Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea! I was asked to have our Sky in the Memorial Day Parade. They were looking for classic convertables to help with driving vets who couldn't make the parade walk and they wanted my Sky too! Strange to get a call at work asking if I wouldn't mind doing it- I even told them that it's only a 2 seater so I could only take 1 other person, but that didn't matter as 1 more vet in the parade is better than telling them they can't participate.
It's really cool, and an honor to help out. 1:00 on Monday in Monroe, MI:cheers:

added: If you are in the area, they are looking for more cars too, so just show up on South Monroe Street by the Kroger plaza before 1:00

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ours will be in the 4th of July parade in Southport NC (billed as the "official NC 4th of July celebration"). My wife will be driving a county commissioner. She'll be sitting up on the back between the humps. and waving to her constituents, but somehow I think people will be more interested in the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
parades

I end up doing parades from time to time and have had one nagging thought since I got the Sky. Will that trunk support the weight? Anyone have thoughts on that? I ususally carry a Miss Tennessee or some lovely like that and they have to sit up high and not in the seat. My only thought to date was that I do not want to dent the trunk lid nor do I want to put enough down pressure to break the glass on the rear window. I think I am being paranoid, especially since I am talking probably 120 pound beauty queens and not my big behind. Any mechanical types have an opinion on this?
jonm

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had the same concerns. The woman we're carrying (I hope she doesn't read this) probably only weighs around 140 - 150. If we make sure she sits (on a small pillow) with the weight centered on the silver band I don't see a problem. There seems to be a lot of structural support there and that is where the trunk latches are..... I too would welcome and warnings or advice. Have any Solstice owners done this and were there any problems ? ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I've had the same concerns. I know the metal on the "humps" is very thin and can be dented easily. Don't ask how I know this please.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the man who will be in the car with me will be sitting the the proper place and not on the back. Now for those of you who will be having a "beauty" sit between the humps...just where do you think her legs are going to be?? It might be kind of awkard driving.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What an Honor

Well, the day is just about done. I was able to drive my Sky in the parade today and had the honor of transporting "Tom" who is a WW2 and Korean War Vet. He served in the Navy in the Pacific and saw quite a bit of action- he was on a destroyer.
Before going over to the parade, I stopped by the gas station and picked up a cold bottle of water for "Tom" (I didn't know who I would be transporting before the start of the parade), and I popped in my "GI Jive" CD's. Well, Tom was so happy that I had the old music! He said it made him want to cry as the CD had so many of the songs he remembered dancing to during the war time, including the song he danced to with his future wife. He told me several interesting stories while we waited to pull out on the route, then I told him he was "UP" and to start waving to the people. I was a little overwelmed with the number of people who stood up clapping and cheering Tom as we drove by. At first he didn't want to make a fuss, but by 1/3 of the way, he was waving hello to everyone. So many signs saying "thank you" and "God Bless our soldiers". It was really cool.
Tom saw his wife (62 years of marriage) along the route and she was standing up waving like a mad woman! He smiled at me and said "she still wants me..." All in all, it was a real honor to have met Tom and to have drove him through town so he could see all the thankful people. The best was one soldier, who was missing a leg, was standing at the side of the road and saluting each of the guys in the parade as they went by.
Very cool day, much better than just sitting by the pool eating.

Thank you again vets.:)

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Phone books

get a couple of phone books and a pillow on the passenger seat - that should boost here up there a bit.

I drove my dad's 1959 Bonneville Convertible in a parade a few years back - have to be careful with that because the leather boot covering the retracted top is not designed to carry any weight at all.

had no problem during the parade but when the 5 or 6 folks in the passenger's entourage all wanted a ride back the extra weight on the car was a bit more than the suspension was meant to handle going down a drive way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts