Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if it was still possible to buy a replacement top? Mine is popping threads (previous owner didn't take care of her like i do). I wouldn't even know where to go to get it replaced. unfortunately, i am not a person who is handy. I just love my baby.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if it was still possible to buy a replacement top? Mine is popping threads (previous owner didn't take care of her like i do). I wouldn't even know where to go to get it replaced. unfortunately, i am not a person who is handy. I just love my baby.
On eBay there have been a few used ones for sale and from time to time I’ve seen a new black one going for around $1000.00. A friend that has a Solstice was quoted $1800.00 for a top replacement installed.
From time to time on this site, there are
tops for sale too. Use the Search Community feature to search.....

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I purchased 19120117 part #2 from gmpartsdirect about two years ago. Here is the URL:

It had to be installed by an interior shop. I recall installation was about 400$.

Part#1 - the complete assembly - used to be available at parts.com.

But that's no longer the case. It wasn't available when I purchased mine.

The assembly is easy enough to install that you could do it yourself.

Eh. I have one of the Skys where the windows don't automatically go down - so on the passenger side - when I close the door the window presses against the top - instead of fitting into the window slot.

Getting a new top didn't change that. And it didn't make the buttresses any less rippled.

But it did help make the car look like new. I love my car and it was a good investment.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Where is the top popping threads?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I purchased 19120117 part #2 from gmpartsdirect about two years ago. Here is the URL:

It had to be installed by an interior shop. I recall installation was about 400$.

Part#1 - the complete assembly - used to be available at parts.com.

But that's no longer the case. It wasn't available when I purchased mine.

The assembly is easy enough to install that you could do it yourself.

Eh. I have one of the Skys where the windows don't automatically go down - so on the passenger side - when I close the door the window presses against the top - instead of fitting into the window slot.

Getting a new top didn't change that. And it didn't make the buttresses any less rippled.

But it did help make the car look like new. I love my car and it was a good investment.
None of the windows on any of the Kappas go down automatically when the doors are opened and if your window is contacting the top you need to either adjust your window or your top depending where the window/top contact is.

·
Registered
748 Posts
None of the windows on any of the Kappas go down automatically when the doors are opened......
I saw that comment and wondered myself.

GM did something really smart on the C5 Corvette that they should have also done on the Sky and Solstice.

When you open either door, the door glass quickly drops less than an inch. When you close the door, the door glass quickly goes back up for a perfect seal. When you open the rear tonneau cover that the top is stored inside, both door glass go fully down and stay down until you do something about it. That assures the top does not get damaged from the glass, and gets the glass out of your way. That was done 1998-2004, years before the Sky/Solstice. Apparently, the two divisions were not working well together. All that was needed was a simple software enhancement, no direct material or labor involved.

I wonder if such a feature could still be programmed into a Kappa, at least the slight window-drop feature. The full-down window feature would require a sensing switch of some sort.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wonder if such a feature could still be programmed into a Kappa, at least the slight window-drop feature. The full-down window feature would require a sensing switch of some sort.
Some years ago I asked that very question of a company that specializes in programming this function into BCMs. I was told at the time that it can not be done with our cars because the Solstice and Sky BCMs are too "primitive".

Realistically if the top and the windows are properly set up, this function really isn't required.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
....GM did something really smart on the C5 Corvette that they should have also done on the Sky and Solstice.
If you add enough of the features from a $40k car to a $24k car you will have an second $40k car.

The window control in the Kappa is directly by the switch, and does not work through the BCM, so there is no programming possible.

You could, of course, create a control box that would react to the door latch switch to pulse a down-window relay to lower the window before the door is opened, and then raise it when the door is closed.

The driver's window has an express-down feature that has been added to the passenger's window, I believe by @TomatoSoup and maybe others. Aftermarket controls are available for that purpose as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good upholstery shop can stitch those back up for you....I did some spot's on mine myself using a curved needle and some triple duty upholstery thread and a pair of needle nose pliers to direct / push the needle through the old stitch holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts