Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
THAT IS AWESOME Dawn..... WOW.... I wish more kids had their thinking caps on... unfortunately it takes more than just signing that... MAKE SURE YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS KNOW YOUR WISHES............ They do ask family.. EVEN when you have the box checked..... SkyBaby

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My son turned 16 at the end of October. He got his license yesterday. he was filling out the form and it got to the organ donor box. He didn't even hesitate, he checked it and looked at me and told me his wish was to donate everything if something was to happen (God forbid). I was amazed and proud that this young man realized the importance of signing his donor card. If he can do it, we all should. My hubby knows that if anything happens to me, I want to donate it all (at least what anyone would take). It is so cool to belong to a group that thinks so deeply and discusses the important stuff as well as the fun stuff. I am honored to be part of this group (but will feel more like a member when I have my very own Sky!)
CD
www.cdsartisticendearvors.blogspot.com:cool:
That's great, CD! As for what anyone would take, you'd be surprised. I made a joke to that effect when I was speaking with the lady frm the SWTA, and she went into detail about how much of my thoroughly abused and worn out body would be able to be harvested. Some people think they don't have anything left that would be of use to anyone, but a lot of times they're wrong.

Anyway, congratulations on raising such a resposible and thoughtful son!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I thought that all my good parts would somehow end up in the Smithsonian. :lol:

Seriously though I never really gave organ donation a thought until I was in a serious accident and in the intensive care unit. Luckily I survived, but on death's door I realized that I had never discussed donation or resuscitation or any of those things that healthy people don't like to think about, with my son or other relatives.

Life is very precious and we all need to appreciate what a gift life is, and in the event that the unthinkable happens what could be better than to pass this gift on.

It makes me feel great to know that there are 16 year olds that already know what I didn't learn until it was almost too late.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I don't have an actual organ donor card but my license says I am. Not only that but I have made sure my entire family knows that if anything ever happens to me I am a donor.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
I don't have an actual organ donor card but my license says I am. Not only that but I have made sure my entire family knows that if anything ever happens to me I am a donor.

You really need a card.... I have LOTS of extras that I hand out.... let me know if anyone needs one... let me know. SkyBaby..

I know alot of folks think that just having it on your lic is enough... just depends on the emergency personel working on you at the time of need. It is not only important to have it on your lic , but, have a card in your wallet, have one at home and be sure your family who may be handling your care knows your wishes. There was a case here by Rockford recently , the gentleman had the box marked on his lic and had a card, but, the card was at home and the "family" member who was with him said NO. at that point, when you cant speak for yourself it is up to that "family/other" member to speak for you. Ok.... sorry... enough... SkyBaby

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I firmly believe in transplants and organ donations. My wife had a kidney transplanted in 91 and is still going strong today. It was near perfect match in all catgories and really did save her life. (She would not have made another year without the transplant.

I tell everyone who will listen to sign a donor card, make the notation on your drivers licence and tell all your family and friends that you want to donate organs when the time comes. Putting it in a will or trust document is usually too late to do any good.

Skip, good things come to good people. Keep the faith and it will work out for you.

Sky Pilot 51
Classic 07 2.4 Forrest Green (Green Envy)
Auto (For She Who Must Be Obeyed)
Tan Top with Tan Leather Interior
Multi-Disk w/MP3
Stock and plan to keep her that way.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
NY Corrections Officer Dies

I'm not sure how many of you have heard about the following story...

Andrew Reister, Anthony Oddone, correction officer, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Publick House, Southampton -- Newsday.com

In summary, a local corrections officer was strangled and left brain dead while working a side job as a bouncer. I wanted to make everyone aware of the positive that will come out of this. He was an organ donor and will be saving many lives.

I got the following email from a friend today who worked with him...

Andy is clinically dead. I was there on Friday and Saturday. His family is donating his organs so they're waiting for the donor team to assemble which should be on Monday or Tuesday. They may have to work in conjunction with the medical examiners office to officially determine the cause of death. The whole thing is a mess and everyone at work is really feeling it. I feel for his kids who know he's in the hospital, but don't know he's dead. The kids will not see him until the wake. Worst part about this (besides him dying of course) is he was taking his kids to Disney in 2 weeks.

I guess we never really know when it is our time so let's all make sure we sign our cards and carry them with us.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
For years I have been signed up on the National Bone Marrow Donor Program (National Marrow Donor Program) ...never got a call... also with the Central New York Eye & Tissue Bank (: : Central New York Eye and Tissue Bank - CNYETB : :) all organs, tissues, and eyes for both transplatation and research. Both of my 'Health Care Proxies' are well informed.

But, ... well I obviously support these programs ... however I do have concerns of .. over zealous organ support teams that are more interested in getting my organs than saving my life.
A good friend of mine had a 'Do Not Recessate' order on file. He had diabetes and with low sugar he pasted out in his home. All he needed to recovery was some sugary water but the hospital could NOT legally permit injecting a simple feeding tube into him. He did past away. His situation was 'DNR' and not organ donor ... and I understand the need for donors and support obviously these type of sign-up's. But besure your proxies are strong and cannot be pressured by zealous organ support teams that scare and pressure (my health care friends tell me of witnessed experiences). :angel::jm2c::angel:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm the guy who emailed [SkyHighNY] about the story of my friend and co-worker. Andy was a special friend. Someone who'd make you smile no matter the circumstance or situation. I was in shock to learn he'd be fallen by someone considerably smaller in size than him. He had the disadvantage however as he was attacked from a table which was higher than him. To see him lying in a hospital bed unresponsive was torturing. All i could think of was his children. His co-workers and I will look after the family because that's what we do. Hopefully someone that gets one of his organs will go on to find a cure for cancer or some **** like that. At least then it would've been worth while.

My advice?.....enjoy your life now because it could be over tomorrow.

......i need a drink.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
I hav seen this thread pop up once in a while and I'm not sure if i'm a donor or not.....:confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I hav seen this thread pop up once in a while and I'm not sure if i'm a donor or not.....:confused:
If you're not sure, you aren't. If you'd want to do one last good thing for others should you ever unfortunately be able, then you need to be sure and you need to take action. You should get a card and your loved ones need to know your wishes. It's uncomfotable to consider and a bit weird to discuss, but they need to know how you feel.

A lot of organs aren't transplanted because people's loved ones who are the ones making the decision aren't sure what to do. You can take that out of their hands and make it easier for them by letting them know what you want before hand. Look into it- a good place to start is Southwest Transplant Alliance - and figure out what you would want. If it's what I'd hope everyone would do, you need to take action. Happy reading! :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
If you're not sure, you aren't. If you'd want to do one last good thing for others should you ever unfortunately be able, then you need to be sure and you need to take action. You should get a card and your loved ones need to know your wishes. It's uncomfotable to consider and a bit weird to discuss, but they need to know how you feel.

A lot of organs aren't transplanted because people's loved ones who are the ones making the decision aren't sure what to do. You can take that out of their hands and make it easier for them by letting them know what you want before hand. Look into it- a good place to start is Southwest Transplant Alliance - and figure out what you would want. If it's what I'd hope everyone would do, you need to take action. Happy reading! :thumbs:
Well, i looked at my Drivers License and i didn't see anthing...but, i would like to discuss it with u at a meet if that is ok with you.???

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Bumping this thread with a plea for those willing to become a bone marrow donor. The young daughter of an employee where I work has been battling Lymphoma and last week had a major setback. It now appears she has Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) and may require a Bone Marrow Transplant. You can read about Mya’s courageous battle here: CaringBridge / myaterry / Welcome

A fellow employee has set up an easy and free way for you to register to become a Bone Marrow Donor. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has graciously set up a program where you can register online to get a free at home swab kit. The kit consists of a simple cotton swab of the mouth. This account has been set up specifically for Mya; however, if you are found to be a match in the future for someone else, they will contact you.

I have just registered in the hopes that I may help this sweet little girl, or possibly someone else in the future.

If you have been considering registering to be a bone marrow donor and just haven't got around to it, or weren't able to afford the fee, now is the time. Please register today and take advantage of the opportunity to possibly save a life, while saving the cost of the normal processing fee.

Please register today! It can take up to six weeks for the testing to be completed.

Finally, please pass this on to ANYONE you think might be interested in signing up. The below code is valid through September 30th. Please help if you can!

To Register Online:

Go to Join Now - online registration for Be The Match Marrow Registry

1. After you click the link above, you will see “Join Now”

2. Scroll down and check the boxes in Step 1 (ignore any reference to cost; you do not pay anything when you use your code)

3. In order to continue the registration process, you must agree to the terms of use and sign the consent through electronic signature

4. Enter your information

5. Enter Code: Mya829 (Case sensitive: If you run into any issues with the code not working, please let Scott Greene know ([email protected]).

6. Once the form is complete, the system will automatically send a swab kit to your residence, with a self-addressed, returned envelope.

7. Urgent: As soon as you receive the swab kit in the mail, immediately swab and mail off the envelope so your results will be in the National Marrow Donor Registry as soon as possible. It can take up to 6 weeks to tissue type, so the earlier you send in your kit, the better.

Thank you for your participation and commitment.

Questions?

Call or email us and we will be happy to assist you:

National Institutes of Health Marrow Donor Program

Call between 9am – 5 pm to speak to someone at

Email anytime:

[email protected] or

[email protected]

NIH absorbs the $52 typing fee, however donations are accepted.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Last year I was diagnosed with Leukemia and have been in remission since December 2008. I was told I cannot give blood or donate organs so I took my organ donor statement off my drivers license. Does anyone know if I can still donate anything ?. I have been donating my time by talking with other Leukemia patients and have the link below to bring awareness to the L&L Society :)

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

·
Registered
564 Posts
Last year I was diagnosed with Leukemia and have been in remission since December 2008. I was told I cannot give blood or donate organs so I took my organ donor statement off my drivers license. Does anyone know if I can still donate anything ?. I have been donating my time by talking with other Leukemia patients and have the link below to bring awareness to the L&L Society :)

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Congrat's to you on your remission and your brave battle with Leukemia...we lost our 17 year old nephew to osteocarcoma...he had so much life to live...you may want to see if you would be able to donate skin for burn victims or possibly your cornea's??? I am an organ donor and proud to say so.
Stay well.:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Congrat's to you on your remission and your brave battle with Leukemia...we lost our 17 year old nephew to osteocarcoma...he had so much life to live...you may want to see if you would be able to donate skin for burn victims or possibly your cornea's??? I am an organ donor and proud to say so.
Stay well.:)
Thank you for the kind words. Sorry to hear about your nephew. I have my monthly checkup on 9/3/09. I will ask my doctor what he thinks I may be able to donate.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts