Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Am I the only one who finds it kind of creepie that MM logs on every day and reads every word but no longer writes any words? I mean, if he is out he should just go find a new hobby. If he is in, then why not?
I don't find it creepy. For that matter, who cares whether he posts or not. There are a lot of users who just read and don't contribute.

If Mike doesn't wish to contribute any longer, so be it.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Am I the only one who finds it kind of creepie that MM logs on every day and reads every word but no longer writes any words? I mean, if he is out he should just go find a new hobby. If he is in, then why not?
SHHH! Don't poke the bear, Rob!

Yogi

·
Super Moderator
11,228 Posts
I don't find it creepy. For that matter, who cares whether he posts or not. There are a lot of users who just read and don't contribute.
^ This.

He reads but doesn't feel like posting. Not like he is the first (nor will he be the last) to do so. We always have had "lurkers" that just come in, read, and never post.

Old and new lurkers alike, we welcome them all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I find the term lurker creepy in itself. The word is negative, it used to mean someone laying in wait to ambush or strike, but today it is given to someone reading message boards, forums, etc without participating. Are they waiting in ambush or just interested in what is being said but choosing not to participate because of a variety of reasons. Lurk, skulk, creep, prowl, slink, sneak, etc. You get the picture. Why not a term like readers, or viewers? No negativity. Not that this site can change the term that has been chosen to describe viewers who wish not to participate. Just saying. :)

·
7,022 Posts
I find the term lurker creepy in itself. The word is negative, it used to mean someone laying in wait to ambush or strike, but today it is given to someone reading message boards, forums, etc without participating. Are they waiting in ambush or just interested in what is being said but choosing not to participate because of a variety of reasons. Lurk, skulk, creep, prowl, slink, sneak, etc. You get the picture. Why not a term like readers, or viewers? No negativity. Not that this site can change the term that has been chosen to describe viewers who wish not to participate. Just saying. :)
:wtf: I call most of them vultures. They are the first to pounce on a good for sale deal leaving the regular contributing member in the dust....
Keep your eyes out for them when a deal comes up, they usually have between 2 - 20 predator post while continuing roaring high around the SkyRoadster forum. Don't let the poop hit you on your head.. :jm2c:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thanks for splitting this discussion out of the "Welcome" thread, Robo!

Yogi

·
Super Moderator
11,228 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thanks for splitting this discussion out of the "Welcome" thread, Robo!

Yogi
Just noticed:
Last edited by Bogie; Yesterday at 09:03 AM. Reason: Thread moved to General Off Topic
Thanks Bogie! Sorry for the oversight!

Yogi

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Reedred and Bogie handled this one...and I thank them as well.

Sometimes I forget I have other options than deleting posts. LOL
Thank you too, Reedred!

Yogi

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Rob the Elder said:
I find it creepier that someone is keeping tabs on it.
2 Stalkers don't make a right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
:wtf: I call most of them vultures. They are the first to pounce on a good for sale deal leaving the regular contributing member in the dust....
Keep your eyes out for them when a deal comes up, they usually have between 2 - 20 predator post while continuing roaring high around the SkyRoadster forum. Don't let the poop hit you on your head.. :jm2c:
I get it when one is selling/buying something, it happens all the time on eBay, last minute shoppers bidding the last minute and scooping it up. Some people have been burned this way and Marv you can call them vultures, but the broad brush is that most people don't do that, they browse the forums not bother joining but seeking info, heck I do, I don't creep, skulk, stalk, or whatever, I just read. This site can turn people to do just that! :cool:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
The "online" list in Skyroadster is a courtesy showing who is logged in. The courtesy is from the logged in member to the rest of the community, so it really should not be taken to suggest anything other than what it is. Users letting other users know they are active.

Of course, everyone is free to read into the courtesy whatever one wishes to read. Whatever floats your boat or stirs your pot.

The reason I call it a courtesy is because it can easily be turned off or avoided. You can turn it off in your profile. You can avoid it by simply browsing without logging in.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The "online" list in Skyroadster is a courtesy showing who is logged in. The courtesy is from the logged in member to the rest of the community, so it really should not be taken to suggest anything other than what it is. Users letting other users know they are active.

Of course, everyone is free to read into the courtesy whatever one wishes to read. Whatever floats your boat or stirs your pot.

The reason I call it a courtesy is because it can easily be turned off or avoided. You can turn it off in your profile. You can avoid it by simply browsing without logging in.
OR - You could do like me and have 12 to 15 tabs open in Firefox (one being SkyRoadster.com, of course) and skip around between the many tabs during the day. (I have a short attention span)

Yogi

·
Registered
365 Posts
I find it creepier that someone is keeping tabs on it.
2 Stalkers don't make a right.
But 3 lefts make a right..:jester:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts