Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already own a Solstice and a neighbor in my South TX RV park may be selling a red o7 Sky with 50k miles manual back in WI. Need to glean as much info as I can as I would like to put some more power under the hood as well as some better suspension.
What is the door differences for a start as I would like to install vertical lift kit?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Already own a Solstice and a neighbor in my South TX RV park may be selling a red o7 Sky with 50k miles manual back in WI. Need to glean as much info as I can as I would like to put some more power under the hood as well as some better suspension.
What is the door differences for a start as I would like to install vertical lift kit?
If you use the Search Forum, there are many threads about the doors as well as adding more power and other modifications.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you use the Search Forum, there are many threads about the doors as well as adding more power and other modifications.
Trying to use search. Google gets me to this site on most searches. The power additions I have already read and put into a budget. Suspension and braking i am still researching. The doors I seen while searching for cars to buy and again popped up while looking at brake kits last night

·
Registered
789 Posts
Trying to use search. Google gets me to this site on most searches. The power additions I have already read and put into a budget. Suspension and braking i am still researching. The doors I seen while searching for cars to buy and again popped up while looking at brake kits last night
If you look, there is a Search Community near the top of the page. There is a wealth of information on the Sky Roadster site.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
The door are exactly the same. For a VDI kit the differences between Sol and Sky lie in the front fenders. As I recall, both have to have some metalwork (small cutouts) in the top back fender support brackets, but the Sky has to also have a small area cut out of the plastic fender itself (on the top inside, where it won't be seen).

·
Registered
857 Posts
Welcome to the forum. From what I’ve seen it looks like VDI (Vertical Doors, Inc) seems to be the way to go.

I know “use the search feature” always just seems rude at least to me anyways. It’s honestly not bad advice, but it’s just never projected any other way. It is the internet after all. The folks here are great though. This is actually my favorite forum I’m a member of currently for that reason. For those questions that are asked all the time, like “what oil should I use?”or “what does this doohickey do?” Odds are high there is more than plenty of info out there without starting a new thread. Vertical doors don’t seem to be asked as often though, especially what’s the difference between Solstice and Sky doors as it pertains to, so I don’t know if your question as worded was fully searchable and most likely your issues in searching.

I did a quick search just on vertical doors here and found a few below. Other than TS’ you will most likely have to piece the info together from here and the Solstice site.

By the way where in south Texas are you located? I’m just outside and south of Austin myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. From what I’ve seen it looks like VDI (Vertical Doors, Inc) seems to be the way to go.

I know “use the search feature” always just seems rude at least to me anyways. It’s honestly not bad advice, but it’s just never projected any other way. It is the internet after all. The folks here are great though. This is actually my favorite forum I’m a member of currently for that reason. For those questions that are asked all the time, like “what oil should I use?”or “what does this doohickey do?” Odds are high there is more than plenty of info out there without starting a new thread. Vertical doors don’t seem to be asked as often though, especially what’s the difference between Solstice and Sky doors as it pertains to, so I don’t know if your question as worded was fully searchable and most likely your issues in searching.

I did a quick search just on vertical doors here and found a few below. Other than TS’ you will most likely have to piece the info together from here and the Solstice site.

By the way where in south Texas are you located? I’m just outside and south of Austin myself.
Palmview-Mission, about 3 miles North of border. What trouble. Witnessed bad accident this am as BP chased down a old Ford SUV
VDI doors were on sale at Amazon for 850 for Solstice and I could not tell what the difference was other than body panel

·
Registered
857 Posts
Palmview-Mission, about 3 miles North of border. What trouble. Witnessed bad accident this am as BP chased down a old Ford SUV
VDI doors were on sale at Amazon for 850 for Solstice and I could not tell what the difference was other than body panel
Ok I see why you were asking what the difference between the two was. I was thinking you were trying to reuse parts. $850 seems like a cheap price compared to VDI’s website. I haven’t done them myself, but have looked at them before. VDI has two different model numbers so I’m guessing there must be some subtle difference between the kits possibly.

You are very South Texas! I typically know it as the Valley and then I’m used to people calling areas in San Antonio and just south of there south Texas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I see why you were asking what the difference between the two was. I was thinking you were trying to reuse parts. $850 seems like a cheap price compared to VDI’s website. I haven’t done them myself, but have looked at them before. VDI has two different model numbers so I’m guessing there must be some subtle difference between the kits possibly.

You are very South Texas! I typically know it as the Valley and then I’m used to people calling areas in San Antonio and just south of there south Texas.
I believe the valley includes Laredo thats over 2 hours west while most of us here don't think of it much past Rio Grande city.

Difference in VDI could well be just a different set of instructions. I see that in retail all the time

·
Registered
857 Posts
I believe the valley includes Laredo thats over 2 hours west while most of us here don't think of it much past Rio Grande city.

Difference in VDI could well be just a different set of instructions. I see that in retail all the time
Possibly, I’ve seen instructions also just say skip steps 2-3 if working on X model instead of Y. I guess it depends on how it’s marketed. I’m not sure how long the Amazon deal will last, but I would just call or email VDI to confirm. Take all question out of it that way.

I’ve heard a few people refer to Laredo as the Valley too over they years, but I don’t beilieve it’s correct. My MIL and her family are from Laredo and they all just say Laredo when describing the area. I have a few friends who are originally from Harlingen, Brownsville, McAllen, etc and they’ve always explained it as the Vally basically ends where the farms end on 83 so around Rio Grande City like you said. If you start to seeing ranches you’re out of the valley at that point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Possibly, I’ve seen instructions also just say skip steps 2-3 if working on X model instead of Y. I guess it depends on how it’s marketed. I’m not sure how long the Amazon deal will last, but I would just call or email VDI to confirm. Take all question out of it that way.

I’ve heard a few people refer to Laredo as the Valley too over they years, but I don’t beilieve it’s correct. My MIL and her family are from Laredo and they all just say Laredo when describing the area. I have a few friends who are originally from Harlingen, Brownsville, McAllen, etc and they’ve always explained it as the Vally basically ends where the farms end on 83 so around Rio Grande City like you said. If you start to seeing ranches you’re out of the valley at that point.
I emailed VDI last Tuesday and got zip from them. But some companies stay out extra over the holiday or maybe cant fly back home:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts