Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we took our SKY to a factory installer for 3M paint protector film. It took the installer about 5 hours to finish the job. The 3m kit upper for the hood is quite wide and covers 2 feet from the front edge of the front hood. Bumperkit and cowl kit also installed. I also had him custom cut film for in front of each back wheel, the area that flares out.

This stuff is fantastic! I was looking at it this moring and could barely find the hood line. You have to purposely look for the stuff from about 2 feet away to really see it. The installer did a wonderfull job. To give you an idea how the kit goes on, the bumper kit is about 2/3 the width of the front. As it is put on it is stretched to reach the other side. I personally would not want to tackle this job for fear of mucking up one of the pre cut decals. They are expensive to buy. The installer said he had several hundred dollars at his cost. I know kits can be in the $400 - 600 range for us to buy them. At that price, let an installer do it.

My total was $625 and covers the partial hood, bumper, lower cowl, front side fender, mirror fronts, and in front flare of rear wheels. Most installers will come to your garage to do the work.

Picture? I tried, but you have to shoot it at it's worst angle to the light to even get it to show up. Don't ask!

It came with a six month warranty from the installer, and 5 year warranty from 3m. I'm very happy with the results.

I will not mention the installer here for obvious reasons, but 3m has a website that can direct you to installers (hope I can say that!). Kappashield also offers a similar product.

My installer showed me 2 stone chips I have allready picked up in just 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I also had the 3M bra installed and LOVE it.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Care for Clear Bra

Do you clean it with anything different than the rest of the car? Also, I would worry that dirt might build up on the seam lines. Any info would be appreciated.

Silver Pearl
Black/Red Leather
Manual
6 Disk Monsoon

Waiting somewhat patiently in Bama

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Macpar4 said:
Do you clean it with anything different than the rest of the car? Also, I would worry that dirt might build up on the seam lines. Any info would be appreciated.
Installer told me to just blot the edges with a cotton cloth when washed. An old toothbrush can also take the dirt that builds up off the seam.

Nothing special to clean other than what is used on the car. Same thing for the wax.

·
Registered
295 Posts
sounds great...if at some point you could get a pic would like to see it..thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
...just wait, it will shrink, yellow, go dull, and crack; but that's 2-5 years down the road depending on how much sun your car gets.

Seen it happen many times.

What area was left exposed on the front end, Chrome trim?

·
Registered
86 Posts
2-5 years out of the film would be great, far cheaper than a repaint. Also, from my understanding, 3m reformulated the film to prevent yellowing. Elises here in GA fitted with this film 2 years on still holding up very well with no discoloring.

The edge line does attract brake dust and road grime making the line visible on light color cars, but this washes away when washing the car.

I question the need of coverage on the top of the hood tho, the hood is pretty much paralled to the road, not sloping very much, can't see the need, main area to get the beating would be the nose, air dam, lower side rockers and the area immediately infront of the rear wheel arches.
Chris

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bradyb said:
...just wait, it will shrink, yellow, go dull, and crack; but that's 2-5 years down the road depending on how much sun your car gets.

Seen it happen many times.

What area was left exposed on the front end, Chrome trim?
I have a 5 year guarantee against this from 3M. I believe this latest film solves this problem with it's formulation. 3m film is now standard or optional from the factory on many expensive cars including Lambrogini, lotus, Aston martin, and many others.

As for the sun, the material is now UV safe from deteriorating all the way through. The sun is actually part of the installation. I was told to leave car out in the sun to heat the film for it to stick even better and to remove any small bubbles that may have formed. I saw no bubbles at all under the film.

Last night in my garage I went to check the edge on the hood, and I was alarmed as I could not see it. Had to feel for it. It really is quite clear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
any know of a clear bra installer (3M or Kappa) in the New Jersery or Philly area? Please PM me with details.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bullseye said:
I question the need of coverage on the top of the hood tho, the hood is pretty much paralled to the road, not sloping very much, can't see the need, main area to get the beating would be the nose, air dam, lower side rockers and the area immediately infront of the rear wheel arches.
Chris
I thought the same this when the installer told me the kit had film 2 feet up the hood. After we looked, you will notice that the hood from the windshield down, begins to drop (get lower) about 2 feet before the front end. I assume that is why. The installer said many of the kits are like this as the film is so invisible, it just makes sense to cover an area that would really show the stone chips. My f150 pickup's hood is all chipped up and it is very "level" and much higher off the ground.

The film does not cover any of the chrome by the way. Headlights are an option I did not get and requires a different material from 3M. Any area can be added by a factory installer and cut from sheets of material he has in stock and in fact, I think that is a good way for them to increase their profit. My installer saw an area in the front grill area that he thought would catch stones, so he cut some strips to cover these. He did not charge me for those small areas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JerseyCitySky said:
any know of a clear bra installer (3M or Kappa) in the New Jersery or Philly area? Please PM me with details.
I just went to the 3m site and looked them up! Here is a link:
Click here

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blueskygal said:
Clean this just as you would wash the car?
Carlie
Installer told me to clean as you would your car, other than not using anything abraisive like rubbing compound. He said to never use color wax on the film.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bra

I bought the Kappa bra but haven't installed it yet, its about the same as the 3M, will let you know how it works out.:thumbs:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Turk said:
I have a 5 year guarantee against this from 3M. I believe this latest film solves this problem with it's formulation. 3m film is now standard or optional from the factory on many expensive cars including Lambrogini, lotus, Aston martin, and many others.

As for the sun, the material is now UV safe from deteriorating all the way through. The sun is actually part of the installation. I was told to leave car out in the sun to heat the film for it to stick even better and to remove any small bubbles that may have formed. I saw no bubbles at all under the film.

Last night in my garage I went to check the edge on the hood, and I was alarmed as I could not see it. Had to feel for it. It really is quite clear.
Ya okay, the "formulation" has been the exact same for about 4 years now and high dollar cars do not come "standard" with 3M film. There will be small pieces here and there like the lower inside fenders but no cars come standard with a full clear bra. It's a dealer add on and a quick way to make $300.

I've had it on two vehicles and I removed it from both. What happens is that unlike what your salesmen told you it will not magically go back to being perfectly smooth after being sand blasted by road debris. You can't wax it smooth again like you can paint so it just gets worse and worse. I only could take 36,000 miles on my black Camaro. I got sick of the paint looking great and the clear bra looking dull.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you guys want to save yourselves $500 just go to your local auto parts store and order a couple rolls of it and apply it yourselves.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Turk...I had my SOL done at horizon audio in N. Canton back in january for $600.00..

they also put on a 4 inch tint strip across the top of the windshield

I agree with everything you have posted

bradyb...i do NOT disagree with you....but I would never do it myself...they have a template now (I was the first) and this way I have the guarantee also.

but let me explain one thing

Since april...and the bugs....the whole front end gets splattered- regularly

I can take a scrubby and get all that stuff off without worrying about swirling the paint.
I also wax it just the way TURK does and also use a toothbrush.

Don't be too intense with the toothbrush otherwise you'll create a lip at the seal line and then you really will see it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bradyb said:
Ya okay, the "formulation" has been the exact same for about 4 years now and high dollar cars do not come "standard" with 3M film. There will be small pieces here and there like the lower inside fenders but no cars come standard with a full clear bra. It's a dealer add on and a quick way to make $300.

I've had it on two vehicles and I removed it from both. What happens is that unlike what your salesmen told you it will not magically go back to being perfectly smooth after being sand blasted by road debris. You can't wax it smooth again like you can paint so it just gets worse and worse. I only could take 36,000 miles on my black Camaro. I got sick of the paint looking great and the clear bra looking dull.
Sorry you had a bad experience with the film. I understand the film on a black car is the most challenging and will show up more than a light car like my silver pearl. As for not being used on production cars, my Sky seems to have film just under my top's rear tails! Hmmmm, that was from the factory. Ya , it may or may not be 3m, but it is being used on todays' production cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bradyb said:

Brady,
Don't think I ever had a salesman ascribe any magical qualities to the starshield film. I can say my experience and other elise owners who've had it for two years on their cars are pretty happy with it. My feeling is that it reduces the need for a repaint.
FYI> I've been using and applying this film for years on areas on my motorcycles that get lots of impacts from the road, removed the film after a couple years and underneath paint was as new.

Kind of pretty easy decision to make, whether a person wants to repaint the front end every year or replace the starshield every 3 or 4 years.
Chris
PS> I most definately would not recommend this as the aveage diy project, you have to squegee all the air moisture out properly or it looks like hell. It's worth the $$ for professional install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts