Saturn Sky Forum banner

Automatic or Manual?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am selling my original Sky so I can get the redline. My base Sky has an automatic, which I really do like. I have very little experience driving a manual car, but I just know that "oh, you should have got a manual" just will NOT stop. I know manuals are better for performance, gas mileage, and such. I am confident that I can learn to drive a manual in just a week. But, I will also be driving this car in the city, stop-n-go and so forth. What do you guys think?

I really do like the automatic that the base Sky has. But, should I go manual? I am absolutely :banghead: :banghead: trying to decide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Voted Manual, need to explain.

I have the same reasons as other people for sayingt hat you should get a manual, but I would not recommend them for everyone. My commute is 20-25 minutes through back roads. I don't have to deal with stop and go traffic. I like the added control that a manual gives me.

You might want an automatic if:
1) Your left leg is warped or weak or missing
2) You like to clutch the steering wheel with both hands
3) You like paying extra for the car AND the gas
4) You would rather be driven than drive
5) The only legitimate reason: You're in stop and go traffic for considerable time periods every day

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you're planning on autocrossing the car or like to really feel 'in control' of the car like you do with a manual transmission then the manual is the only way to go.

If you are just buying a Sky with more pep and don't care about racing then there's no sense in buying a manual since it'll just be more work. However, be prepared for most people who you show the car to to say "Oh it's an auto? Why didn't you get a manual?"

·
Registered
637 Posts
maintenance on an automatic transmission will generally run you more money also, that is if something goes wrong.

If you're going to be stuck in traffic most of the time, i just don't understand buying this car...I'd get a luxury car instead. Fortunately, i don't have to deal with traffic on a daily basis...I get caught in it maybe once a month.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I would go with an automatic because that is what you are used to. If anybody asks tell them you liked the auto better . It still gives you the ability to shift iffen you want, right? Or just leaving it in drive and just cruising down the road. Now manual gives you more kick in the pants action I think, and I have been driving a manual since knee-high to a catapiller. I got nice legs from shifting so much. My left leg looks like POPEYE's forearms. My right leg is like OLIVE's legs. So I know I tant given you no firm answer but you will know what is best for you....Skip....:lol: :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Just my opinion, I always select a manual tranny instead of an automatic if the manual is available. (I learned on a manual and never really felt a need to change)

For you, go with your gut if you have always been happy with an auto go ahead and get the automatic, from what I have read here and other sites the performance edge is only a couple seconds on the zero to sixty, and the milage is only slightly better with the manual.

Also who is better to select between the auto and manual, you since you are actually paying for the car or some person who just happens to look at the car and make a comment about manual vs automatic

Again just my opinion but I think manuals are more enjoyable when you are just driving for fun

Of couse it is also very enjoyable to place your arm around the shoulders of your special lady as you drive too. What ever you choose there will be a price to be paid for the choice - Good Luck Deciding

·
Registered
173 Posts
manual, manual, manual....that's what roadsters are made for..:thumbs:
Get a (automatic) "clunker" to drive in everyday traffic to and from work....Why not have the best of both worlds?

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Darzsky I think you have come up with the perfect solution just buy two Redlines make one an automatic and one a manual.

I think everyone knows the old saying
"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't":jester:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm going with a manual, and I don't even know how to drive one yet! :driving:

·
First 2000 Senior Member
635 Posts
Get the automatic if you want to drive a slick looking subcompact convertible, get the manual if you want to drive a sports car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you should go with the Auto, I think you will get tired of shifting after a while !!!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Get what you want. Whoever you show the car to will be more than welcomme to buy a Redline with their choice of transmission.

I have and love a manual, but it sure would be nice to have a remote start to warm and cool the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
RustyKnight....I think the nuts have it!:crazy: Geez 2 R/L, 1 automatic and 1 manual... what a great solution.:jester:

·
Registered
337 Posts
ku4zs said:
Ok, so I am selling my original Sky so I can get the redline. My base Sky has an automatic, which I really do like. I have very little experience driving a manual car, but I just know that "oh, you should have got a manual" just will NOT stop. I know manuals are better for performance, gas mileage, and such. I am confident that I can learn to drive a manual in just a week. But, I will also be driving this car in the city, stop-n-go and so forth. What do you guys think?

I really do like the automatic that the base Sky has. But, should I go manual? I am absolutely :banghead: :banghead: trying to decide.

First off...Me and my Girl always stick with the stick! :cheers:
We both love to be in control...:lol:

You love the AUTO? No one could...If you learned how to drive the stick you would understand.

Most of the time Manuals are better performers...For up and up drag racing...this is false...Most drag or straight way race cars are AUTOS....

As for round track and coarse tracks...Yes Manuals are best at performing because you have more control of downshifting into turns etc.

Manuals get better gas milage.

You will need a month to feel comfortable behind the wheel of a manual...if you don't beleive me...watch how you avoid those step hills in traffic for a while after you stall at one. Make sure you don't roll into that car behind you!

If you are driving this car into the city all the time in STOP N GO TRAFFIC why are you getting a Redline...AT ALL!

This is a TWO SEAT 260hp ROADSTER PEOPLE! WAKE UP!

If you want a city driver...get a crap box!

Leave the Redline for weekend open driving.

Alohas :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
And with the sky's fly manual tranny its a breeze to shift. Take the manual!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
On the first PCH run I drove cerebus's Sky which was a manual. When the drive opened up the Manual certainly was a lot of fun to drive. When it slowed down to stop 'n go I appreciated owning an Automatic.

For myself, the advantage of getting the manual would be a psychological one. "It would make me feel more in control" and it also would feel more like a "sports car". The reality is I do not plan on doing any driving with my car that would require the control the manual gives me. I also think I do not have the expertise to take advantage of a manual either.

So for me getting a manual would be for the "fun of having one". Which is not a bad reason to get one.

Having said that I am getting an automatic for several reasons, one being stop n go traffic, the other my wife cannot physically drive a stick and I will not buy a car that she cannot drive.

This is really your choice, buy the car you want to have.

Remember, this is going to be your car and you are the one that is going to be driving it day in and day out.

Don't get caught up in the :BS: about the only right choice is getting a manual. Some people are unable to distinguish the difference between what is clearly a personal preference and a factual distinction.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks Richmcc For Saying It The Way I See It. I Want My Wife To Have Just As Much Fun Driving Our Sky As I Am Having. She Is 66 Years Old And Can't Drive A Stick. I Would Hate To See Her Having To Sell The Car If Somthing Happend To Me. ( I Know, Somthing Happens To Me And She Can Find A Younger Man Ha! Ha! Ha! ) Thanks For The Posts Everyone. And Enjoy Your Cars. Auto For Us. But Still Waiting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Auto.

For me it was a non-negotiable condition of purchase... Wife can't drive a stick... "If I can't drive it, You can't buy it" :D

Marrage, it's all about compromise. :jester:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you are getting auto then please get it. If there is no reason to get auto beyond you've never driven it or you are afraid to learn; then try it. Learn it. The difference (and we can argue - expense and speed and performance till we are blue in the face) is simple. You drive Manual. You operate the car. With automatic you are just a passenger - except you steer. To feel the fun of operating a sports car - you go Manual.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts