Saturn Sky Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
2012 Chevrolet Skyvette

The majority of them aren't running cheap vette wheels,
they're running rare Work, HRE, CCW that start at $500 a wheel.
Say what? :crazy:
To most people there's nothing "cheap" about Corvettes. :glol:
Must have forgot... tuner "car enthusiasts" hate Vettes.

So IF one is lucky enough to find a wheel in "like new" condition
can expect to shell out some dough
and that's for quality...
not bling.

:boxing: NMMNG

+4 pics from the Texas State History Museum in Austin - temporary exhibit of NASA's next generation spacecraft the day before 2011 Nationals - Sunday June 19th.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Say what? :crazy:
To most people there's nothing "cheap" about Corvettes. :glol:
Must have forgot... tuner "car enthusiasts" hate Vettes.

So IF one is lucky enough to find a wheel in "like new" condition
can expect to shell out some dough
and that's for quality...
not bling.

:boxing: NMMNG

:cheers: Thanks!

Old does not = cheap.
I happen to love Corvettes and I like the wheels you have. However they fit like crap on your car and anyone with any kind of sense can see that.

I guess I'm "lucky" because I found 4 wheels for only $500. So much for them being expensive and hard to find. :rolleyes:

17x9.5" CORVETTE WHEELS C4:eBay Motors (item 330358940624 end time Sep-16-09 16:01:58 PDT)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I guess I'm "lucky" because I found 4 wheels for only $500.
So much for them being expensive and hard to find.
:nono:

To be compared to current market new wheels, the trick is locating them in primo condition. There is no way to tell what shape those are in as there is only one photo and no closeups. Also, they are actually 4 rear wheels (17x9.5) thrown together and being sold as an "original set".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You really need to stop wasting your time arguing with bunit as his opinion is the only valid one, and anyone who disagrees with him is obviously an idiot. :rolleyes:

This applies not only to this topic, but all others as well... :banghead:

·
Banned
563 Posts
It could be a chassis tuning specification. For example on road track prepped cars, to achieve neutral handling. How? Well if you put a "proper" sized tire on a rim, the shoulder of the tire forms a relatively squared corner. This can yield maximum grip numbers, but can also make the traction limit less predictable, and be more prone to snap loss of traction.

However, if you use a slightly narrow tire on a rim, it rounds off the shoulder. By doing this, you can get a much more predictable break away at the limit of traction. Also, with changes in suspension geometry you can often get this more forgiving setup without losing any maximum lateral acceleration while cornering.

If you don't believe me, go talk to the Japanese track attack race teams where they essentially get 1 lap to go around it as quickly as possible. I believe even Boss and Cusco, famous modifiers of WRX's and Evo's even does this on some of their cars. They even do this on some of the cars in the Toyo race league where a bunch of almost stock cars ranging from BMW 3s, to Acura TSXs, etc race against each other on Toyo street legal rubber.

***FORGOT TO ADD***

Also, by having this incorrect offset on your car, you have now essentially increased your track, without similarly widening the track for your hub. As a result, your wheel bearings are gonna take a beating. Having your offset off by an inch is PLENTY enough to put unusually high loads on your wheel bearings even under normal straight line driving.

It's all part of the ghetto low-rider life. I kid ;)

So they get wide wheels and put thin tires on them?
Seems like they are just asking for trouble .......
or too cheap to put real meat on their rims.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
You really need to stop wasting your time arguing with bunit as his opinion is the only valid one, and anyone who disagrees with him is obviously an idiot. :rolleyes:

So you think those wheels look good like that?

Like I said, post your pics on a forum thats not afraid to bite their tongue (or fingers in this case) and see what kind of responses you get. Mine will seem quite tame compared to theirs.

BTW, I wasn't comparing old wheels to new ones. Some of the brands I mentioned earlier will easily go for $1500+ used.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,565 Posts
In regard to the tires protruding from the side... The stock set up does so, slightly... and enough that rocks and such get thrown against the rocker panel, creating chips. This set up with the 'Vette rims most certainly will increase the amount picked up and thrown back.

My opinion on most vehicle mods, is that as long as the owner enjoys it... I will as well. Even if it is not my taste... so be it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

GEE !!!!!!!!!! Ya think? :glol: :agree::agree: :glol:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
This set up with the 'Vette rims most certainly will increase the amount picked up and thrown back.
That appears to be the case.

May have to go with wider
and more retro mudflaps
up on the front at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
looks good i was accuallly looking at that when i was at work n a vette was there. the thing about the pic on the copper car is that those tires are not as wide as the rim. thats why they look like they sit closer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So you think those wheels look good like that?

Like I said, post your pics on a forum thats not afraid to bite their tongue (or fingers in this case) and see what kind of responses you get. Mine will seem quite tame compared to theirs.
I assume you have a forum in mind? How about posting it up? I'm sure your probably right since there will be about 500 of them just like you!:eek:

Dude you don't know everything... :nono: The wheels don't look as bad as you say. And the pic of the Mudstain with the ghetto rims, that tells me what I need to know about you. :eek:
Those tires were way to small for those rims. Looks like ****!
I have met you and kicked your ass in the 1/8 mile, with a slower car I might add. :lol: I'm not that impressed.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I assume you have a forum in mind? How about posting it up? I'm sure your probably right since there will be about 500 of them just like you!:eek:

Dude you don't know everything... :nono: The wheels don't look as bad as you say. And the pic of the Mudstain with the ghetto rims, that tells me what I need to know about you. :eek:
Those tires were way to small for those rims. Looks like ****!
I have met you and kicked your ass in the 1/8 mile, with a slower car I might add. :lol: I'm not that impressed.
I actually already posted the pictures on another forum. Their responses were much worse than mine. So yes the wheels do look as bad as I think. What does the Mustang have to do anything? Of course it looks like crap, thats why I posted it.

On the one run we did race you beat me. However I had the quickest kappa pass of the day when I had a good run. Also at that time I was running on GM Roadsters crappy tune. My car is quite a bit quicker with the new tune.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I actually already posted the pictures on another forum. Their responses were much worse than mine. So yes the wheels do look as bad as I think. What does the Mustang have to do anything? Of course it looks like crap, thats why I posted it.

On the one run we did race you beat me. However I had the quickest kappa pass of the day when I had a good run. Also at that time I was running on GM Roadsters crappy tune. My car is quite a bit quicker with the new tune.
Everyone has different taste... I don't think it looks that bad, four fronts would probably look better. There not that bad though... they look ok.

Of course if you post up a 40's street rod on a ricer forum and a 99 honda on a street rod forum of course you will get those responses. Were all different that is what makes the world go around.

As far as the race I believe it was twice and I spanked you both times! You have a faster car no doubt... I'm bone stock but the faster car doesn't always win! :agree:

I'm going for tune on the car in very near future and nothing else then we can run again :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
Everyone has different taste... I don't think it looks that bad, four fronts would probably look better. There not that bad though... they look ok.

Of course if you post up a 40's street rod on a ricer forum and a 99 honda on a street rod forum of course you will get those responses. Were all different that is what makes the world go around.

As far as the race I believe it was twice and I spanked you both times! You have a faster car no doubt... I'm bone stock but the faster car doesn't always win! :agree:

I'm going for tune on the car in very near future and nothing else then we can run again :D
I posted on a forum that likes cars of all kinds. Poor fitting wheels are disliked in almost every car scene.

You're an auto right? You'll need more then a tune. :D My buddy with an auto Solstice GXP has intake, IC pipes, FMIC, Catless DP, exhaust, meth injection, and a dyno tune and he still couldn't pull me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I posted on a forum that likes cars of all kinds. Poor fitting wheels are disliked in almost every car scene.

You're an auto right? You'll need more then a tune. :D My buddy with an auto Solstice GXP has intake, IC pipes, FMIC, Catless DP, exhaust, meth injection, and a dyno tune and he still couldn't pull me.
Better get some sticky tires then...

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
:agree: But in this case, and only this case, I have to agree with him. I like the rims but they protrude too far past the body (top of the fender well) and remind me of some ghetto-gangsta mobile. If you could tuck them under a bit more they really would look great... a "JV" maybe.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Guess people tend to forget the souped up muscle cars of the 60's.
Wide rear drive wheels sticking out 2-3 inches was considered normal back then.

Hmmm..."gangsta"...not.

Every generation is different... I would probably go with four fronts all the way around but it doesn't look that bad. I like it.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts