Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started working on my car a few weeks ago, I noticed the inner fenders are cracked. Whether that's my fault or not, I want to repair them to some degree. It looks like they both cracked where they are bolted on the frame. Do you guys have any suggestions for "welding" plastic? I'm sure a Google search will do fine, but I'd love to hear input from all of you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They are made of HDPE, to repair them they have to be "welded". I know a few guys at PVC/Plastic mfg shops that do the HPVE welding. It's not clean looking when done.
You might as well order the after markets.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replace them.
Yes...but replace them with the aftermarket ones...cheaper and stronger. Go to E bay. Remember to order specific for your car...R/L or NA
They are made of HDPE, to repair them they have to be "welded". I know a few guys at PVC/Plastic mfg shops that do the HPVE welding. It's not clean looking when done.
You might as well order the after markets.
I've been throwing around a lot of dough for the water pump and related work.
Buying replacements isn't top priority right now.
Clean looking isn't top priority.

I just want them to not interfere with the operation of the Sky and keep protecting the inside.

·
Registered
17,660 Posts
I've been throwing around a lot of dough for the water pump and related work.
Buying replacements isn't top priority right now.
Clean looking isn't top priority.

I just want them to not interfere with the operation of the Sky and keep protecting the inside.
You are talking about 50-60 dollars which include shipping for both...maybe cheaper...but make sure they are specific to your car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just can't see the time and energy is worth it to try and repair a crack that large. If you're anything like me, then you will go out and spend whatever you think it will take to weld up the crack, then realize the weld doesn't hold that well or looks terrible and then go out and order the replacement parts. So I've started to learn to just replace vs trying to repair (I still struggle with this internally though). When I do, it saves me the money and time I otherwise would of invested into a futile effort. I've seen fender wells go for anywhere between $30 - $60 on Amazon or ebay. I don't think I have ever seen any though that have the RL brake tube holes pre-cut for that price though. So you just need a hole saw and use the old fender wells as a template and sit them on top and trace out the hole onto the new ones.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just can't see the time and energy is worth it to try and repair a crack that large. If you're anything like me, then you will go out and spend whatever you think it will take to weld up the crack, then realize the weld doesn't hold that well or looks terrible and then go out and order the replacement parts. So I've started to learn to just replace vs trying to repair (I still struggle with this internally though). When I do, it saves me the money and time I otherwise would of invested into a futile effort. I've seen fender wells go for anywhere between $30 - $60 on Amazon or ebay. I don't think I have ever seen any though that have the RL brake tube holes pre-cut for that price though. So you just need a hole saw and use the old fender wells as a template and sit them on top and trace out the hole onto the new ones.
GET OUT OF MY HEAD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd order a tube of U-418 urethane adhesive on evil-bay for about $12.......This is urethane rubber in a caulking gun tube designed to install windshields..... This is the strongest and toughest stuff that is flexible on the market. I would just put down some screen or fiberglass cloth over the crack and butter it up with the urethane.... do both sides too..... It is black and would blend well with your fender liner.... I have used this on plenty of projects and all all holding up well to this day.....

PS....wear disposable gloves doing this !!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Then like Steveorama said.... after the time and expense of the repair..... you’ll be doing it all over again with new parts....... It’s not OCD........ it’s CDO..... OCD just drives me crazy because it’s not in alphabetical order.... 😜

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm literally the one who made the Kappa parts list. I'm not seeing/fonding them that cheap boys. Would you please link?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have bought cheap aftermarket fender liners for other vehicles. Though they do the job, they are surely inferior being made much thinner and without a textured finish. In the case with any Kappa, the liners are a "showy" item. I would be concerned they would cheapen the appearance. I would not want my fender liners looking like recycled milk jugs.

In the link provided, those being sold on eBay look like recycled milk jugs. A patch repair done from the outside might look a lot nicer than those cheap aftermarket liners. Just align the crack nicely. The comment using windshield caulk seems reasonable.

But I vote for getting brand new OEM liners. If they arrive scuffed as is often the case, do that heat gun heat treatment before installing them. So much about the Sky is about "the look". Don't take away from that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My vote is against the OEM liners. The aftermarket ones are a lot more durable. Not sure why you think they are make from recycled milk jugs.
My aftermarket liners actually got some interesting questions at car shows, like one guy asked if they were carbon fiber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're probably convinced by now to replace and I would second that as well. Trying to make that kind of repair is huge and the confidence of success is low. Someone said $120 for a pair. Done! I'm curious what happened to cause that cracking to begin with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts