Saturn Sky Forum banner

Installing GT Manufaktur Gas spring for trunk lid

23K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  mtdjohn2018 
#1 ·
I have read the posts about this "trunk lifter", corresponded with Werner at GT-Manufaktur, (he sent the installation instructions) and I now have the assembly in hand. My car is a 2007 Solstice GXP. I don't happen to have a Sky roadster for comparison on the trunk body structure. Mounting to the trunk lid is no problem, however...nowhere is the installation of the body mount in the trunk shown. It is always shown in place, either in the instructions on on the forum. Does the Sky have two bolt holes or is it simply the open space, about the size of an old time 35mm slide. The forward facing plate with the two bolts slop around in that space until you cinch them up to the lower gas strut mount. That's what it looks like on the Solstice.

There is no mention of how to align the bottom assembly relative to that square opening so the gas strut is aligned properly. Maybe I'm asking for more information than this needs to make it work but it sure would be nice to get it right the first time. There are also no lock washers for the two bolts and until you begin to tighten them there's a bit of movement there.

I appreciate any helpful information. If you have installed one of these then you probably know what I'm talking about. Next step is for me to post photos I reckon.

Thanks,
Richard Snipes

See less See more
#35 ·
There is no mention of how to align the bottom assembly relative to that square opening so the gas strut is aligned properly. Maybe I'm asking for more information than this needs to make it work but it sure would be nice to get it right the first time. There are also no lock washers for the two bolts and until you begin to tighten them there's a bit of movement there.

I appreciate any helpful information. If you have installed one of these then you probably know what I'm talking about. Next step is for me to post photos I reckon.

Thanks,
Richard Snipes
Just finished the install myself. The instructions are really missing this picture.

and his pic looks like the top strut mount is in B not A here is mine.

Now Why is the hole for the locking pin on the back side. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A$$ that was. Glad A2 was the right combo for my trunk lid as I would hate to have to do that again.

But its in looks factory and I am very happy. On to the next mod.

Attachments

#44 ·
UPDATE:

I removed the lower bracket and reshaped the metal. Some folks call that bending it but that sounds so crude.:lol::lol:

I moved the lower ball connecting point in towards the center of the car about 1'8" and now have plenty of clearance to the hinge joint.

While I was in there I set the adjustment to the B-3 position.

All is well now.:cheers:

Larry

#46 ·
When I first put it back in the rod was touching the trunk trim you mentioned. Then I moved it a little closer to the hinge pivot point and it just cleared the the trim piece. It has to be centered between the pivot point and the trunk trim piece. As you know this is a tight area and not much room for any slop.

The good news is if you over bend it a little it is very easy to move it back closer to the hinge by just prying it with a screwdriver. If you look at it you will see it almost has a built in pry point to bend it toward the hinge but not to bend it away.

I really like the B3 position better even though it opened slowly on the a2.

Larry

#47 ·
Need to Drill!

My 2007 2.4 Sky needs holes drilled inside trunk to add this. Anybody done this? I have pics but not sure how to get them on here. They are in PDF format. Thanks in advance! Bob

#49 · (Edited)
#58 ·
LOL Davhamm. I had 2 years in HS and another year in college...then found out I had to have a second year in college when i went back a few years ago and ASU didn't offer German online...So I took Spanish and every time I tried to translate something in my head it went from English, to German, to Spanish...IF I got it...if I didn't it came out half in German and half in Spanish. Uhg.

No you did fine with the link. I think he got it.

Tippy, let us know how it goes.

#59 ·
Ok guys, got in touch with Werner yesterday. Ordered the trunk opener and got a message from him this morning that it's out of stock. It will ship early next week. Really looking forward to the install. I'm tired of my too long fingernails that are need to grap the trunk to get it open. Lol

#60 ·
Installing Gas Shock for Trunk Lid

Has anyone had a problem with the lid moving out of place when installing this according to instructions? I plan on marking its location with tape just in case, but just wondered if just snugging up the bottom bolt after installing the bracket is sufficient to hold the lid while taking out the top bolt to swing the bracket into position. Thanks, TerryJ

#61 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the lid moving out of place when installing this according to instructions? I plan on marking its location with tape just in case, but just wondered if just snugging up the bottom bolt after installing the bracket is sufficient to hold the lid while taking out the top bolt to swing the bracket into position. Thanks, TerryJ
I've had mine on for a few years and no issue with the deck lid moving.

#63 ·
Trunk lid gas shock install

I guess I must have asked the question in the wrong way. What I meant to ask was, During the install of the bracket that uses the original bolts that attach the lid to the hinges, you take the bottom bolt out and attach the new bracket that the gas strut ball goes on. When you tighten this lower bolt back up enough to still allow the bracket to rotate into position at the upper bolt location (now removed) does the lid try to move or change position when you rotate the bracket into position so you can reinstall the upper bolt? I hope this clears up my original question. Thanks, TerryJ :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.