Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the impact bar from a redline? According to the service manual there are 12 bolts holding it in place. I removed all 12 and that sucker still will not budge, so there must be a few hidden bolts/nuts that can't be seen from the front/top/bottom and that aren't noted in the service manual.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Has anyone removed the impact bar from a redline? According to the service manual there are 12 bolts holding it in place. I removed all 12 and that sucker still will not budge, so there must be a few hidden bolts/nuts that can't be seen from the front/top/bottom and that aren't noted in the service manual.
Only thing I can see is if you didn't do all the preliminary procedures first...I bet if you skipped those steps, you may find a couple bolts there that are stopping you from removing it. GM loves to do stuff like this. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing I can see is if you didn't do all the preliminary procedures first...I bet if you skipped those steps, you may find a couple bolts there that are stopping you from removing it. GM loves to do stuff like this. LOL
Doh, you're right, I forgot to remove the fascia :grin: ... seriously, I went by the book, but I could have skipped something, but the 3 volume manual is pretty clear. Some on the bottom would only come out by lowering the IC.

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Doh, you're right, I forgot to remove the fascia :grin: ... seriously, I went by the book, but I could have skipped something, but the 3 volume manual is pretty clear. Some on the bottom would only come out by lowering the IC.
Well, specifically I was thinking #4 but...LOL I would love to see you remove this without removing the fascia. LOL

But yea, if you went through all that...maybe it's just stuck on really good...my solution? Give it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and if that doesn't budge it, pull out the five pound sledge. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, specifically I was thinking #4 but...LOL I would love to see you remove this without removing the fascia. LOL

But yea, if you went through all that...maybe it's just stuck on really good...my solution? Give it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet and if that doesn't budge it, pull out the five pound sledge. LOL
Almost had me on that one, Robo. I needed to get back home and look it up in the manual. So number 4 refers to the "impact bar bracket". Page 3-29 (in the picture above) says to go to 3-30 and of course 3-30 tells you to go to 3-32. Long story short, the impact bar bracket is the bracket just in back of the plastic piece just behind the top of the fascia, right in back of the superman symbol. It's screwed into the top of the impact bar.

That little baby came off right after the fascia and the plastic bracket with it was destroyed (below).

I took a mallet and whacked the crap out of the impact bar and it didn't budge. I have a new impact bar on order, due in a week (seems parts are being delayed due to some strike), so once I have it, I can inspect every bolt hole in the thing and hopefully figure out what's holding it up.

In the meantime, I have 2 old wheel well liners to remove and a new set to install.

·
Registered
17,460 Posts
Almost had me on that one, Robo. I needed to get back home and look it up in the manual. So number 4 refers to the "impact bar bracket". Page 3-29 (in the picture above) says to go to 3-30 and of course 3-30 tells you to go to 3-32. Long story short, the impact bar bracket is the bracket just in back of the plastic piece just behind the top of the fascia, right in back of the superman symbol. It's screwed into the top of the impact bar.

That little baby came off right after the fascia and the plastic bracket with it was destroyed (below).

I took a mallet and whacked the crap out of the impact bar and it didn't budge. I have a new impact bar on order, due in a week (seems parts are being delayed due to some strike), so once I have it, I can inspect every bolt hole in the thing and hopefully figure out what's holding it up.

In the meantime, I have 2 old wheel well liners to remove and a new set to install.
The Union picked GM to go on strike

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts

So THAT'S what that thing is called. LOL I have a new one of those and the plastic piece that goes with it waiting to go on the car the next time I pull the bumper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts