Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my Sky last Thursday. It's rained everyday since I've had it. I had to drive it home in the rain and noticed that the instrument panel lights would go on and off even if the head lights were turned on manually and not just using the automatic setting. I contacted the dealer and took it in. They looked into it and showed me a technical bulletin that states that in rainy weather the headlights may come on while the instrument panel (I/P) backlights may not. Then said (contrary to the bulletin) if I wanted the instrument panel lights to come on, I should cover the sensor (located just over the instrument panel and to the right of the instrument panel) with a piece of paper. I'd noticed it before and figured that's what it was, it looks like a small bubble. I'm attaching a copy of the print out the dealership gave me. Just FYI.

Regards,
Brad

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Nice to Know

Things like this are good to know for us non technical people

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I couldn't get a good scan of the technical bulletin, here it is (I'll try to catch any typos before I save the reply):

Automatic Headlamp control
The Sky is equipped with an Automatic Lamp Control system which automatically turns the headlamps and other exterior lamps on at dusk or when necessary. The exterior lamps can also be operated manually. The I/P (Instrument Panel) backlight is not integrated in the headlamp switch. The automatic lamp control system must determine if it's dark enough to turn I/P backlights on.

The Automatic Lamp Control system's light sensor is located on the top of the instrument panel. It is important to avoid placing any objects on or near the sensor, or covering up the sensor.

Important: In rainy weather, etc., the customer may comment that they manually turned on the headlamps; however, the I/P lights did not come on. It is important to note that the I/P backlight will only turn on when indicated by the Automatic Lamp Control's light sensor. This condition is not related to the headlamp switch function, BCM, or I/P function. This is considered a normal condition and no parts should be replaced.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Gotta love the technical repair...just put a piece of paper over the sensor..... :banghead: :nono:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Now I gotta carry a supply of paper??:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
bmcneely0 said:
Important: In rainy weather, etc., the customer may comment that they manually turned on the headlamps; however, the I/P lights did not come on. It is important to note that the I/P backlight will only turn on when indicated by the Automatic Lamp Control's light sensor. This condition is not related to the headlamp switch function, BCM, or I/P function. This is considered a normal condition and no parts should be replaced.
Interesting, I've never heard of auto systems that don't necessarily turn on the IP lights.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cover the dome

...if you make a little dome of plumbers putty (put down wax paper first) you can cap the sensor and the lights come on, radio is brighter too...just remove it and store in the waterfall compartment when not in use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now that's just silly! Good to know that the GM we all love still has a sense of humor while they are trying to stay afloat!
Lightswitch, not connected to the dashlights, not connected to the breaklights......and turn your self around....da, da, da, da

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I have no idea what the BCM is. Sorry. I saw a posting somewhere else that referred to a BCM as the body control module (whatever that is). I guess that and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts