Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not going to post this but I think I should share after yesterday’s conversation with my dealership. My Sky was delivered to the Saturn of Manatee on Monday. I ran over took some pictures and discussed picking it up after prep either Tuesday or Wednesday. I got a call Tuesday, and the dealer had discovered a problem with the gasket between the passenger side door and the window. I was informed that the part would be in Wednesday morning and was happy with that.

Wednesday about 1 PM I was informed that the part they received was the incorrect one, disappointed but understanding I accepted it would be Thursday before I could pick up my Sky. Thursday came around and well, the part did not show up, my dealer went ahead and ordered another to arrive Friday just in case Saturn shipped it to the wrong dealer.

Friday they received 2 of the same wrong part received Wednesday. At this point I had a long discussion with the dealer. It seems the part that was shipped with my Sky was a new design which obviously was not working, Saturn was aware of this and has designed a new part. That part however is not available to be shipped until yesterday. The dealer itself was informed of this information on Friday and had discussions with a regional manager Friday to discuss this.

I asked to talk to the regional manager and did speak with him. I discussed with him, that as a Director of Manufacturing I do understand the processes that need to be followed. I however am highly concerned that I am buying a new car from a organization that has proven inept enough to ship the wrong part 3 times. I am at this point very disappointed in Saturn, and am seriously considering withdrawing my purchase of the Sky Monday. He stated he would get the issue resolved and call me back in a couple hours. That was yesterday afternoon and I have yet to receive that call.

Had someone told the dealership that the part would be next week, I know they would have told me and I would have been happy to wait. I was initially impressed that the dealership found the problem, and they have gone out of their way to resolve the issue and keep me informed. I have nothing but praise for my dealer. Saturn however, has at this point shown a extreme ineptness and a lack of communication.

I deal with manufacturing issues daily, I have to make sure that as a company we communicate the status of issues to everyone involved. What I have been through this week, every morning the excitement of getting my Sky, every afternoon the anger at stupidity, reinforces how important communications that I give to our dealers and customers is important. At this point, I am not sure I want to do business with a company who obviously lacks in customer service and support.

I originally planned on buying a Crossfire this year, and am now contemplating that I perhaps may still do so.

YedraSky

·
Registered
994 Posts
Did you check the milage on the day it arrived and does it match what is on the car today? From what I've read from others, I wouldn't be surprised if they are using your car as a test drive model. Also, why couldn't you have picked up the car and scheduled the retrofit for a later date? I understand they kept saying tomorrow, tomorrow. But at this point it sounds like they don't know. Is the problem to severe to drive around with? Once you take it home and drive it, all of your misgivings will go away and you will be happy you have the car. Hang in there!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer guards it like a hawk, the milage was 6 when it came in and 11 now. I test drove it the 5 miles. The dealer will not let anyone sit in it:thumbs:

Like I said my dealer is not an issue and I am impressed with them.

The problem is the gasket on the passenger side rolls so that in a rain water would pour into the car. I live in Bradenton, Florida and it is rainy season, I do not want the car smelling like a dog in a week!:jester:

My problem truely is with Saturn Corporate, how is it possible to send the wrong gasket three days in a row?

YedraSky

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
My problem truely is with Saturn Corporate, how is it possible to send the wrong gasket three days in a row?

YedraSky
From what I saw in your posts, they sent the part that was ordered... it was still the old design.

It seems to have been a timing issue to me. They designed a replacement for the old design... had them made and they were enroute to the parts warehouse/supplier when yours was discovered to be needing a fix.

Another option would have been for them to have removed all the old ones from the shelves while waiting for the redesigned ones... but then your retailer would have received a not in stock notification and you would not know why you would be waiting. One might get upset thinking how could a company this size not have such a part instock.

I feel they took the better route in this instance. I do agree though that the regional manager should have called you back. I don't think you should give up on the car over it.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I feel they took the better route in this instance. I do agree though that the regional manager should have called you back. I don't think you should give up on the car over it.
:agree: :agree: At least they were honest enough to alert you to a problem. In my case, I did drive off the lot with a problem, but the problem got worse, I had the car for 4 whole days before I had to take it back for body work and that took 3 days. I think I would preferred it fixed before I took it, but like you we just wanted to drive it--In hindsight, I should of done what your dealer is doing, fix it first before I ride off with it.

As for the part issue, happens all the time, I don't care what company or corporation your talking about, at least in Saturns case they have the right part it is just a matter of getting it there. In many cases I deal with, heck the part does not even exist any more OR the manufacturer of that part is out of business, imagine what happens then. Or if the part has to be manufactured, your looking at weeks, if not months, in your case it might be a week, heck maybe 10 days, but at least your car will perfect and ready to go--Good luck my friend, I hope you stick with it.

BTW, the crossfire is a little bit more expensive, but if that is what you want by alls means go for it, do what will make you happy. Believe me, if you cancell your Sky order, there's somebody in line in Bradenton that will jump all over your car, in a minute--AND will drive it away when they finally get that window fixed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I originally planned on buying a Crossfire this year, and am now contemplating that I perhaps may still do so.

YedraSky

Get the SRT-6 Crossfire............unbelievable fun.:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
So they ordered a part, found out it wasn't right, then ordered two more of the same part number before looking into why it wasn't right? Sounds like at least some of the ineptitude is at your dealer.

If you don't want to take the car as it is now, I would wait the few days until they can get it right. It'll be a painful time, but a week from now you won't regret it. the week won't matter too much in terms of your long term happiness. If that won't work for you, by all means go out and get the Crossifre.

·
Registered
105 Posts
These stories concern me. So does the total lack of follow up by my first dealer, as well as lack of product knowledge on their part (dealer #2 rocks in both areas of customer service & product knowledge).

Now I'm no car sales guy, but I guess I've always considered Saturn at a different level than other mfg'rs that produce a specialty vehicle that demands a level of product knowledge equal to, OK greater, than prospective buyers. That absolutely hasn't been the case with dealer 1; but is with dealer 2.

I've never dealt with Saturn before, but these stories aren't what I've experienced with other dealers selling specialty products.

But then maybe the product's so new people aren't up to speed on it yet. Hold it, I guess that's no excuse come ot think of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let's be fair about this...

I understand there has been some concern about water getting into this car given a number of complaints. I have an inside source (GM engineer) that tells me they brought in a convertible Miata to test it against the same elements (tests) that the Sky endures. Turns out the Miata is like a freakin' rain channel. It fails many comparison tests against the Sky. Name one convertible in history that doesn't present issues over time...if you want a no rust gaurantee then you shouldn't order a convertible; either that or wait for the hard top version. I was told this is coming...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

YedraSky
Perhaps the same things will happen with the Crossfire -- :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
we have had 5 saturns now...very happy with all of them

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a day to calm down...

The frustration of seeing my Sky sitting there and knowing I cannot drive it...got to me!:banghead: Sad but as an older adult I am throwing a fit just like I would scold my children for doing. Does that mean I am experiancing my 15th childhood?:lol:

Reedred, actually they did talk to Saturn and were assured they were going to get the proper part. Quite honestly I can see and hear the dealers frustration and that is one of the reasons I have always liked this dealer, they try extremely hard to make my experiance a good one.:thumbs:

As far as rain getting in the car yes I expect it, but I won't take the car knowing that it will flow in.

I know I want the Sky far more then the Crossfire, I waited 6 months for this car, but I am still concerned about the communications.:crazy:

I do expect that when someone tells me they will call me back in two hours that will happen, still no return call. So, tomorrow I call the regional sales manager again and give him an ear full of grief for not calling me back. :mad:

And yes I want the Sky badly, much as I hate to say it I am caught hook, line, and sinker.:eek:

Hopefully get the right part so that I can drive my car off the lot FINALLY!!:willy:

Those taking your Sky's that just recently shipped, be sure to check the passenger gasket, if it is one like the one on mine the channel that water flows in will roll and flatten to the inside of the car.

YedraSky
Soon to be driving a Sunburst Yellow Sky!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My family has owned 9 Saturns, and I have owned 6 of them. I have had a problem with two of them. The worst one was a leaky sunroof in my SC2, and the Dealership was good about it, but as mentioned before, Saturn Corp. was not. Saturn in the beginning was a great Company to deal with. I over the years have noticed that maybe they have become too big. You know the left hand does not know what the right is up to. On a whole I am happy with the cars I have owned, 2 bad out of 6 is not that bad. Saturn has definately lost touch of what they used to do best. Sell cars, get you your car, and stand behind it. The Sky has to be one of the best cars they have ever designed, but unfortunately they are only making a few.:confused:
I hope they can resolve your issue, and then get back to what they used to do best, please the consumer.:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Saturn Corp. did go way above and beyond to keep me happy with my L200, which had a lot of problems. I was going to trade it on an Impala and take a huge loss when it was 18 months old because the warranty was expiring and I wasn't interested in being on the hook for any major repairs. My father got me to hold off and called some sort of area manager who intervened and got me to keep the car. I never expected that would happen, and that dedication to customer satisfaction really impressed me. There is defintely a desire to stand behind the product that I haven't seen with any companmy other than Mercedes. Sorry the execution wasn't perfect in your case, Yedra, but try to keep calm. They'll make it right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been way less than impressed with Saturn Corp. through the process of waiting for my Sky. My dealer finally rec'd a printout of the event codes early this month (had supposedly been asking for a month) and found that my car was 3800 on 7/28/06 and 4B00 on 8/2/06. As of 8/25, it's still not here and the dealer can't get corporate to tell them where it is. :banghead: Cars are trucked here from Delaware so there are no trains involved to slow things down. Perhaps my dealer just doesn't know how things work but he reports that Saturn Corp. just has been overwhelmed with the response to the Sky and hasn't been able to get things set up so that it's easy to track orders. It seems that no one has ever been in that big a hurry for their SL2.:lol: Alas, the wait goes on. :willy:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had exactly the same problem you did with the gaskets on both my windows not working. After a long wait I received the gaskets only to find out that they didn't fit nor could they get additional parts. To make along story short they replaced the entire roof which was much quicker than the actual gaskets. As mentioned the dealership has gone over and above to keep me happy but I'm still amazed that saturn would go through the expense of replacing an entire roof for lack of a fiteen dollar gasket. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just to complete the posts on rain getting into the car, I would think that any rag top will leak under tremendous amounts of rain (thus the warning not to use a high pressure car wash). This weekend I had my Sky parked outside and we got a huge rain storm, 3 inches in an hour. After the rain stopped, I fully expected to see wet seats, water in trunk, etc. All I got was a few drops on the center counsel and nothing else. I was quite satisfied actually, given how hard the rain (and wind) blew.

Of course, just my luck, it has rained every day since I got the Sky last week Wednesday (and it raining again today). :banghead: I wonder what it is like driving on warm sunny days with the top down?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just to complete the posts on rain getting into the car, I would think that any rag top will leak under tremendous amounts of rain (thus the warning not to use a high pressure car wash). This weekend I had my Sky parked outside and we got a huge rain storm, 3 inches in an hour. After the rain stopped, I fully expected to see wet seats, water in trunk, etc. All I got was a few drops on the center counsel and nothing else. I was quite satisfied actually, given how hard the rain (and wind) blew.

Of course, just my luck, it has rained every day since I got the Sky last week Wednesday (and it raining again today). :banghead: I wonder what it is like driving on warm sunny days with the top down?

I needed to cut some large panels in the garage so Sunni1 had to sit outside -- GUESS WHAT -- HUGE rain; torrents - downpours. After 3.5 hours of being beat upon I went to pull her back in -- dry as can be!! WhooooooHo!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After two weeks, they found a gasket that will not leak. Saturn asked them to replace my top which they ordered yesterday. Seems they think the top may be the cause, so at least someone is paying attention. Like I have said the dealer has been very good and I do recommend them to anyone in the area::)

The good news is that because the gasket does not leak I get my Sky in 3 Hours!!:cheers: :cool:

No I am not excited, it was 5:30 on a Saturday when I woke up in anticipation!!

YedraSky

1 - 19 of 19 Posts