Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the part number for my 2008 Sky's interior rearview mirror? I just want to replace it, not change to a different type of mirror. See picture. The top edge of the mirror is corroded.

I searched here, but I was unable to figure it out.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
You also stated u wish to replace it with an identical mirror, ergo, EBAY. No part number is needed. A junked Sky with the mirror is waiting for your purchase.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for those part numbers there Dave. With our parts list of available items slowly drying up pretty much everywhere it seems
we must be thankful when we do find it out there in internet land for purchase.

Part no longer available: A quick look revels no pricing information. Obviously. However our mirror does fit several other
GM models listed on the site. Before the internet buying with ease, from E-Bay, Amazon, wholesalegmpartsonline or
Bob's Service for Everything you ever wanted for your car: Sure we can get that for you "I know a guy"... lol you had to go get it yourself.

As in to the salvage yard. Buyer beware. You get what you pay for & from whom. Never trust Shady Bob's service... sort of like
Fast Eddie the Service Tech... at your own risk.

Finding it locally might be an option for you, hopefully a short enough trip too.
One day with no shipping charges added on to your bottom line price.
Question here is : Is it plug and play? Same attachment points? Should be but... AND.. then there is the cost.

I always get this funny laugh/image in my mind when I think about the rear view mirror on our car, or any car for that matter.
This comes from one of the greatest one liner adlibs of all time movie wise and from an underrated actor back in the day.
Gumball Rally mid 70's movie with Michael Sarrazin & Raul Julia. Upon the start of this rally leaving from a NY warehouse/garage
Raul ( Franco ) in a Ferrari no less, begins this with: "And now my friend, the first rule of Italian driving ( snatching the rear view
mirror off the car, flipping it causally over the back of the car ) what's behind me is not important!"
There you have it...Franco approved.

https://youtu.be/fDaONrHK1f8

Then the roar through NYC at 6am from a 427 Cobra & V-12 Ferrari Daytona going full tilt.
" It's gonna be a nice day."

https://youtu.be/XTT1_JZp2Sg

* My Back has been sore lately, so no driving for me. Chainsaw activities, and weed eater operations have taken their toll it seems.
However about to do 2-3 short Go-Pro runs next up. Should be posting 4-5 new videos to You-Tube soon IF my back loosens
up. Stay tuned. Street level cam plus backwards facing cam added to the collection soon, Kappa fans.

Hope you fix this cheap and quick. Cosmetic in nature but then again every owner has their standards for their ride. It's not
right to me until it is fixed. My car, my money, my standards.

LAC

·
4,976 Posts
Heard the mirror from a Cobalt will work with same wiring and mount. Is that true? Any other cars use the same?
Quite a few are compatible, but not many have the lights. I didn't think the Cobalt did, although one trim level of the HHR did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the subject of mirrors, mine constantly tilts down whenever I hit a rough patch of road. I tried getting it replaced under warranty and they denied it citing that it was an optional item or some similar wording on the paperwork. I called the warranty company and asked them "What do you mean a rearview mirror is optional??!!" LoL The person on the phone was a bit puzzled also as to that line of thinking. LoL One day I'll go ahead and get it replaced, but for now I just have to keep adjusting.

·
Super Moderator
11,042 Posts
On the subject of mirrors, mine constantly tilts down whenever I hit a rough patch of road. I tried getting it replaced under warranty and they denied it citing that it was an optional item or some similar wording on the paperwork. I called the warranty company and asked them "What do you mean a rearview mirror is optional??!!" LoL The person on the phone was a bit puzzled also as to that line of thinking. LoL One day I'll go ahead and get it replaced, but for now I just have to keep adjusting.
Mine does the same thing. My first Sky that I had in 2006 did it too. Don't know if its a 2007 model year thing or not but I just live with it.

·
4,976 Posts
Mine does the same thing. My first Sky that I had in 2006 did it too. Don't know if its a 2007 model year thing or not but I just live with it.
Most new mirrors do it, or at least most of the ones I am around do. And no, its not one of GM's plots to make us miserable.

New mirrors ore heavy, and the friction ball isn't strong enough to keep them in place and still be free enough to adjust.

If you want your mirror to be more stable, and don't want to glue it, you could replace it with a lighter one. Of course you would lose the map/interior lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Dave
Do you know which one of these is for the onstar mirror? I need to replace mine at some point too.
Those were for the 2008 mirror and I'm pretty sure Onstar was on all of the mirrors by then. Click in the link in my message and go from there, or google each of the part numbers. (EDIT: I double checked those partnumbers and they indicated that Onstar was a part of the mirrors. Just a FWIW.)

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
11,042 Posts
Most new mirrors do it, or at least most of the ones I am around do. And no, its not one of GM's plots to make us miserable.

New mirrors ore heavy, and the friction ball isn't strong enough to keep them in place and still be free enough to adjust.

If you want your mirror to be more stable, and don't want to glue it, you could replace it with a lighter one. Of course you would lose the map/interior lights.
My Grand Prix didn't do it. My 2004 GMC Sierra doesn't do it. Both autodimming and my Truck has OnStar buttons on it. Fiance's Dodge Magnum didn't do it. The 2013 Veloster turbo she has doesn't do it. No car I have ever owned has done it. Only my two Skys. Maybe its the lights...but I wouldn't say most mirrors do it.

·
4,976 Posts
My Grand Prix didn't do it. My 2004 GMC Sierra doesn't do it. Both autodimming and my Truck has OnStar buttons on it. Fiance's Dodge Magnum didn't do it. The 2013 Veloster turbo she has doesn't do it. No car I have ever owned has done it. Only my two Skys. Maybe its the lights...but I wouldn't say most mirrors do it.
Either you have been very lucky (congratulations) or we have not. I managed our "fleet operations" with a combined 50 or so vehicles over 5 years. Of them only a handful never had "loose mirror" in the condition report sometime in their lives.

According to one of my OEM contacts, the mirror spec walks a fine line between too tight and too loose. Too loose and they move on their own. Too tight and they are prone to getting ripped off of the windscreen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts