Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sit down and buckle up, it's (short) story time.

My car is fast approaching 73K miles.
It seems carbon build-up is a common thing for higher mileage DI engines.
I grabbed a can of CRC and had my wife be the assistant with keeping the engine at 2K RPM.
My wife was uncomfortable the entire time (she is afraid of any work being done to a car).
After emptying the can, I took over the rest of the revving and whatnot to discover my instrument cluster was displaying NOTHING. My radio went black.
I was ready to post on here asking a million questions about the possible causes.
I checked the fuses (one was loose??), but they were all good.
We took the dog for a walk while I let the engine heat soak the CRC cleaner.
Upon returning, and getting ready to take it for the highway drive portion, I randomly played with the dimming dial, and voila!
It turned out she had messed with the dial while being bored and uncomfortable having to hold the revs at 2k...

After all of the maintenance things I've done to the car, I swear it almost drives like new.
I feel a difference in engine behavior after the cleaning.
The next thing for me is to get the tires aligned and balanced.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I recommend you change your oil after using the CRC cleaner. It should be pretty dirty.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I forget whether you have an NA or turbo model. If the latter, that sort of cleaner is considered a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You'll see a lot of opinions on both sides.
I think that media (walnut shell) blasting is the safest way as it doesn't run chemicals through the turbo unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts