 - Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

4 - Remove the ignition switch screws.
5 - Remove the ignition switch from the steering column.

Important Note: The ignition switch must be in the RUN position during removal in order to avoid damage to the ignition switch.

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Removal

Removal Procedure:
1 - Remove the steering wheel.
2 - Remove the steering wheel column trim cover.
3 - Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil.

4 - If applicable, disconnect the ignition lock cylinder solenoid harness connector.
5 - Disconnect the ignition switch harness connector.

6 - Using the following procedure, remove the ignition lock cylinder case shear bolt:
6.1. - Use a hammer and a chisel to bite into the shear bolt at a position offset from center.

6.2. - Tap the chisel to rotate the bolt in order to loosen it. Repeat as necessary until bolt is loose enough to remove.

Important Note: The lock cylinder must be in the RUN position for the lock cylinder case removal. If the lock cylinder is stuck in the OFF position with the lock bolt engaged then proceed to step 8 for cutting off the lock cylinder housing collar.

7 - With the ignition in the RUN position remove the ignition lock cylinder case housing from the steering column.

8 - The steering wheel lock bolt, if engaged, may prevent removal of the lock cylinder case. If necessary, cut the lock cylinder case housing collar at the location (1).

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Removal
6.2. - Tap the chisel to rotate the bolt in order to loosen it. Repeat as necessary until bolt is loose enough to remove.
You forgot the footnote:

If the bolt will not rotate when tapped with a chisel, bump it with your knee. This is known to be effective in some instances
:willy:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Scary, but for once... I agree with crotchety
He certainly has his moments of intellectual wisdom and when he does they are usually quite valuable.........:cheers:

Terry

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This could of been a nice sticky thread with information for future members on knowing how to remove the Ignition Lock Cylinder, Start Switch and the Ignition Lock Cylinder Case.
But....
MarlboroMike seems to be the main topic here.....
So.....
I guess I'll join your guys...... :lol:

·
Registered
747 Posts
This could of been a nice sticky thread with information for future members on knowing how to remove the Ignition Lock Cylinder, Start Switch and the Ignition Lock Cylinder Case.
Vic

You are correct as there was some very good info here, and sorry we ruined it. I, for one would not be bothered if Bogie removed some of the posts and made this a sticky.

Terry

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You do not need to take off the steering wheel or the ignition cylinder case to replace the lock cylinder and the ignition switch recall parts...
And where does it say that this thread has anything to do with the recall discussion?
Its just a thread with info on how to remove those parts... :cheers:

·
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vic

You are correct as there was some very good info here, and sorry we ruined it. I, for one would not be bothered if Bogie removed some of the posts and made this a sticky.

Terry
Hehehe! No problem Terry! :cheers:
I like having fun on here... I'm not one of those that eat, sleep or shix car stuff like some on here do. Its a good place to meet and bullShix with friends that have the same type of car in common, that's all....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.