Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in to my dealer yesterday to check on my Sky Redline order. My preliminary order was placed long ago, but after his allocations for the year on the regular Skys were filled. I am number one on his Redline list, but in line after all his regular Sky allocations currently on order. I advised him that I learned from this forum that starting at the end of July, Saturn was planning to produce 40% redlines. My question to him was do I have to wait for all his allocations of his standard Sky's to be shipped before my Redline went into production, or would GM filter in the the 40% redline production and therefore I would be able to get a redline before some of thiose folks on his waiting list. He did not know. Does anyone? I would think that GM makes more profit on the redlines and would put a preference on selling them. Any ideas? Perhaps our dealer members would know?

·
Registered
692 Posts
I talked to my dealership yesterday also asking if at a certain point the "line" making the cars would be retooled to make only Redlines. He seems to think that is not the case and the press from stopping production of already ordered baseline sky's would be very negative on the entire line.
He also said that whether the order is baseline or redline it still will be delivered in the order received and the Skys will continue to be baseline until the redlines are actually being made.
He doesn't expect to see any redlines until very late in the year or early next year due to the number of orders for baselines. Either way the question becomes the same as before, "Are you willing to wait?" I'm happy with the baseline Sky I ordered, I'll get it eventually and then upgrade if it isn't quite what I expected. I have no doubt I can trade up when and if the time comes.

Imaged 23/06/06
...and waiting...
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
wheel locks
Cold Air Intake

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
They build them both at the same time. So if you're #1 Sky RL you'll be their very first Sky RL built which could happen anywhere along the line of their normal Sky allocations being built.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
They are all made at athe same time -- heck -- your RedLine could be build between a base Sky or even a Solstice!:D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Not having ever been to a Saturn Plant, but spending half a day at the corvette plant in Bowling Greens, KY. I can say that they build those car as the orders come on line. Meaning that they will have a yellow convertible, black Z06, Europe blue coupe all in the same assembly line one after the other. Parts are pulled for the cars before they come through the line and assembled as stated on the paper work. It does take 3 days for the cars to complete the build from empty chassis at the start to rolling off the die and wheels hitting the pavement. I would guess since they are both GM plants that is how the Sky's are being built. Does any one know how long it does take for the Sky's to be built?

TulsaSky

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
TulsaSky said:
Not having ever been to a Saturn Plant, but spending half a day at the corvette plant in Bowling Greens, KY. I can say that they build those car as the orders come on line. Meaning that they will have a yellow convertible, black Z06, Europe blue coupe all in the same assembly line one after the other. Parts are pulled for the cars before they come through the line and assembled as stated on the paper work. It does take 3 days for the cars to complete the build from empty chassis at the start to rolling off the die and wheels hitting the pavement. I would guess since they are both GM plants that is how the Sky's are being built. Does any one know how long it does take for the Sky's to be built?

TulsaSky
The Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky RL, Opel GT, and Daewoo G2X will all be built on this same assembly line intermingled as they go down the lines. Last time I heard I think it takes 8 hours to build a base Solstice.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
brentil said:
The Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky RL, Opel GT, and Daewoo G2X will all be built on this same assembly line intermingled as they go down the lines. Last time I heard I think it takes 8 hours to build a base Solstice.
That may be 8 line hours which might be as much as 24 or so hours (man hours) as in most stations more than one person is working the car at the same time.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would dare to say more then 24 man hours for each car, I know the Corvettes had at least 2 people at each station and at least one supervisor at every other station. The line only stops for two breaks and lunch each day in the Bowling Greens Plant. Great that we are building cars here and shipping them overseas to Europe, I know the corvettes that are made for Europe have goofy turn lights and different signal controls on those cars. It’s about time we sold some American goods back across the pond! I wonder just how much of a difference there is from Daewoo G2X and Opal GT from the USA States cars? Since its hard to find any information on the Opal GT it must be built on the same frame as the other Sky/Solstice/Daewoo?
Unless its like the Bowling Green Plant they also built the Cadillac convertible in a whole different line on the other side of the plant. The only part the two cars share is the same gas tanks. Hmmm one can only wonder…

TulsaSky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts