Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in participating in or helping to organize a Route 66 event in 2007?

If you live within driving distance of Route 66, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thank God it's historic Route 66 and not the one we have all come to loathe in the northern Virginia area, quite a fun time spending 90 minutes to go 10 miles.

I have actually driven the route from St Louis to Flagstaff and then drove North to the Grand Canyon, Zion National park and in to Vegas and back to LA (a nice set of side attractions to the route). The cities are pretty well spaced out and you can find an assortment or bizarre "only on Route 66" type attractions but I would offer my ammended route for someone who wanted to see more on the ride and get to drive in some (additional) amazing scenery.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did Route 66 in my 66 Mustang a few years ago, Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. I also did most if it in an RV with my kids many years back, and I would agree that there is A LOT of great Americana within a short drive of Route 66.

Much of the route is gone now, so I would imagine that this would include a bunch of regional excursions around Route 66. I doubt very many people would be free to do the whole ride, but I think a lot of people would like to participate in part of it.

Here is a list of several Route 66 events: www.historic66.com/events

Also, there are several very good historical websites, many books worth of info and pictures on Route 66. This link (www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66oatman.htm) takes you to a page about the western edge of Arizona, and then you can click on "Route 66 East" at the top, and it will take you through each major Route 66 landmark in the state. After you go through all the Arizona landmarks, you can then choose another state and click on the map and do the same thing. In Arizona, most of the Route 66 Riders stop in Williams and then take the train up to the Grand Canyon, a very cool way to do the canyon if you have never been.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Route 66

Hello!
I'm from Norway and planning a road trip next year from DC to LA, in my red SKY!:driving:
Does anybody have any ideas on which road to travel, sights, and other important issues that I need to look at.
I've never driven in the US before and interested in exploring as much as I can along the way. Though I am from Norway I'm not a wealthy young man and need to save money were I can. :thumbs:

Any hints and suggestions is well appreciated folks! :grouphug:

Hope Santa arrives early this Christmas!
:patriot:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hello!
I'm from Norway and planning a road trip next year from DC to LA, in my red SKY!:driving:
Does anybody have any ideas on which road to travel, sights, and other important issues that I need to look at.
I've never driven in the US before and interested in exploring as much as I can along the way. Though I am from Norway I'm not a wealthy young man and need to save money were I can. :thumbs:

Any hints and suggestions is well appreciated folks! :grouphug:

Hope Santa arrives early this Christmas!
:patriot:
Check out Skyline Drive (starts outside of DC in Front Royal, Virginia) and Blue Ridge Parkway (starts where Skyline Drive ends). Will add some miles to your trip probably, but it's well worth it. Awesome mountain scenery - lots of wildlife, waterfalls, hikes, etc. You won't regret it. Only a few places to stay directly on the parkway and some of those can be expensive, but it's fairly easy to jump off and see civilization again within a few minutes if you plan your trip out. Here are links...there are many more. You can probably also find books related to these drives on amazon.com. Bring your camera! This is beautiful country.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org

http://www.milebymile.com/main/Unit...d_States_Virginia_road_map_travel_guides.html

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driving-skyline-drive.htm

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Since I still think we should host the national event in Bloomington IL, which is ON ROUTE 66, and 30 miles from the national ROUTE 66 museum, I'm in!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Go West Young Sky...

Two Summers back I drove out to CA and drove back at the end of the Summer. On the way back I was able to stop off in various State parks, and do many pull offs at Roadside rest areas and do some general hiking.

Til then, my whole life I was one to drive point A to B as straight and fast as possible.

If you have the luxury of that kind of time, to explore and all, it is truly a lifetime experience! All in all, my favorite area is in and around Flagstaff.

So if a Route 66 type event were to come together...well I say let's get it on!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would love to bring up a group of Kappa's from Texas and meet everyone in Amarillo, and head west!!!!
I'm with you Ernest!! I would love to go, just depends on when.:D

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see that the Twin Arrows Trading Post closed. Arizona has been one of the strongest parts of the route, even after the freeways came in, so watching places close is like watching our history fade from view.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Oklahoma Route 66

:cheers:
If I ever get my Redline I would love to hitch up with you’ all as you come through the great state of Oklahoma and drive right down through the city of Tulsa. I hosted the Sunbeam Invasion June 06 with the theme of Route 66. I have a photo rally laid out for the Tulsa area with pictures of historical points on route 66. We have a active Oklahoma route 66 club that has many activities see website: http://www.oklahomaroute66.com

TulsaSky
:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I can assist with the California legs... Last I knew we even had a Route 66 museum up in San Bernardino County...

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can assist with the California legs... Last I knew we even had a Route 66 museum up in San Bernardino County...
And a huge event in San Bernardino, one of the biggest of the Route 66 events, I think it was earlier this month.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
And a huge event in San Bernardino, one of the biggest of the Route 66 events, I think it was earlier this month.
Yep. Sponsored by a local grocery chain that I don't normally shop at, so I didn't see the bigass poster until the day of the event.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Did Rt 66 in my 67 Impala Ragtop

I loved the drive on Rt 66. I started in Canada and made my way over. The best part of it is in the southern states. If I have my Sky by then PLEASE put me on the list

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I did Route 66 in my 66 Mustang a few years ago, Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. I also did most if it in an RV with my kids many years back, and I would agree that there is A LOT of great Americana within a short drive of Route 66.

Much of the route is gone now, so I would imagine that this would include a bunch of regional excursions around Route 66. I doubt very many people would be free to do the whole ride, but I think a lot of people would like to participate in part of it.

Here is a list of several Route 66 events: www.historic66.com/events

Also, there are several very good historical websites, many books worth of info and pictures on Route 66. This link (www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66oatman.htm) takes you to a page about the western edge of Arizona, and then you can click on "Route 66 East" at the top, and it will take you through each major Route 66 landmark in the state. After you go through all the Arizona landmarks, you can then choose another state and click on the map and do the same thing. In Arizona, most of the Route 66 Riders stop in Williams and then take the train up to the Grand Canyon, a very cool way to do the canyon if you have never been.

Did any of you see Oprah on Tuesday, she was there at the Wigman, she walked into the room and turned around and said she could not sleep without a window. She and the rest of her crew went down the road to a Days Inn. It was VERY FUNNY

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Count me in on this one, even if I cant do it all the way....:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I certainly would be interested. The best thing is drivers could meet up and leave off where ever they want - and a core group going from one end to teh other -- That would be epic.

I could help with the very begining of Rt66 -- here in Chi-town...Start off near Millenium Park and ride out from the City and beyond.
As well as a reverse and meet the group coming in and take them to the end.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts