Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
My buddy has CAI on his Jetta GLI, he claims a 5-10 HP boost.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eldeeko said:
Even more so with a turbo. An intercooler with CAI would be best. Check out this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler
I think I should rephrase my question, if I get a Redline Sky would it make sense to add a Cold Air Intake device, since it is already Turbo Charged.

My thinking is that it wouldn't because:

a) Since it is a forced air induction system it would not help the airflow rate.

b) Since with the Turbo, the air gets heated during the turbo process and then cooled via the intercooler, the CAI would not be effective in reducing the temprature.

However, I am not enough of a gearhead to be sure that my thinking is correct.

·
Registered
304 Posts
richmcc said:
I think I should rephrase my question, if I get a Redline Sky would it make sense to add a Cold Air Intake device, since it is already Turbo Charged.

a) Since it is a forced air induction system it would not help the airflow rate.

b) Since with the Turbo, the air gets heated during the turbo process and then cooled via the intercooler, the CAI would not be effective in reducing the temprature.

A) already having an air-air intercooler that acts as a cold air intake I doubt you would see much additional benefit drawing actual cold air
B) the intercooler is on the front side, cooling the intake air prior to charge - if teh description of warm air being drawn through heat exchanger is correct. You don't draw air unless it is being sucked in, the side of the system between turbo and intake manifold is under pressure and the air here would be forced through.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Once you go forced induction you have to worry about the heat of your intake charge. I'm not sure about an Air to Air IC (our supercharged cars run an water to air IC below the blower) but with a water to air IC the hotter the air coming in the greater the difference between intake temperature and the temp of the air coming out of the IC. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that it will be colder air than if the intake temperature was colder to begin with, just that the IC will remove more heat from hotter intake air.

With us it is imparitive to run a CAI as it helps even when Intercooled. I'd assume it would be no different in a turbo application. From what I've seen, even with an IC, colder air in, colder air out and less likely to see knock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing that may cause concern with an aftermarket intake is the MAF sensor readings. The computer may sense a difference in turbulence in air flow. This may or may not pose a problem by throwing off the factory settings. We will have to wait and see. With an ECU tune, you will get the best results, allowing the computer to add more fuel and utilize the extra air being sucked in. For even better results, add an aftermarket exhaust to allow that extra air being sucked in less resistance when escaping. Another issue is if the blow off valve is recirculated to the intake, but that's a whole other issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
It could but it also depends on the MAF they are using for this. Usually you have a screen in front of the MAF to straighten out airflow. Even with this MAF removed you should be okay but this isn't always the case.

Again, going back to what I know in 97-98 if you removed the screen from the Throttle Body of the Grand Prix (MAF was in the Throttle Body) you could get idling issues. 99+ no such problem. When we swap out stock MAFs for LQ4 MAFs (Corvette/truck MAF) we can remove the screen and not have any problems even though we've moved the MAF much closer to the air filter. Trial and error. Though I'm guessing if GM could do it with a CAI that the aftermarket ones shouldn't be too different or cause issues. Never know until you try though. Again, just my experiance with a COMPLETELY different GM car. LOL

·
Registered
802 Posts
richmcc said:
It's my guess that it will already have a CAI (of some type) as standard equipment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The CAI is pointless with or without the turbo. Tests on the base engine have shown 2-3 Hp gain plus a lot of hissing noises. Don't waste your money unless and until GM provides reliable dyno figures and they exceed 10 HP gain (I
don't think they ever will).

·
Registered
90 Posts
UUGHHH... My head hurts. (I hope eldeeko's right.) Anyway old school is, the shortest path equals least amount of resistance. This law applys to many things including air.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
kingarthur said:
The CAI is pointless with or without the turbo. Tests on the base engine have shown 2-3 Hp gain plus a lot of hissing noises. Don't waste your money unless and until GM provides reliable dyno figures and they exceed 10 HP gain (I
don't think they ever will).
Generally speaking you're right. Alone a CAI is pretty minor of an upgrade. However, it is one of the things that sets foundation for other mods later on. Usually, when combined with other modifications, it produces a larger gain than on it's own.

For instance, a CAI alone my give you 3 hp gain. An exhaust may give you a 10 hp gain...but together they may produce 15 hp instead of the expected 13. The more air you can get out, the more air you can get in...but if you can move a ton of air out but are strying to suck it through swizzle stick you can't move much. Together they work better than on their own.

I'll admit $300 is a little steep (until this year no one made a fenderwell intake for the Grand Prix so many of us made them out of 3" sewer pipe from Home Depot for $20...so $300 is a lot) especially considering the minimal gains on it's own but if you're going to do more to the car it certainly will help.

I'll be interested to see though what they put on the Redline. Look at the Cobalt SS or Ion Redline and you'll find they already have a CAI like intake made of plastic. From what GM has been doing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it for the Sky Redline too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts