Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on the Solstice Forum there are Insiders that work at the plant , I wonder if any of them are on here and they could enlighten us on any info they may have heard... Also are there any Saturn dealers on here too? ARE YOU OUT THERE??? let us know...
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I'm not a saturn insider, but I play one in the forum.
I heard that Sky_dealer may be one.. lets gang up and take his lunch money :)

I'm kidding.. but hey, any information you have would be helpful. (at least give us our sky high fix) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
we're happy to have any info, but i dont wany anyone at GM to lose their job or even get in trouble for giving us info. we'll take whats passed out, but ill be patient for it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Please refrain from asking insiders to post information. It is [A] against forum policies and against GM policies as well. Posting by insiders, especially about unreleased products can end up getting that person in a lot of trouble, or even fired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
brentil said:
Please refrain from asking insiders to post information. It is [A] against forum policies and against GM policies as well. Posting by insiders, especially about unreleased products can end up getting that person in a lot of trouble, or even fired.



That's the truth, the whole truth, so help me GOD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Delnari said:
That's the truth, the whole truth, so help me GOD!
i just noticed it goes on on the Solstice forum and wondered why nobody seems to have the same kind of inside info here, i didn;t mean to violate any forum policies, for that i am sorry.....
:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
classic66vair said:
i just noticed it goes on on the Solstice forum and wondered why nobody seems to have the same kind of inside info here, i didn;t mean to violate any forum policies, for that i am sorry.....
:banghead:
yeah, it does happen on the solsticeforum and there have been a few sticky moments over it. i would hate to see someone from GM take wrath just so we could find something out a little earlier than GM wanted us to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Inside info does occasionally trickle out, but don't expect anyone to hop on here and tell you everything.

Brentil is right, as well as Delnari.

There are a few insiders over here as well, they just have to be careful. Too many posts or too much info, and GM will have no problem figuring out who's posting from where, even without requesting for information from the forum.

The other reason is that "inside info" is by definition very fluid - it's amazing the amount of things that are in, then out, then back in....

IIRC, Delnari once posted "inside" information that the Sky would have a window antenna (forgive me if that is not true, Del', maybe I'm remembering someone else, going by my fading memory). Yet when the cars started showing up at shows with the mast antenna that is pretty much standard on Solstice, I wasn't the least bit surprised - I bet they were trying to do it but could not execute it due to some engineering reason (like reception efficiency, or wiring, or cost). Inside info expressed "intention", what really got executed was different.

Even over at Solsticeforum, premature "inside" information just got everyone anxious and really pi$$ed off - startup went from "Fall 05" to "March", to May 15, to May 31, to June 12, to 2nd week of july... each time, everyone took that startup date to the bank.

Made for great discussions, and a lot of caution from several others about how fluid the info is (leading to my analogy of trying to predict the actual birth hour of a new baby over there).

So, I occasionally get the opportunity to ask people like Lutz, Queen, and others in the industry (including an engineer or two). IF I get the chance, what do you want to know?

We all know that Saturn is intending to start production sometime in spring 06. I can speculate that Saturn is prolly going to try to do some sort of promotion, but there's no info on that until plans gel later.

We also know that an automatic trans will be available about the same time as the intro of the Sky (spring 06). The specs for the mechanicals are virtually the same as the Solstice.

We also know that there will be more standard options, we've had speculation of about 10,000 Sky a year intended to be produced, and that they MAY go for a small premium above the Solstice, comparably equipped.

We also know that there is no word on a Redline version, but the existence of such a car has been speculated.

We also know to pay close attention to January 06's North American International Auto Show (06 NAIAS) and possibly this year's SEMA show.

What else can I ask - I'll give it a shot for you Classic66vair. All they can say is "no comment". ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
kappaman said:
So, I occasionally get the opportunity to ask people like Lutz, Queen, and others in the industry (including an engineer or two). IF I get the chance, what do you want to know?

We all know that Saturn is intending to start production sometime in spring 06. I can speculate that Saturn is prolly going to try to do some sort of promotion, but there's no info on that until plans gel later.

.

What else can I ask - I'll give it a shot for you Classic66vair. All they can say is "no comment". ;)
Thanks and i guess you know from my other posts i have a very personal reason for wanting to get my Sky ASAP... Just found out yesterday that my wife may not have as much time as i thought... could be as little as 6 months... I guess i am just wishful thinking that maybe the Sky will come out a little earlier than March...
One thing i wish Saturn would let us know and maybe you can let them know, that if they do some sort of promotion like Pontiac did with the Solstice, they are going to have some very unhappy customers, since Saturn's customer service told us to go to our dealership and be put on a wait list to get the Sky.. As they told me if i was First or second on their wait list and they had already accepted my deposit they will have to honor that and let me the first or second one to order.... as of now i think i have been moved from second to first one the Wait list...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
My understanding (again, from my dealer) is that the car goes into production in September. The release date will be February or March. It's really too bad we can't forward your unfortunate situation to Saturn so you could get one hot off of the presses. We will all say our prayers that everything moves along smoothly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angelqute1 said:
My understanding (again, from my dealer) is that the car goes into production in September. The release date will be February or March. It's really too bad we can't forward your unfortunate situation to Saturn so you could get one hot off of the presses. We will all say our prayers that everything moves along smoothly.
Thank you, yesterday i told her i was going to take my truck and find a used Corvette convertable and make a trade for it so we could enjoy some cruising time together, but she is insisting we wait for the Sky....I hope your dealer is right..... thanks again for the prayers,
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
My understanding (again, from my dealer) is that the car goes into production in September. The release date will be February or March. It's really too bad we can't forward your unfortunate situation to Saturn so you could get one hot off of the presses. We will all say our prayers that everything moves along smoothly.
I have had a chance to talk to at least three folks directly associated with the Saturn Sky. September will NOT be the start of production. The only potential is this is when pre-production cars and assembly plant trial cars will start - as we know from the Solstice, though, these precede the actual production by several months (at least 5 months or 6 months). It seems that there have been some misinformation tidbits that have been leaked and misunderstood (hence the reason we must be careful with things that seem like "inside info". Even people like Reuss, that aren't involved with the day-to-day planning get this information mixed up at times).

I'm sorry, classic66vair, I know this is not good news - and lends more to the speculation that production start is indeed sometime next spring (2006).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
sky_vue said:
I'm not a saturn insider, but I play one in the forum.
I heard that Sky_dealer may be one.. lets gang up and take his lunch money :)

I'm kidding.. but hey, any information you have would be helpful. (at least give us our sky high fix) :lol:
:D I'm not an insider althou I work at a Saturn Dealer in SC. I may get some info from time to time but I'm sure it will probably be available to the general public ALMOST at the same time it is to me. :eek:

I used to work for another car maker and almost got in trouble for leaking out info I didn't know it was "classified." So I won't make that mistake again unless I'm told I can tell. :banghead:

:willy: S.D. :willy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
:D I'm not an insider althou I work at a Saturn Dealer in SC. I may get some info from time to time but I'm sure it will probably be available to the general public ALMOST at the same time it is to me. :eek:

I used to work for another car maker and almost got in trouble for leaking out info I didn't know it was "classified." So I won't make that mistake again unless I'm told I can tell. :banghead:

:willy: S.D. :willy:
Actually the main reason we have a lot of our information at the Solstice Forums is member Small Dealer is a Pontiac dealer and he provides an outstanding level of information to us. He takes it upon himself to look up valid information in the Pontiac dealer system, and helps out a great deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sky Dealer said:
:D I'm not an insider althou I work at a Saturn Dealer in SC. I may get some info from time to time but I'm sure it will probably be available to the general public ALMOST at the same time it is to me. :eek:

I used to work for another car maker and almost got in trouble for leaking out info I didn't know it was "classified." So I won't make that mistake again unless I'm told I can tell. :banghead:

:willy: S.D. :willy:
i wouldn;t want anyone to lose their job or get in trouble...
Thanks anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Gossip we are allowed to hear

Insider information, or speculation, take your pick on what to call it is not always good information. Early forms of the Sky had design "wish" features that ended in the trash can. Yes, I did post information about these items and I'm sad to say some didn't come true.

To help improve my batting average I can share some information I was recently given by one of the engineers directly involved with the project. Just forget about the traction control and no exterior antenna comments.

-There were early attempts to accomodate an exhaust bank on the driver's side, possibly to handle a V-6 and/or right hand drive. BEFORE there was a Kappa platform, however, those plans went by the wayside. The underbody was made asymmetric (for a right exhaust exit) and a slight sacrifice in the structural tie-in was made to accomodate the catalytic converter. Once the design settled down, the platform was named Kappa, and any attempts to accomodate a V-6 or larger, or the right hand drive were pretty much abandoned. Essentially, to fit the right hand exhaust bank will require a healthy amount of "not impossible" finessing. The decision to design the car around the ecotec was made before the very first hand-built car (from the Spy Photo above in the Aug 2003 article) was even built. The car was never designed to handle true dual exhaust.

-We looked at using Colorado (truck) control arms, corvette control arms, corvette corners - MANY combinations before quickly understanding that to get appropriate geometry we would need a new suspension.

-We have Kappa-specific knuckles, control arms, bushings. We share things like ball joints (with corvette and Cadillac STS). Share hub assemblies with the ION Redline and Saab 9-3. The suspension design is unique, however, to the kappa.

I hope these can get you through the next couple of weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kappaman said:
I have had a chance to talk to at least three folks directly associated with the Saturn Sky. September will NOT be the start of production. The only potential is this is when pre-production cars and assembly plant trial cars will start - as we know from the Solstice, though, these precede the actual production by several months (at least 5 months or 6 months). It seems that there have been some misinformation tidbits that have been leaked and misunderstood (hence the reason we must be careful with things that seem like "inside info". Even people like Reuss, that aren't involved with the day-to-day planning get this information mixed up at times).

I'm sorry, classic66vair, I know this is not good news - and lends more to the speculation that production start is indeed sometime next spring (2006).
thanks, I just hope early 2006 means before June...
I almost wish I had gone ahead and gotten on the first 1000 solstice deal, I was ready and almost to the dealership when I decided to wait for the Sky... and now I don't know if my wife will be able to enjoy it with me... Life is so unfair....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
classic66vair said:
thanks, I just hope early 2006 means before June...
I almost wish I had gone ahead and gotten on the first 1000 solstice deal, I was ready and almost to the dealership when I decided to wait for the Sky... and now I don't know if my wife will be able to enjoy it with me... Life is so unfair....
No negativity allowed here! Don't worry, she will. I think i can speak for everyone here when I say our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife! Hold your head up and know that she will be able to enjoy it! All will be fine. :) one day we'll all meet and be able to swap stories. We're all one big happy "SKY" loving family, here! I can honestly say that the folks in this forum are truly one of a kind. We're with you! GODSPEED, Friend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Delnari, can you tell us where your info came from?

Sounds quite detailed, as if you had a conversation with engineers involved in the program.

Is it top secret info, or did this occur during a sanctioned event... if you know what I mean... ;)?

Just asking, because if you got the info from an event, like a press show (similar to the one in Oregon) or the First 1000 Delivery party, I doubt GM would have a problem with it, as they knew engineers would be in contact with the public.

I'm just trying to make sure this thread doesn't turn into a manhunt for the source of information that turns out to be legit.

Unless you just made it up... :lol: JUST KIDDING!!!! :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top