Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, new to the forum but long-time lurker. I got bit by the roadster bug and looking at sky's online and in person. Been looking at almost all car websites and I have not been able to see a picture of the inside of the top.

I'm working on my budget for mods/restoration/maintenance items and along with getting an aftermarket top installed (not my first, or second ragtop) I'm also looking at replacing the headliner. But I dont know if the kappa's have a traditional headliner covering the roof bar or not.

So, can someone please post a picture or two of the inside of the top from inside the cabin?

Many thanks!

TS

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am just curious, but why do you expect to have to replace the headliner? And, why do you want an aftermarket top?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I drove a couple of european ragtops, and found that, despite pathological care, the top became (very) permeable around year 6 of ownership. I figure that being 12 years old already, and assuming the previous owner(s) didnt take proper care, in my mind it needs a top replacement.

As I mentioned before, I don't know if the cars have a headliner or what it looks like. The only local kappa for sale is in abhorrent condition (missing tons of interior trim pieces) so cant judge if it did have one or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as an aftermarket top, I made a couple of calls from some large dealers and none stock it, one said it is discontinued and cant be ordered anymore. Prepare for the worst, expect the best kind of thing...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I don't have - and couldn't find - an inside pic, but the headliner is an additional layer (or three) of soundproofing. The inner frame of the roof (pic below) is visible, but the hoops are not, covered from view by the headliner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have - and couldn't find - an inside pic, but the headliner is an additional layer (or three) of soundproofing. The inner frame of the roof (pic below) is visible, but the hoops are not, covered from view by the headliner.

Ah, so the crossbeam is supposed to be exposed then. Thanks, appreciate the picture!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an aside comment, I was a bit shocked to see how heavy is that steering. Felt wonderful, I miss old-fashioned hydraulic steering systems.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the version with sound dampener? Or is that something that is indistinguishable from one without?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Just read that the ‘premium acoustic headliner‘ was an option on the ‘06 Sol... but came standard on all Sky‘s.

Can someone confirm this?

All of the interior roofs that I’ve seen have all looked like the pics above and have no idea of what a non-acoustic liner looks like...

·
Super Moderator
6,188 Posts
Just read that the ‘premium acoustic headliner‘ was an option on the ‘06 Sol... but came standard on all Sky‘s.

Can someone confirm this?

All of the interior roofs that I’ve seen have all looked like the pics above and have no idea of what a non-acoustic liner looks like...
Yes. Standard on all Skys.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just read that the ‘premium acoustic headliner‘ was an option on the ‘06 Sol...
Yes, it was an option on early base (N.A.) Sol's, but came standard with GXPs. Then I think it came standard on all cars later on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much man, appreciate the pictures. Turns out the kappa locally for sale is missing the headliner.
If you live near Houston, I’d be glad to show you what a “near new” garage kept 2008 Redline looks like. Pictures are great when the originals are no longer available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you live near Houston, I’d be glad to show you what a “near new” garage kept 2008 Redline looks like. Pictures are great when the originals are no longer available.
Appreciate the offer, its about an 8 hr drive each way. Plus, you may end up without a Sky to show off (cus I'd do everything to buy it from you).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate the offer, its about an 8 hr drive each way. Plus, you may end up without a Sky to show off (cus I'd do everything to buy it from you).
Too bad, You’ll also miss out on that original new car smell. Now thats pretty hard to replicate.

good luck and get ‘er done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts