Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Code P0017 and P0016 popped up, and only seeing a couple kits out there for the timing, im not a mechanic i dont know where to start on diagnosing and things of that nature, plan on replacing the camshaft position sensors but if that doesnt fix the codes plan on shooting for the timing unless mechanic says otherwise, just trying to prepare for it lol. Would appreciate links to kits or if in your experience youve only replaced the chain, just dont wanna break the engine and have to replace the whole thing

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
Code P0017 and P0016 popped up, and only seeing a couple kits out there for the timing, im not a mechanic i dont know where to start on diagnosing and things of that nature, plan on replacing the camshaft position sensors but if that doesnt fix the codes plan on shooting for the timing unless mechanic says otherwise, just trying to prepare for it lol. Would appreciate links to kits or if in your experience youve only replaced the chain, just dont wanna break the engine and have to replace the whole thing
Those codes typically result from VVT servo solenoid valve failure, which is a very easy replacement. Have you checked those?

· Registered
309 Posts
Is there an intake and an exhaust VVT and if so, should both be changed at the same time?

Oddly, when i checked Amazon for that Dorman part# 917215, it says it does not fit a 2008 Saturn Sky.. ?

· Registered
2007 Base Roadster, "Stock" for the most part, but with lots of interior illumination changes
2,433 Posts
Being that they are not expensive, and easy to replace, it seems wise to replace both solenoids.

Just be VERY careful when removing the electrical connectors. They have become brittle with age. The locking/latching feature can get broken. My 2007 Base, one latch was partially broken by a previous owner. When I tried to disconnect, I broke the rest off. I had to replace the connector.

· Administrator
8,913 Posts
Is there an intake and an exhaust VVT and if so, should both be changed at the same time?

Oddly, when i checked Amazon for that Dorman part# 917215, it says it does not fit a 2008 Saturn Sky.. ?
There are two different solenoids and while it is not essential to replace both at the same time most people do.

In your case you have codes for both Intake (P0016) and Exhaust (P0017) so you should do both in any case.

Reactions: mikeyt

· Registered
2008 Redline Manual, GMPP, AX car
180 Posts
Do the VVT parts first, if you do need to do the timing chain, CLOYES brand seems to be reputable. I used that. It had all the parts needed. They have kits with and without some extra gears IIRC. FWIW I could not easy get the balance shaft gears off so I skipped them but replaced all the rest, everything was OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts