Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Wow....this is really touching to see so many people on here and the ongoing demand and need for life, after Roberts death in April of 2007, much much changed in my life and my family's life. Without hesitation I walked away from my career, and a long held dream of a profession to cross over and enter into Roberts dream and vision. While at times it is still really difficult, because we miss him so much, 27 years we are certainly thankful for.....so very thankful, but at times I cannot resist to think about all he would be doing if he were still here with us...any ways .....one of the most important decisions by far was becoming an organ donor...like many of you have stated before...whatever is left of me for Gods sake come an get it. It may further anothers life, dream and vision...
sorta rambling here....good night all and God bless for carrying on the message and vision.
Sincerely,
Rebekkah Pennington
ps. donatelife.org will sign you up in your state of residence

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
ps. donatelife.org will sign you up in your state of residence
Awesome!

Don't forget to have the uncomfortable conversation with your loved ones, folks. If the time comes you won't be in a position to clarify anything and their not knowing your intentions could prevent the last good thing you can do for someone else. Signing up for things and checking the box on your license are great, but the people you would expect to be around NEED TO KNOW this is what you would want.

If you've already had the conversation, it never hurts to toss out a reminder either. :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Some friends I'm really close to lost a dear friend this week. Kara was 17 years old and in her senior year of high school. She was excited about going to college in the fall and was days away from performing as the dance lead in the school production of The Boys From Syracuse when she suddenly had a seizure and slipped into a coma. Things went from bad to worse, and her parents had to make the horrible decision to remove life support.

I went to her wake tonight and Kara's father told me they'd been informed that her organs have helped 8 people so far, including two newborns who otherwise had no chance. Kara's living on in this way seemed to be the biggest solace available to her family. I thanked him for making the decision and told him a bit about Robert and what he was able to do with the 10 years another family gave him.

I know the topic is an unpleasant one, but please discuss it with your loved ones while you can- even if you wouldn't want to try to help others. Don't assume you've used up all of your parts- the doctors will decide that, and don't assume your family will make the choice you'd prefer. The odds of it coming up are pretty slim, but your loved ones being aware of your wishes will comfort them if they ever have to make that decision.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
New year bump for this wonderful thread. Thank you so much for posting it up Reed. Roberts Birthday was the 27th of December. An organ donor from Houston allowed us to spend 10 more years with Robert when his liver failed at 17 years old. We're so thankful.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This is the first time (I think) that I have posted to solely bump a thread so here ya go :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I totally agree..if someone can use it, take it. I've also been on the Bone Marrow Registry for years. We need more educated people about organ donation etc.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts