Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a difference in the two roadsters whereas Sernity used to scrape if I did not apporach my drive at an angle, this morning when back out Ididn't angle enough I though and braced myswelf for the :eek: scrape. Well nothing happened. Pulled back in at even l;esser angle, nothing, zip, nada!!
So I thinks to myself, why not, drive straight in, back straight out, and you guessed it, no SCRAPES, did it again, NO SCRAPES:thumbs: Apparently the R/L suspension has raised the front just a fraction enough to alleviate some of the scraping. Could it be they learned something all of the complaints on the scrapes and did a slight mod? Any input from anyone is appreciated.

At a glance it appears the black scrape shield is not as wide but I tend to believe that it is the beefier front suspension to support the weight of the rather large inter-cooler.

In final summation I definitely say that the front end of the R/L feels differently on the R/L. R/L is much improved over base!!!! Will to more test but I believe within reason R/L can handle inclines better.:thumbs:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Today I noticed a difference in the two roadsters whereas Sernity used to scrape if I did not apporach my drive at an angle, this morning when back out Ididn't angle enough I though and braced myswelf for the :eek: scrape. Well nothing happened. Pulled back in at even l;esser angle, nothing, zip, nada!!
So I thinks to myself, why not, drive straight in, back straight out, and you guessed it, no SCRAPES, did it again, NO SCRAPES:thumbs: Apparently the R/L suspension has raised the front just a fraction enough to alleviate some of the scraping. Could it be they learned something all of the complaints on the scrapes and did a slight mod? Any input from anyone is appreciated.

At a glance it appears the black scrape shield is not as wide but I tend to believe that it is the beefier front suspension to support the weight of the rather large inter-cooler.

In final summation I definitely say that the front end of the R/L feels differently on the R/L. R/L is much improved over base!!!! Will to more test but I believe within reason R/L can handle inclines better.:thumbs:

Keep it coming Ernest!

The little differences make that car!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ernest, thats good to know. I have noticed that all (5-6) SKY's at my dealer have the black rubber air dam scraped up from bumps and driveways.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took on my Mother in law's drive, which is worse, and had 0 problems. The more I think about it, it was probably done to protect the intercooler. I also cruised over a dippity do, two dips close together, and zero scraped, didn't even bottom. R/L's are freakin' awesome. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ok, try this. Back straight out of your drive about 60'. Now floor it and tell me what happens.:jester:

·
Registered
276 Posts
The spoiler on my RL is smaller than the one on my base car....or it appears to be, tomorrow I'll measure each one just to be sure. I measured the rear of both cars today and they are of identical height so unless one "sags" in the middle, the fronts should be the same too. The spoiler made the base car appear higher in the rear. It wasn't.

Richard

·
Registered
380 Posts
I took on my Mother in law's drive, which is worse, and had 0 problems. The more I think about it, it was probably done to protect the intercooler. I also cruised over a dippity do, two dips close together, and zero scraped, didn't even bottom. R/L's are freakin' awesome. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ernest please compare the Rl to the Base Sky. Wat2fast is giving me second thoughts. I love my Sky but the RL is due to arrive in November. If you had the do over, would you get the RL? I am more concerned about ride, handling, quality ( that turbo problem) than scraping the front cowl.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no Turbo problem. Period!!!! Having both types, I would go with the R/L, it is a no brainer. Mayhem is a little more refined and tweaked over Serenity, you cannot compare the two, they ae not even in the same league other than that they are both Saturns. Ask anyone that has spent any amount of time in a base SKY and some seat time in a R/L, they wiill adamently agree, this is a very high breed of performance vehicle, it comes straight from the factory in predator mode.

I was cruisin' last night came upon a Mustang, small V8 variety, he took off on me, didn't know he was wanting to race, so he got out on me by a few lengths, I stomped Mayhem and was steadily gaining on him, if he hadn't shut off to turn, I would have caught him, and maybe passed him:D

BTW, I will be selling Serenity in a couple of months, good car, I love her, but she doesn't have the refinement and power of Mayhem!!!!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ernest,

I'm sure people who've decided to buy the RLs and GXPs (to drive enthusiastically... not to store for some perceived "collectors value") won't be sorry. Thanks for the comparisons... they are as I expected.

The performance of the turbo in these cars truly puts the "Sport" in these roadsters. They are a great bargain for the money and the amazing looks just add to our egos.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is no Turbo problem. Period!!!! Having both types, I would go with the R/L, it is a no brainer. Mayhem is a little more refined and tweaked over Serenity, you cannot compare the two, they ae not even in the same league other than that they are both Saturns. Ask anyone that has spent any amount of time in a base SKY and some seat time in a R/L, they wiill adamently agree, this is a very high breed of performance vehicle, it comes straight from the factory in predator mode.

I was cruisin' last night came upon a Mustang, small V8 variety, he took off on me, didn't know he was wanting to race, so he got out on me by a few lengths, I stomped Mayhem and was steadily gaining on him, if he hadn't shut off to turn, I would have caught him, and maybe passed him:D

BTW, I will be selling Serenity in a couple of months, good car, I love her, but she doesn't have the refinement and power of Mayhem!!!!!!

This car will impress all....:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
276 Posts
The spoiler on my RL is smaller than the one on my base car....or it appears to be, tomorrow I'll measure each one just to be sure. I measured the rear of both cars today and they are of identical height so unless one "sags" in the middle, the fronts should be the same too. The spoiler made the base car appear higher in the rear. It wasn't.

Richard
I measured the spoilers today. Both are identical. The clearance between the ground and the spoiler on both cars is the same. Zero difference. Anyone bottoming out the RL spoiler less than the base is probably due to their learning how to drive the car and not due to any mechanical difference. Unless the stiffer suspension in the RL doesn't let the car bounce as much if you go up your driveway at 40mph !!

Richard

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Hi Ernest,

I thought I read that you had the performance suspension put on Serenity. Maybe this is why Serenity scapes and Mayhem does'nt? :confused:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ernest,

I thought I read that you had the performance suspension put on Serenity. Maybe this is why Serenity scapes and Mayhem does'nt? :confused:
No it isn't the reason, because previous threads on this forum this scraping as been discussed in great lengths.:thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Ernest measure the distance between the pavement and the black airdam after the front bumper on both of the Skys. Are they the same? I think that the distance has increased about one-half inch....Skip...That is why no scrap.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ernest measure the distance between the pavement and the black airdam after the front bumper on both of the Skys. Are they the same? I think that the distance has increased about one-half inch....Skip...That is why no scrap.:lol: :lol:
The distance is Exactly the same on both my Sky's. Slightly over 3 inches. You can tightly fit four fingers (not the thumb) of an outstretched hand between the spoiler and the ground.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
The distance is Exactly the same on both my Sky's. Slightly over 3 inches. You can tightly fit four fingers (not the thumb) of an outstretched hand between the spoiler and the ground.
I guess that means I am going to have to hit a larger possom and treerat to get food on the table....Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe they are the same, but I know what I know, it was just an observation, not a scientific fact:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts