Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I got a new toy and I’m having issues with the cluster lighting. I’ve read most of the posts, but I’m throwing this out there.
I can’t get the speedo or tach lights to come on at all. Doesn’t matter what setting I’m in on the turn signal stalk.
The dimmer wheel is unresponsive.
‘If I turn the car on, the exterior lights come on but everything Inside is dark. If I go to the auto lights off setting, the radio lights and the DIC will come on.
All the exterior lights runs til as they should. headlights, taillights, brake lights, back up light and turn signals work.
Fog lights will turn on with the switch, but don’t turn off.
Doesnt matter if the car is in the garage or in the sunlight.
I went in and “re-seated all the fuses and relays to make sure none were loose.
Precious owner said all worked. I have no reason not to believe him.

low hanging fruit tells me to start with the dimmer switch, etc.
thoughts? I’m mechanical, but weak with electronics.

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
Do the radio and DIC respond properly to the ambient light sensor when in the sun? You said that they brighten with auto lights off, but should also do that when in the sun.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Did you check your fuses in both fuse boxes? There is a hidden fuse box on the passenger floor most forward area behind the vertical carpet.

If every fuse is in good order, the next thing I would do is disconnect the battery overnight to reset all systems which is surely a long shot, then look into the dimmer wheel by the fog light switch, then the sensor on top of the dash. The directional signal stalk is another less likely, but related component. Since you believe everything worked before and suddenly stopped working, I believe you can rule out burnt-out light bulbs.

I bought our high mileage "Base" Sky (118K) with all kinds of interior lighting failures, but most were burnt-out incandescent light bulbs. The radio display lit up but not the individual buttons. I made the bold decision to replace every light bulb (burnt-out or working) inside the car to "daylight" LEDs along with refacing the IP cluster for improved lighting.

The radio has 100% internal LED lighting, no incandescent bulbs. The circuit board for the face of the radio was faulty. I replaced it with one of a Chevy Cobalt which illuminates much closer to my changed lighting. It has a slight lime colored illumination, not the blue-tint daylight, but I considered it close enough.

I also changed the lens in the radio to coordinate with the change in the DIC and the rest of the car.

The steering wheel button illumination is the only lighting that remains dark orange, though strangely does not appear so in this picture.

I also added "Floor & Glove Box" lighting that turns on and dims off with the mirror lighting, but also on-demand with a switch seen to the right of the passenger airbag indicator.
Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive lighting

If the following three systems did not work for you (brake lights, cruise control, and key fobs) along with questionable stated mileage in the DIC, I would say your Body Control Module (BCM) was replaced but not programmed properly during installation, a one shot opportunity. A new BCM is the only solution to get everything working right. I speak from personal experience.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had the top down, but driving the car in the daylight-the radio and DIC lights remain illuminated in the bottom stalk position.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will give the disconnect a try tonight. I did reset the fuses in both locations. That was the first thing I did.
The summer wheel and the signal stalk look easy enough. Wondering how difficult the ambient sensor is to replace?
BCM may be the way to go. If I remember correctly it’s fairly easy to get at?

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
I have not had the top down, but driving the car in the daylight-the radio and DIC lights remain illuminated in the bottom stalk position.
What is the bottom stalk position?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
JohnWR,

I think he is referring to the turn signal stalk lighting controls.
1) Lowest position is intermitted "Light Sensor Controlled On/Off"
2) Next click up is "Off/Auto" (this being his reference)
3) Next click up is "Parking Lights"
4) Top position is "Headlights"
Font Bicycle part Electronic device Technology Cable

·
Administrator
8,061 Posts
JohnWR,

I think he is referring to the turn signal stalk lighting controls.
1) Lowest position is intermitted "Light Sensor Controlled On/Off"
2) Next click up is "Off/Auto" (this being his reference)
3) Next click up is "Parking Lights"
4) Top position is "Headlights"
View attachment 119845
I am 3000 miles from my car, do I can't check it, but I am pretty certain that the bottom position is momentary and it toggles the auto lights on and off and always returns to the AUTO position. So there isn't a defined function in that position.

Reactions: MajorTom

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I am 3000 miles from my car, do I can't check it, but I am pretty certain that the bottom position is momentary and it toggles the auto lights on and off and always returns to the AUTO position. So there isn't a defined function in that position.
Yes, you are correct. I often turn the auto lights off, as it can make the DIC and radio easier to read during the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts