Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The world lost a wonderful person yesterday. He was given a second chance at life and did his best to make the most of it every day. He knew his time on Earth was limited and dedicated himself to trying to build something to leave behind. It was very common for people to call him looking for accessories for their cars and find themselves with a new friend an hour later. While we never met in person, I'm thankful for the impact he had on my life, and that was made possible by an organ donor nine and a half years ago. Without that person, their family, and of course Wilbur the pig (fka Sweetie Pie), he would never have had the chance to touch many lives.

The biggest hurdle facing organ transplantation today is education. A lot of people think that anyone can donate organs and don't really think about it, but that is not the case. Organs can only be harvested from brain dead donors. It's uncomfortable to plan for this because doing so forces you to consider your own mortality, but taking time to consider it now can save lives later. Remember that merely deciding you'd like to donate your organs should you end up able to do so is not enough. Your loved ones need to know so that they can consent to it. Talk to them. Include it in your living will. Knowing your wishes will take that uncomfortable decision out of their hands, may prevent a dispute among your grieving family, and will ensure that your last opportunity to do something good for your fellow man is not wasted.

For more information about organ donation, please visit the Southwest Transplant Alliance at www.organ.org.

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK flip over your driver's license: Here in MICHIGAN it should say that you are or (if not checked) are not an organ donor. Mine is checked, and witnessed. Come on, folks, we all need to recognize that after our life is over, our bodies are not "us," they are just a compilation of spare parts for others. Pass on the gift.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
This is something we typically don't think about, or don't want to think about. However, should the unthinkable ever happen, there are waiting lists of people in dire need who would be not able to receive your second chance if you haven't planned ahead to make your wishes known.

Making this thread a sticky by request.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Seriously iffen anybody finds an A- lung out there and is a nonsmoker I would love to have it..Skip...:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seriously iffen anybody finds an A- lung out there and is a nonsmoker I would love to have it..Skip...:) :) :) :)

Man...you had me LOL. I was reading all serious and then you post...I need to pay attention when coming to your post.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Man...you had me LOL. I was reading all serious and then you post...I need to pay attention when coming to your post.
Hell, I am serious as having a dang heart attack. I need an A- lung because I have Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. I have had this terminal disease for four years now and the law of averages says I have three more to go... So duh I am serious as dying...Skip...:) :) :) Look at my signature, I use O2 24/7 and sometimes it is a slight hassle to carry 5 big tanks and 6 small tanks when I go on vacation...

·
Registered
105 Posts
The sad fact is this need is more common than we all realize. My wife, while looking quite healthy to a person on the street, is rapidly approaching the need for a heart and lung transplant. I hope when that day arrives, someone has made that gift available. How many others on this list, or where you work, or where you buy coffee everyday are also in need? How many of us have made our wishes known to our family members should the unthinkable happen to us?

My wife was born with a heart malformation, and her current cardiac and pulmonary problems are a result of that, not smoking, drinking or otherwise abusing her body.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Alabama also has it on the drivers license. And its in my living will. If I have anything thats still working, anyone can have it.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Alabama also has it on the drivers license. And its in my living will. If I have anything thats still working, anyone can have it.
I dun told my daughter that when I pass if the doctor actually wants my anything they can have it. But cornsiderin that I am diabetic, stent in heart, Pulmonary Fibrosis and overweight thar tant much left to take out that be good fir transplant....Skip...here take my Sky ...I still owe money on it..Hehehehe:) :) :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
SkyBaby going in RIGHT direction now.

Hi,
Since I have been trying to do some good and seems like I hit a dead end or brick wall...:banghead: with my efforts and there are some conflicts of some sort with the Breast Cancer Awareness program, they just say, you can raise funds but, we cant help you out since we are working with another automobile company.. to be honest.. WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER WHERE THE HELP COMES FROM? I really hate politics sometimes. anyway,

I know GOD works in mysterious ways and the answer was right in front of me the entire time.

My Tour will be dedicated and raise funds for... ROBERT PENNINGTON FOUNDATION FOR ORGAN TRANSPLANTS. Speaking with his aunt through email and on the phone, it came to both of us at the same time. I would be honored to make my Tour for this cause. I know here in Illinois it is on the back of the lic. and I think my Florida lic has it too. or there is a form to fill out. If I have anything worth passing on... they can have it. SkyBaby

I think this is a PERFECT idea. any thoughts?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Organ Donation Cards

I have ALOT of Organ Donation Cards for you to fill out and carry with you in your wallet or purse, put in your important paper files, etc. Let me know if anyone wants a few, I can mail some out and I will also bring some with me to all my events. Thanks. SkyBaby

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am an organ donor, such as it is. Most of my organs are not fit for donation. Fatty liver, slightly hypertrophic heart, LASIKed corneas, lungs damaged by years of reflux until I had the surgery to correct that. None of this is really incapacitating, just makes them unfit for transplant. I suppose they could use my kidneys; they seem okay still.

However, I am also a body donor for plastination: http://www.bodyworlds.com. So even if they can't use my organs to save a life, I can still be useful after I go, to educate medical students or laypeople for a long time. Finally I can contribute to science.

·
Registered
150 Posts
However, I am also a body donor for plastination: http://www.bodyworlds.com.
I saw BodyWorlds3 at Science World in Vancouver this past January. Some says it's grotesque but I thought it was very educational.

My driver's license just came up for renewal and it came with an organ donation registration form. Previously, people would simply put a sticker on their license but that just didn't cut it (pardon the pun) legally. It's going in the mail right now. :thumbs:

http://www.transplant.bc.ca

·
Registered
363 Posts
Organ donation is extremely important. My father-in-law just received a liver last October after being on a transplant list for 12 years. Also, when my brother was murdered 5 years ago all of his organs were which saved numerous lives. Please everyone, it only takes 5 minutes and a conversation with your family to become an organ donor.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What organ donation could really use is some education of the masses. I have the organ donor sticker on my driver's license , and I can't count the number of times that someone has said something to the effects of 'if the EMT/hospital/doctors/etc see that they will just let you die to get your organs. You should take that off." I think if more people realised that it doesn't affect your medical care, then perhaps people more inclined to donate. So many wasted opportunities to help another human being because of misinformation and fear...

Personally, the thought of being able to ease someone else's suffering or keep someone alive once I'm gone is actually pretty cool. It's not like I need the parts anymore, anyway. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
What organ donation could really use is some education of the masses. I have the organ donor sticker on my driver's license , and I can't count the number of times that someone has said something to the effects of 'if the EMT/hospital/doctors/etc see that they will just let you die to get your organs. You should take that off." I think if more people realised that it doesn't affect your medical care, then perhaps people more inclined to donate. So many wasted opportunities to help another human being because of misinformation and fear...

Personally, the thought of being able to ease someone else's suffering or keep someone alive once I'm gone is actually pretty cool. It's not like I need the parts anymore, anyway. :)
I agree. Also, if you don't let your family know that this is your true wish your organs may not get donated as they have the final say so on this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't neglect what you can do while you're alive.

Whenever I'm eligible, I donate whole blood & platelets. I even got a call a while back for my white blood cells. They gave me steroids for that one. It isn't tough to do; you pretty much just bleed into a bag. Marrow donation is another important one everyone should register for.

Give all you can; you'll just make more.

Bil

·
Registered
0 Posts
Organ donation

I donated a kidney to my sister 3 years ago. We were prefect match. It took so little from me to give her a chance at life. She is doing fine. Everyone should give consideration to donating an organ. You are really screened as a living donor. If anything is wrong with your health it is hard to be able to donate.

·
Vendor
1,980 Posts
Wow

I'm shocked. I don't know how I missed this thread. I tell you what, this forum sure does have some kind hearted members. Thank you soooooooo much reedred for posting this. It's people like you who God used to give my little brother 10 more years to live when he had a transplant in 1997. For that I am eternally greatful.

~ Stephen

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son just signed his organ donor card

My son turned 16 at the end of October. He got his license yesterday. he was filling out the form and it got to the organ donor box. He didn't even hesitate, he checked it and looked at me and told me his wish was to donate everything if something was to happen (God forbid). I was amazed and proud that this young man realized the importance of signing his donor card. If he can do it, we all should. My hubby knows that if anything happens to me, I want to donate it all (at least what anyone would take). It is so cool to belong to a group that thinks so deeply and discusses the important stuff as well as the fun stuff. I am honored to be part of this group (but will feel more like a member when I have my very own Sky!)
CD
www.cdsartisticendearvors.blogspot.com:cool:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts