Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What else does GM use the rear in that will be coming in the redline? What kind of power can it handle w/o crapping? I know GM shafted the f-bodies with the 10bolt pos you could break with a stock car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
azzhauler said:
What else does GM use the rear in that will be coming in the redline? What kind of power can it handle w/o crapping? I know GM shafted the f-bodies with the 10bolt pos you could break with a stock car.
Rear? Crapping? Shafted? F-bodies? And worst of all - IRS?

I thought those types of obscenities were not allowed on this forum!

·
Registered
991 Posts
The rear end is "borrowed" from the CTS Cadalac and I do not see any problems with it. Besides if you use the car as intended, there shoul not be a problem and it is under warrenty for 3 years, unless you modify it. If you want it to go like a corvette, then buy ($80,000) corvette:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the fun in not messing with stuff and getting your paws on things?:D That engine is just begging to make more power, GM even says so. But you always gotta look out for the weakest link.

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
BlueSkyRL said:
The rear end is "borrowed" from the CTS Cadalac and I do not see any problems with it. Besides if you use the car as intended, there shoul not be a problem and it is under warrenty for 3 years, unless you modify it. If you want it to go like a corvette, then buy ($80,000) corvette:)
Why when I can go like an $80,000 Corvette spending about half that and doing it in a car that no one would expect it from?

I have a feeling though that the rear end is beefy enough for most of what we throw at it. Keep an eye out for issues with the Mallett Cars if you're worried about it.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The rear differential is shared with the CTS and that's it. Besides that the rest of the rear suspension was pretty much built for this car. It's seen LS2's, LS7's, 285HP Hahn's kits, 260HP GXP motor power, etc. I'm pretty sure this car is rock solid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good stuff to hear.:D The fewer parts to replace, the happier my wallet will be. :willy:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Has anyone broken a rear end on a Kappa yet, that would be a good indication?

My rear end went out at 35,000 miles on my Camaro and it's already time for another rebuild at 45,000 miles. Anybody know of a nice 12 bolt or 9" a could throw in there?
:brentil:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
bradyb said:
Has anyone broken a rear end on a Kappa yet, that would be a good indication?

My rear end went out at 35,000 miles on my Camaro and it's already time for another rebuild at 45,000 miles. Anybody know of a nice 12 bolt or 9" a could throw in there?
:brentil:
Only broken rears I know of were resulted from rear diff leaking and the owner not paying attention to puddles of fluid under their car. I haven't heard of any Turbo or V8 Kappas having diff issues.

·
Registered
149 Posts
brentil said:
Only broken rears I know of were resulted from rear diff leaking and the owner not paying attention to puddles of fluid under their car. I haven't heard of any Turbo or V8 Kappas having diff issues.
That's not exactly true. We have had a few ring gear sets wrecked without knowing exactly why. GM has (without apparent rhyme or reason) instructed dealers to replace some Solstice carriers when they have had repeated leak issues while other owners don't get a replacement. It seems like GM is trying to come to grips with the problem, but the issue has been around for a long time. In fact it was a problem in the Caddy before the Solstice was introduced. You have to wonder what they were thinking? No one would notice?
What we know now is that the same carrier is in use in at least two different platforms and perhaps more. (depending on which cars Caddy uses this same carrier on) It will become an epidemic (to some owners it already is) within these platforms if GM does not solve the problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wonder if a KAAZ rear would fit. Made for the GTO which shares many suspension parts with the previous iteration of Caddie - the much unloved Catera. Overkill for a stock-powered car, tho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rather liked the caddy that zigs. I don't know why my mother had to trade it in for a caravan... she doesn't have little kids to drive around anymore.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I e-mail the company that makes the Diff, the e-mail that came back said 940lb to 1040lb torque ....seal9:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts