Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, the love-affair is over. She sits in the garage, clean and covered until who knows when. I fell out of love after only a week of having her. Too much $$ for this car. (Yes, I paid a bunch over MSRP). Lesson learned--I should never buy a car it's first year out, test driving a couple, THEN thinking about it and sleeping on it for a while! Now I'm just trying to decide whether to sell her or hold on to her for a while and let her sit... Don't think this is collector -type car, but maybe if I keep low miles, I'll get a decent trade later. I've seen some on autotrader and ebay going for decent prices, but I'll never get out as much as I borrowed... I wish I could be as thrilled (and I was at first) as you other folks who have your Skys, but I'm just not. It's a HUGE bummer! I just knew this was the car for me, but I was wrong:nonod: It's only a car anyway!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
What about it do you not like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Cars are the most likely consumer product to carry a high level of purchase dissonce, in fact most car marketing that features a particular model is targeted at recent buyers of that model to keep them enthusiastic about their big purchase.

I'm sorry to hear you are having regrets, though it could be a part of this well-known cycle of consumer reaction to large tag purchases. In a few weeks you may come to feel that the car IS really what you wanted (and hopefully you won't have sold it if thats the case). If not, well, at least you can cross off a daily obsession and move on with life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
i'm sorta curious about what you're seeing 'going at decent prices'?

autotrader ones all seem to be priced ridiculous, and I don't see them selling at all, remember the fact that someone posts a high asking price doesn't mean it's actually SELLING for that price.
and ebay I have yet to see one actually SELL??? so can i get some linkage or something to what you're referring to? I'm sure they're reselling out there, but I haven't seen any actually SELL for more than like 28k or so at the absolute tops (except for totally loaded ones from dealer, etc).


oh and you can always just give the car to me ;) gladly take it off your hands :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
luvskyz said:
Well folks, the love-affair is over. She sits in the garage, clean and covered until who knows when. I fell out of love after only a week of having her. Too much $$ for this car. (Yes, I paid a bunch over MSRP). Lesson learned--I should never buy a car it's first year out, test driving a couple, THEN thinking about it and sleeping on it for a while! Now I'm just trying to decide whether to sell her or hold on to her for a while and let her sit... Don't think this is collector -type car, but maybe if I keep low miles, I'll get a decent trade later. I've seen some on autotrader and ebay going for decent prices, but I'll never get out as much as I borrowed... I wish I could be as thrilled (and I was at first) as you other folks who have your Skys, but I'm just not. It's a HUGE bummer! I just knew this was the car for me, but I was wrong:nonod: It's only a car anyway!

You can sell it to me!!!! That is basically exactly what I ordered anyway. (In all seriousness, if you really do want to sell it, I may be interested, no joke)
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I think we'd all like to know what you found wrong with the car and what your expectations are. Please let us know.:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
rick112 said:
I think we'd all like to know what you found wrong with the car and what your expectations are. Please let us know.:willy:
actually i can almost see the point he's coming from. I'm already starting to lose the thrill of the looks of the car :(. If you spontaneously buy the car, and love the looks. But then you start to bore of it, then you're pretty much SOL.
I can see where he's comin from, very nice looking car, but I myself am already losing the 'thrill' and i don even known the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Yeah, looks alone aren't going to keep a car going for you. Kind of like women - hmm. You really have to be excited about owning a roadster and all the non-visuals the Sky brings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Yeah, looks alone aren't going to keep a car going for you. Kind of like women - hmm. You really have to be excited about owning a roadster and all the non-visuals the Sky brings.
lol yup
looks suck you in, but if you want more substance, but that's also why i'm waiting for the SRL :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Freakazoid said:
lol yup
looks suck you in, but if you want more substance, but that's also why i'm waiting for the SRL :D
Nahhh, not me... I like a cheap date and a sure thing! Haha!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
In general -- It looks like it was bad match. It happens in marriages, houses cars -- even colors for living room walls.
There is nothing WRONG with it, and yeah monetarily it could hurt (this is why we preach not paying 1 penny more than you have to).
I wish you luck and why not sell (if that is what you want) to a SOW (Sky Owner in Waiting).:willy:
I am seeing a general trend of younger (say 45 and under) owners and SOWs losing interest. Am I right? It seems the elders (like me) are looking for a nice looking car - good handling and fun to drive. The younger (generalizing I know) keep emphasizing Speed - racing - sound - lighting -- Change this and that -- more of a grab and change rather than a buy and own frame of mind. It could be just too overwhelming and too high of expectations coming to the fore.
Good luck to all and I hope the car works for ya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's a combination of things... All the hype leading up to it and then when it's here, it's over... (getting there is half the fun, maybe?!?). I fell in love with her looks from the first picture I saw, then all the attention at the dealership when I got there. It was strange that there was NO negotiating AT ALL~ went straight to the finance office and papers were already drawn up and everything. They were smart about it, that's for sure. Didn't really give me time to think over it. I made the mistake of believing I didn't have time to think about it, I guess... if I didn't take it, it would be gone by the end of the day anyway. I shouldn't put it on the dealership or salesmen, I very well could've said "no thanks." I drove the car for about 5 minutes (the only other person to drive it besides the owner of the dealership) and went right in with the finance gal. I usually (as weird as it may sound) LOVE doing car deals, and I've always gotten my way~good deals. Not this time. This can be classified as an impulse purchase, I suppose. As far as what I don't like about the Sky is lack of power (surprising it's an issue, I'm a female!), lack of storage--ANYWHERE (I am use to SUVs and Minivans, however!), awkward blind spots with top up, and I feel like I really have to baby the car--like she's gonna fall apart if I'm not extremely careful! She's like the guest towels, not for everyday use, special occasions ONLY! I just don't feel like I'm getting my $$ worth. I've paid more for other vehicles in the past and I've never had this "buyer's remorse" or whatever it is. It also maybe an issue of this being the first "toy" car for us. I'm pretty practical and don't buy things we don't NEED. I don't know. Thanks for listening to me ramble on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Freakazoid said:
i'm sorta curious about what you're seeing 'going at decent prices'?

autotrader ones all seem to be priced ridiculous, and I don't see them selling at all, remember the fact that someone posts a high asking price doesn't mean it's actually SELLING for that price.
and ebay I have yet to see one actually SELL??? so can i get some linkage or something to what you're referring to? I'm sure they're reselling out there, but I haven't seen any actually SELL for more than like 28k or so at the absolute tops (except for totally loaded ones from dealer, etc).


oh and you can always just give the car to me ;) gladly take it off your hands :D

This is true... I guess they would only be decent to the sellers, if they got that much, huh!?! I don't know if they're selling or not--I guess I'm just being hopeful I won't have to take too much of a loss! If I give it to you can I count it as a charitable donation on next years taxes?!? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
luvskyz said:
This is true... I guess they would only be decent to the sellers, if they got that much, huh!?! I don't know if they're selling or not--I guess I'm just being hopeful I won't have to take too much of a loss! If I give it to you can I count it as a charitable donation on next years taxes?!? :lol:
well honestly my suggestion is you got about a month or 2 to sell, then they'll actuallys tart depreciating. You should be able to make almost exactly what you paid (including taxes, depending on how much exactly you overpaid :p). If you overpaid alot you might only make back what you paid minus taxes.


And sure, when you fill out the taxes just say you gave it to the "Joshua Lang Car foundation"

Don't worry lots of people have given their motorcycles for me for that cause (shhh that becomes tax-free for me ;) ), I'm betting the government probably thinks I'm a real foundation by now :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
luvskyz said:
I think it's a combination of things... All the hype leading up to it and then when it's here, it's over... (getting there is half the fun, maybe?!?). I fell in love with her looks from the first picture I saw, then all the attention at the dealership when I got there. It was strange that there was NO negotiating AT ALL~ went straight to the finance office and papers were already drawn up and everything. They were smart about it, that's for sure. Didn't really give me time to think over it. I made the mistake of believing I didn't have time to think about it, I guess... if I didn't take it, it would be gone by the end of the day anyway. I shouldn't put it on the dealership or salesmen, I very well could've said "no thanks." I drove the car for about 5 minutes (the only other person to drive it besides the owner of the dealership) and went right in with the finance gal. I usually (as weird as it may sound) LOVE doing car deals, and I've always gotten my way~good deals. Not this time. This can be classified as an impulse purchase, I suppose. As far as what I don't like about the Sky is lack of power (surprising it's an issue, I'm a female!), lack of storage--ANYWHERE (I am use to SUVs and Minivans, however!), awkward blind spots with top up, and I feel like I really have to baby the car--like she's gonna fall apart if I'm not extremely careful! She's like the guest towels, not for everyday use, special occasions ONLY! I just don't feel like I'm getting my $$ worth. I've paid more for other vehicles in the past and I've never had this "buyer's remorse" or whatever it is. It also maybe an issue of this being the first "toy" car for us. I'm pretty practical and don't buy things we don't NEED. I don't know. Thanks for listening to me ramble on!
I am sorry you are having buyers remorse over the car. I suppose there is little you can do about the power issue, unless you want to risk voiding the warranty by modifying it. There are turbocharger kits available (see Solsticeforum.com for more info) which will significantly boost the power.

The blind spots with the top up are unavoidable. Although they hurt visibility, blind spots to the rear can be affectively dealt with by using proper mirror angles. They also go away with the top down. Maybe in time you would get used to them. I have been driving a Fiero for many years now, which has big sail panels on the rear sides like those of the Sky soft top. The only way to check blind spots is to use mirrors. It was a little unnerving at first, but after I got used to it, it became second nature just to check the mirrors.

All of those are reasonable reasons to be ultimately disappointed. If you don’t like them and cannot warm up to them, you just cannot. The one thing you mentioned, however, that seemed out of sorts to me is when you said you felt the car was fragile and needed to be babied. The car should take plenty of hard driving (within reason) without problem. Is there a particular characteristic or reason you think it seems fragile? Is it the added noise of having a soft top? Or maybe the feel of the controls?

If you want to give the car a second chance, maybe the best thing for you to do would be to take it to a lonely, winding road and really let it out. Get on the gas good, have some spirited runs throught he curves, get a good feel for what the car can do when driven hard and not babied. If your being careful not to break anything, your probably not getting the most fun out of the car. Chances are you won’t do any damage whatsoever to it, and if something were to “break” it is under warranty and can be fixed.

As for selling it… there probably is no better time than right away to make back as much as your purchase price as possible. Once supply meets demand for the Sky, resale values will drop like any ordinary automobile. However, there is a lot of extra demand, and very few cars on the road. It is why your dealer was able to charge you a premium for it, and why others will also pay a premium. You could run an add in autotrader or on Ebay for what you really want out of it. Worst thing that happens is that nobody buys it, but you never know unless you ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
The younger (generalizing I know) keep emphasizing Speed - racing - sound - lighting -- Change this and that -- more of a grab and change rather than a buy and own frame of mind. It could be just too overwhelming and too high of expectations coming to the fore.
A lot of truth to that belief. It may run along the lines that the younger crowd (myself included) have only had one or two previous cars and because of limited resources couldnt upgrade to a nicer car so we spent small amount on customizations and tweaks that not only made the car better in our eyes but also more unique at a time in our lives when that is very important to us.

This trend is hardly new though, I watched the Civic and Integra mod revolution happen before my eyes and I know other cars such as the Scion have now stepped in. If you were to go back to your generation Rick I believe the MG/MGB were also low cost, highly modifiable roadsters that the under 25 crowd swarmed on.

I feel the Sky offers a lot in some regards and also limitations in others (some of the glaring being luggage space, everyday practicality and acceleration) -- the key is to make sure that those are not the priorities of a car you want to own. The Red Line will obviously help calm some of those people who want more speed off the line. But if you really aren't really looking for this KIND of car its not surprising that it would fall flat of your expectations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
In general -- It looks like it was bad match. It happens in marriages, houses cars -- even colors for living room walls.
There is nothing WRONG with it, and yeah monetarily it could hurt (this is why we preach not paying 1 penny more than you have to).
I wish you luck and why not sell (if that is what you want) to a SOW (Sky Owner in Waiting).:willy:
I am seeing a general trend of younger (say 45 and under) owners and SOWs losing interest. Am I right? It seems the elders (like me) are looking for a nice looking car - good handling and fun to drive. The younger (generalizing I know) keep emphasizing Speed - racing - sound - lighting -- Change this and that -- more of a grab and change rather than a buy and own frame of mind. It could be just too overwhelming and too high of expectations coming to the fore.
Good luck to all and I hope the car works for ya!
Im 26 and..
I LOVE the Car THE WAY IT IS!!!
More Speed = More Tickets.
I have style & will not Pimp my car out, not even a spoiler.

The Need for Speed is a Testosterone thing!!!:cool::cool:
Im considering the Sky Redline, mostly for the dual exhaust & the Six Speed,.. But I don't like the change they made to the grill.
Once I make millions off my business, I'll add the Redline,.. nay,.. the V8 to my Collection,.. no, not with spinners.

If I have 260hp, I will feel the need to use it. I just need a Hot Car to increase my Chick Ratio, not doing too bad now though.

Plus, at 160mph, they couldn't see me.

I'll be Cruisin' in it at the Beach & VIP Downtown.

E.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
btw on the note of depreciation for anyone that might be suffering from the same problem. The second a Sky is easily buyable from your local dealer, or one of your local dealers, across the nation, the Sky will be taking a MASSIVE depreciation hit, sell your cars before that happens if you're thinking about selling.

Not trying to scare people away or anything, but once Saturn starts offering incentives on the Sky, and there seems to be an inherent depreciation for domestic cars as a whole, plus the roadster thing. (S2000 drops about 7-8k in resale in 2 years).

The Sky is an excellent car, but don't forget about domestic depreciation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Slade said:
I LOVE the Car THE WAY IT IS!!!
More Speed = More Tickets.

The Need for Speed is a Testosterone thing!!!:cool::cool:
Im considering the Sky Redline, mostly for the dual exhaust & the Six Speed,.. But I don't like the change they made to the grill.
Once I make millions off my business, I'll add the Redline,.. nay,.. the V8 to my Collection,.. no, not with spinners.

If I have 260hp, I will feel the need to use it. I just need a Hot Car to increase my Chick Ratio, not doing too bad now though.

Plus, at 160mph, they couldn't see me.

I'll be Cruisin' in it at the Beach & VIP Downtown.

E.
:cheers:
well if this helps you, the SRL will not be having a 6 speed tranny...
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Top