Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my view on they sky, i could be very wrong also. I think that this is just a huge marketing scheme. If you take into consideration a huge law in cousumer marketing "Everyone wants what they can't have" - Nintendo 64 - Elmo - Xbox - Playstation - xbox 360 - and so on. All these products at one time where wanted by the masses, the marketing schemes were that there were not going to be enough of these items around the holidays. And in general there were not, but right after the holidays the stores had many of them in stock... But i think Saturn is trying to get all this hype up and be secret about the car, tell us theres not going to be enough of the car, and let us see the car but not touch it in local showrooms, to get tons of preorders only to flood the market with skys? First they told my local dealer they were going to get 8 Skys this year, and only 1 or 2 a month, now it's around 50 - 70? Weird huh? I think the skys are going to be way more avaiable then we think, mabye not the 1st month or not the second, but i'm pretty sure by the 3rd and 4th month the saturn dealerships will have these well in stock. Just like the - Nintendo 64 - Elmo - Xbox - Playstation - xbox 360. Let me know if i'm just being a complete dumbass or if this is possiable?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't think so...the truth is that there won't be enough Saturns the first year. Is it a good marketing idea...sure, but it is not false HYPE. There won't magically be a huge amount of SKYs available mid year.

10,000 are being made and that is it. If I heard right less than 500 are going to be available in all of Canada. That is crazy! I think the up-pricing of the Solstice was a little bit of HYPE...some of them will wind up selling for MSRP. However...there are twice as many Solstices being built as Skys in the first year of production.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CdnSkyGuy said:
10,000 are being made and that is it.
Oh i didn't know that, quick! cover up my ignorace, it's showing! In that case I might just retract this thread? I'll wait to see if anyone else has something to say. Oh, and could u post a link to where it offically says only 10,000 are being made?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not likely

In the case of the above products, generating hype was important because they essentially wanted to take advantage of holiday buyers willingness to pay a premium. In the case of the Sky, we have already seen the supply/demmand with the release of the Solstice. The Sky will be no different. Even if Saturn *Knew* they could sell 20,000 Sky's in the first month they could not ramp up production to meet that. I think 80-100 cars/day is the promised target once the production is ramped up. That is less than 36,000/year given actual production constraints. Plust a car like this only appeals to a relatively small demographic...so initial demmand will be very high then taper off. Generating hype is important to the release of any new product...especially with Saturn since they are trying to change their image and fill the old Oldsmobile spot for GM.

I don't think it is the best marketing idea ever...I think it is the status quo and completely predictable behavior.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Although I don't have a link for you off hand, 10,000 Skys produced the first year is the number that seems to have been run around this place for quite some time. That could all be BS though. It is all speculation. I would doubt that the Sky would be produced in greater numbers than the Solstice though.

I didn't pre-order my car because I had been told about a production shortage, I did so because I wanted a car. If the car is hot and you don't want to wait 6 month after they start production to get one you pre-order it so you get one right away. That was my plan anyway.

It was only after I pre-ordered that I was told about the limited production. If the number of cars available in Canada is correct (500) then I want the car even more.

Marketing could be a good reason why the dealers and Saturn haven't said much about the car. They could want to get a buzz going. I must say I've talked about the car to a number of people and I showed the car to one fellow who says he was on a year long waiting list to get a Solstice that now wants a Sky.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hype??

99.9999994% of the people on the street know nothing of the SKY. This is the least hyped car I have ever even tried to follow. My god we saw pictures and full commercials everyday for the PT Cruiser two years before it was released. I think there has been one SKY commercial and if I had not heard of it here -- no one would have known.
I think they will sell the 10000 and they will be the advertising. After all, if they don't want to or cannot increase production -- let word of mouth advertise. If they have better product in their showrooms -- those who lust after a SKY -- but need a more practical car - may just come in a look.

·
Registered
245 Posts
actually i believe the 500 for all of canada is just for the first allotment, i'm not sure... all i know is, I'm officially getting a car :D my dealer faxed me the bill of sale yesterday. :D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
I don't think so...the truth is that there won't be enough Saturns the first year. Is it a good marketing idea...sure, but it is not false HYPE. There won't magically be a huge amount of SKYs available mid year.

10,000 are being made and that is it. If I heard right less than 500 are going to be available in all of Canada. That is crazy! I think the up-pricing of the Solstice was a little bit of HYPE...some of them will wind up selling for MSRP. However...there are twice as many Solstices being built as Skys in the first year of production.
Very nice post CdnSkyGuy, you've got it right on.

I want my sky NOW, he's telling the facts of what we know. GM has stated ~20k Solstices, ~10k Sky, and eventually a couple thousand Opel cars to Euro areas.

The Sky is a Halo car. It's designed to rebuild the worlds image of Saturn along with the new Aura.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
101jinx101 said:
actually i believe the 500 for all of canada is just for the first allotment, i'm not sure... all i know is, I'm officially getting a car :D my dealer faxed me the bill of sale yesterday. :D
Say they make 10k cars a year. Broken 3 ways that's 3333 cars per 4 month allotments. Brake that up with the ~500 USA Saturn dealers that's 6.66 cars per dealer if they got equal cars. There would have to be 75 Saturn delaers in Canada to get that many in allotment one. However the main issue is initial allotments are the smallest of all due to ramping up the process taking time. So with the saleable production of the Sky not starting and the process overall having issues and ramping still I defintely don't expect GM to make the 10k cars this first year. So 500 cars for this first year alone might be realistic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted people thoughts, trying to pass the time of waiting for our babies :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where are you in Fl? Brentil

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, i'm in the tampa area, when i'm not a college

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can the Bucs please beat the Deadskins this weekend?? :jester:

My dealer said they know the base price but nothing more at this point.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
:cool: IMHO I think that holding back production of cars that people really want is a dangerous road to go down. In some cases people who have there hopes dashed by waiting, just might for go the purchase or purchse something else. On the other hand I can understand why GM might not want to build to many, so they can control there on hand inventory. As some have said this kind of a niche market, but I have an inkling it could be more. I wonder if one full season of summer might make a difference, as people see us driving our Skys and Solstices :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
Say they make 10k cars a year. Broken 3 ways that's 3333 cars per 4 month allotments. Brake that up with the ~500 USA Saturn dealers that's 6.66 cars per dealer if they got equal cars. There would have to be 75 Saturn delaers in Canada to get that many in allotment one. However the main issue is initial allotments are the smallest of all due to ramping up the process taking time. So with the saleable production of the Sky not starting and the process overall having issues and ramping still I defintely don't expect GM to make the 10k cars this first year. So 500 cars for this first year alone might be realistic.
You have to remember this is a 2007 car coming out in early 2006, so it will be easy for them to build 10,000 or more 2007 Skys.... if the first cars are built in february, then they will have 17 months of production before model change over to the 2008's in late June. Ramp up of production should also be quicker because most of the production bugs have been worked out on the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
You have to remember this is a 2007 car coming out in early 2006, so it will be easy for them to build 10,000 or more 2007 Skys.... if the first cars are built in february, then they will have 17 months of production before model change over to the 2008's in late June. Ramp up of production should also be quicker because most of the production bugs have been worked out on the Solstice.
I was refering to just the physical year 2006, which is what GM's production numbers are based off of, physical year and not model year. There was a lot of confusion on that topic with the Solstice also.

GM amasingly built ~9500 Solstices in physical year 2005 (only about ~5500 of those were sold though). That was with 3 shifts dedicated to one car non-stop working through some of the holidays and doing weekend overtime. If GM focuses more resources on building Solstices over this next entire year that might mean taking away from Sky production capacity until the lines have completely fullfilled the massive demand that there still is.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
I was refering to just the physical year 2006, which is what GM's production numbers are based off of, physical year and not model year. There was a lot of confusion on that topic with the Solstice also.

GM amasingly built ~9500 Solstices in physical year 2005 (only about ~5500 of those were sold though). That was with 3 shifts dedicated to one car non-stop working through some of the holidays and doing weekend overtime. If GM focuses more resources on building Solstices over this next entire year that might mean taking away from Sky production capacity until the lines have completely fullfilled the massive demand that there still is.
they only had two shifts working on the solstice, and were going to start a thrid shift in january for the addition of the Sky... that was an announcement from GM back in November...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
they only had two shifts working on the solstice, and were going to start a thrid shift in january for the addition of the Sky... that was an announcement from GM back in November...
Yeah, you're right the 3rd shift starts working this month. However according to the press release the 3rd shift is being added to help meet the Solstice demand prior to the Sky and Opel starting up and then help meet their demand once they start.

The extra shift will be added to the Wilmington, Del., plant to meet growing demand for the Pontiac Solstice and build the Saturn Sky and a new Opel roadster. About 550 idled workers will be recalled to staff the new third shift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts