Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went out with my friends.... and one of them is a saturn freak.... he has an ion sedan ... all pimped... you know with cai and other performance parts.... and nice wheels and all that....

we left a party ...... each of us with like 3 people in our cars we both have radar detectors ... so we are going around 110-120 on the highway... and his car couldn't catch me .... he was really pissed be cause he couldnt catch me...!

my car! is a Nissan sentra year 2000 GLX (stock)... not even the racing model....no even a dollar $ invested.......

he couldn't believed that I left him so far behind... so we raced again going back..... and the same thing happen ..

I'm not a car guy that puts extra things to make the car go faster....

so.... now my dilemma.... is.... are American cars slow from the dealer??
makes me not want to get my sky now.... :( ....

I mean come on.... I'm just imagining my self been passed by a nissan sentra (a gay car) on my sky...
that would be devastating ...:banghead:

I'm sorry ... but I had to post this frustration...
now I don't want to sell my nissan.... :(

I know that the sky wont have a fast acceleration... but come on .. at least the top speed should not be 115... like my friend ion :(

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Id say if one of the most important features of a car is its top speed then not only a Sky, but almost any car of that price range won't make you completely satisfied. It could be a limiter chip that restricts the top speed on the GM cars but even still I don't know how high you could push the Sky even without the limiter.

Id pose back the hypothetical of how often do you drive over 120? If this is a regular occurance, I would opt not only for the car with the higher top speed but also with more airbags.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1994SC2 said:
Id say if one of the most important features of a car is its top speed then not only a Sky, but almost any car of that price range won't make you completely satisfied. It could be a limiter chip that restricts the top speed on the GM cars but even still I don't know how high you could push the Sky even without the limiter.

Id pose back the hypothetical of how often do you drive over 120? If this is a regular occurance, I would opt not only for the car with the higher top speed but also with more airbags.
oh not offten at all.....
is just that got me thinking...

·
Registered
311 Posts
azote said:
Last night I went out with my friends.... and one of them is a saturn freak.... he has an ion sedan ... all pimped... you know with cai and other performance parts.... and nice wheels and all that....

we left a party ...... each of us with like 3 people in our cars we both have radar detectors ... so we are going around 110-120 on the highway... and his car couldn't catch me .... he was really pissed be cause he couldnt catch me...!

my car! is a Nissan sentra year 2000 GLX (stock)... not even the racing model....no even a dollar $ invested.......

he couldn't believed that I left him so far behind... so we raced again going back..... and the same thing happen ..

I'm not a car guy that puts extra things to make the car go faster....

so.... now my dilemma.... is.... are American cars slow from the dealer??
makes me not want to get my sky now.... :( ....

I mean come on.... I'm just imagining my self been passed by a nissan sentra (a gay car) on my sky...
that would be devastating ...:banghead:

I'm sorry ... but I had to post this frustration...
now I don't want to sell my nissan.... :(

I know that the sky wont have a fast acceleration... but come on .. at least the top speed should not be 115... like my friend ion :(

Please let us know when you are on the road at that speed so we can be sure to stay home.

Not to be a party pooper here but you guys endangered everyone on the road.

Please speed on the track, not on public roads.

Sorry about splashing on your party, just my humble opinion.:) :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey man (mglindo) I respect your opinion your are right...... (I will let you know... but like I said before is not often at all... maybe once a year...)

see ... I have no family ... and I think I'm in mature......
and I'm used to going fast... because since I was 12 I been driving with out a speed limit.. until I got to this country 4 years ago...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Doing 120 on public highways is the reason that wives with children lose their husbands, because they get caught in your wake or in your crash.

My SC2 will keep up with you, and I will (and have) report dangerous speeders to the highway patrol.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Personally I am buying the car because I fell in love with the looks. Im not into racing just cruising. Maybe if it is speed you want this is not the car for you. What ever you decide, be safe & good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ku4zs said:
and I will (and have) report dangerous speeders to the highway patrol.
hey I have done it too... (only once) ... is our right....

Like I said... I don't do this on a regular basis... in fact I'm the slow car relaxed with the windows down enjoying the air in the face... while everyone tries to pass over me....... ( I had a few fingers lately for been a little below the speed limit getting out of work..)

I know the sky is not a racing car but it gets me thinking what kind of car i'm getting and what non gm car I could get that this would not happend...

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Skys No Rocket Ship...but It's Fun!

Hey Bro...you didn't get the Sky to go fast...you got it because it looks cool...The stick will be fun to drive...it's different...and it's something no one has seen before and a car very few will have.

Yeah it looks fast, sleek and low to the ground, but you knew what was under the hood....A FOUR BANGER WITH 177HP in a 2,800 pound car.

Do the math...thats 0-60 in about 7 secs...No spinning the tires and no churpin the gears here. Plain and simple, it's enough GET UP AND GO to have fun but you wont find too many cars it will beat in a race. Top speed of the Sky will probable be around 130 and it will take plenty of time to reach it.

You want to make it sound faster? You want to make it go faster? You want to pound on some more torque? You want to churp the gears?

Get a performance Exhaust and a set of headers...get a cold air induction system...Get the limited slip and 3.73 gears... So if you paid 26 Grand for the Sky plan on putting another $1,500-2,000 into it.

You get these Mods and the Sky will be just about where you want it...What I mean is...You will be happy with the performace...This should push the Sky into the 215-220hp range...that will give you the sound and performace you would expect from a car that looks like the Sky...or you can just wait for the REDLINE.....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I'm getting the Sky for Fun....But I am still making these mods I mentioned above to mine.

My other Drive is my 66 455 OLDS Cutlass...I'm all set on HORSEPOWER...I'm looking for Style with the Sky.

Good Luck Bro,

RedSky:cool:

·
Registered
482 Posts
The topic of top speed was discused in another post awhile back. Kappaman said that the SKY was not computer limited but was drag limited to about 123 MPH. Sounds like more than enough top end for the street.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maverick said:
The topic of top speed was discused in another post awhile back. Kappaman said that the SKY was not computer limited but was drag limited to about 123 MPH. Sounds like more than enough top end for the street.
I agree... ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
true... top speed for the sky is 126mph.... from the website...

I think you guys are right....
I'll be happy with my baby.... and no need to worry....
I just saw the specs of my friends car ... compared to mine stock and there was reason for that to happen...
I think i'm cooled down now....
but some day I may put extra stuff to my car... so it sounds better..

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
azote said:
I agree... ;)
Azote speeding like that will make your license plate a reality. Skip.. cruising man ...:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
azote said:
true... top speed for the sky is 126mph.... from the website...

I think you guys are right....
I'll be happy with my baby.... and no need to worry....
I just saw the specs of my friends car ... compared to mine stock and there was reason for that to happen...
I think i'm cooled down now....
but some day I may put extra stuff to my car... so it sounds better..
Im glad ya cooled down, thought I was gonna have to give you a spanking.... oh yeee hawww :lol: :grouphug:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Top speed is in part a product of power, and an Ion only has something like 145 HP. No matter what the car, 145 is not going to push it up very high. Since you said he has done a lot of mods, he may have done some that were actually detrimental to the power of the car too. Some cars can have too little backpressure, bigger wheels and tires create more drag, rolling resistance, and inertia to spin them, more stuff on a car is more weight, etc etc.

There is a gentleman on Solsticeforum that recently got pulled over for doing 130. The police officer allowed him to take a picture of the radar gun too! (It's also believable, as there were a number of witnesses to this, as it occured during a NEO club cruise with 30+ Solstices on the road (and 2 Sky's).

But, if you really want a high top speed, you should be looking at cars that have more than 177 HP.

·
Registered
182 Posts
azote said:
we left a party ...... each of us with like 3 people in our cars we both have radar detectors ... so we are going around 110-120 on the highway...
:(
:confused: Dude, It certainly will not be long until you are one with God, and taking your friends with you !

Please slow down, bro !! :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I don't know but I chirped the tires going to 3rd, I find the performane very good, it is not the fastest car on the road, but it has enough power to have fun with! As I have now gone over 800 miles, I find it getting looser and quicker. Will not pass the century mark till after 1K miles, at which time I willhave changed the oil out to Mobil 1 full synthetic. It not the fastest but with the suspension upgrade and CAI it is a very nimble, tight ride!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
:agree: :agree:
mglindo said:
Please let us know when you are on the road at that speed so we can be sure to stay home.

Not to be a party pooper here but you guys endangered everyone on the road.

Please speed on the track, not on public roads.

Sorry about splashing on your party, just my humble opinion.:) :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts