Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone no of any National Sky-Sol-Kappa Club what every you want to call it.
Sky Baby and myself talked today about getting out of the talking stage on a club. We our in Illinois

We don't want to step on toes and would like to affiliate with other groups around the Country.

We don't want to waste time and efforts to create what might already be created. Plus we want to intermingle not become a stand alone group.

If any have started a State(any state) or Regional Club could you post no matter what region you are in.

We are now investigating the legalities such as incorporation and insurance for liability. If we don't look at this first organizers could have personal liability. This society is very sue happy and if someone gets hurt or in a accident at a club sponsored event, personal; liability is a very important factor.

Please post clubs you no of throughout country.

WE are really not looking for should do this or that with this post. Everyone has ideas but implement them research your question.
Your question:
"Example insurance wouldn't be that expensive"
Your answer:
I called several Car Clubs and got this infomation on rates and the needed level for Club sponsored events. I will P.M. Scott or Teri with the contact names and numbers.

That is a helpful question answer, not the you guys should do this or that

WE want a Club we hope you do to.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I am not aware of any "organized" national kappa clubs, but the West Coast Kappa Car Club looks like they have this in mind. If you click on www.wckcc.com, it will take you to the subdomain http://westcoast.kappacarclub.org. Obviously, they have in mind to support a midwest.kappacarclub.org, etc. If you want to create such a club and are willing to go with their bylaws, my guess is that they will forward the subdomain to your server and create an interlink with their site, or maybe even host your region for you.

I think WCKCC is on the right track with regional clubs, and their bylaws call for local chapters, which I also like. In Phoenix, we already have the beginnings of a nice Solstice community, and a local Solstice club website at www.PhoenixSolstice.com. At the same time, I am working on a Phoenix Sky Club as a chapter of a regional club, www.SkySouthWest.com.

My feeling about the whole Kappa/Sky/Solstice/Opel thing is that it is better for people to have two or more choices for local clubs, and I think most clubs would welcome the "other" cars in the same class (this is certainly true in Phoenix). If one club ends up focussing more on racing and high performance mods than I care, I can join the other, or join both, and pick and choose my events.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RC this is the info were looking for

I'm still surprised by the lack of clubs when so many of us here on Forum are so in to this great car.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
It won't take long before there are a bunch of local clubs. The first year of the Miata was like that, nothing for a few months, then a few people stepped up, and by year two you saw 60-100 member clubs in medium-sized cities.

What it takes is just two people with a lot of energy, and then others will follow once the events are organized.

·
Registered
314 Posts
richm said:
I am not aware of any "organized" national kappa clubs, but the West Coast Kappa Car Club looks like they have this in mind. If you click on www.wckcc.com, it will take you to the subdomain http://westcoast.kappacarclub.org. Obviously, they have in mind to support a midwest.kappacarclub.org, etc. If you want to create such a club and are willing to go with their bylaws, my guess is that they will forward the subdomain to your server and create an interlink with their site, or maybe even host your region for you. I think WCKCC is on the right track with regional clubs, and their bylaws call for local chapters, which I also like.
Good take:thumbs:. We joined WCKCC and were the only SKY at their mid June event in Lake Tahoe. You can take a look at the links @ http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28 to get an idea of what's available. Also take a look at same on Solstice Forum @ http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 . We've enjoyed WCKCC and hope to be active in a future local No Cal club or two. Getting together with other owners of kappas is a blast. It makes a very impressive sight to see them all in one location. Good luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Kappa Club

It is great to see the enthusiasm you have for the Sky and for organizing a regional club. I am the treasurer for the West Coast Kappa Car Club. I will forward this thread to our President, Crimson Avenger. You can also PM him. I am sure he will contact you and be willing to share the interworkings of our club. We are here to assist you in any way we can to further the Kappa community.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I wonder if it is efficient to try to create momentum for a Kappa club in a Sky forum. The Sols outnumber us at least 5:1 right now (and 2:1 over the long run), and if there is going to be interest in creating a club, they will have the numbers, manpower, history, momentum and enthusiasm to make it happen. To me, this feels a bit like the tail wagging the dog. I haven't checked, but are you actively researching and promoting this club over there as well?

·
Registered
492 Posts
We are a club of inclusion. Yes there are more Sols than Skys right know. We are trying to prevent a natural rivalry and create harmony between Kappa owners. In the Pacific/Regional/Club area of the Sky forum, we have actively promoted the WCKCC and our events. I am a little surprised and maybe even a little disappointed that the Sky owners have not been more enthusiastic about participating in the club and attending our events. I know it is early and I have faith this will change. We are all brothers, so to speak, when it come to owning Kappa platform cars. We at the WCKCC look forward to a large contingent of Sky owners as members and a strong showing at our next event, (Monterey/Laguna Seca - Sept 8-10)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Everything I post that is club related I post on both the Sky and the Solstice forum.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Sitting Duck said:
We are a club of inclusion. Yes there are more Sols than Skys right know. We are trying to prevent a natural rivalry and create harmony between Kappa owners. In the Pacific/Regional/Club area of the Sky forum, we have actively promoted the WCKCC and our events. I am a little surprised and maybe even a little disappointed that the Sky owners have not been more enthusiastic about participating in the club and attending our events. I know it is early and I have faith this will change. We are all brothers, so to speak, when it come to owning Kappa platform cars. We at the WCKCC look forward to a large contingent of Sky owners as members and a strong showing at our next event, (Monterey/Laguna Seca - Sept 8-10)
I am a member of the SW Solstice Club, and they are a great bunch of people, and we have become good friends.:thumbs: we are all Kappa you know!!:thumbs: You can learn a lot from the SOL forum to.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the info

That is what we our looking for and we will contact Crimson Av. to request info and affiliation documentation. No sense reinventing the wheel as a local buddy has said.
SkyBaby has taken point on establishing Local so we will get a list of needs and hopefully you can provide the stumbling blocks we have not anticipated to make a smooth club entry. Thanks for your help Scott

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
richm said:
I am not aware of any "organized" national kappa clubs, but the West Coast Kappa Car Club looks like they have this in mind. If you click on www.wckcc.com, it will take you to the subdomain http://westcoast.kappacarclub.org. Obviously, they have in mind to support a midwest.kappacarclub.org, etc. If you want to create such a club and are willing to go with their bylaws, my guess is that they will forward the subdomain to your server and create an interlink with their site, or maybe even host your region for you.

I think WCKCC is on the right track with regional clubs, and their bylaws call for local chapters, which I also like. In Phoenix, we already have the beginnings of a nice Solstice community, and a local Solstice club website at www.PhoenixSolstice.com. At the same time, I am working on a Phoenix Sky Club as a chapter of a regional club, www.SkySouthWest.com.

My feeling about the whole Kappa/Sky/Solstice/Opel thing is that it is better for people to have two or more choices for local clubs, and I think most clubs would welcome the "other" cars in the same class (this is certainly true in Phoenix). If one club ends up focusing more on racing and high performance mods than I care, I can join the other, or join both, and pick and choose my events.
richm is exactly right. The West Coast Kappa Car Club is itself just the West Coast chapter. We do intend to assist other folks in forming other local chapters, and it's great to see some interest starting to light up.

We have our chapter bylaws posted on our web site, and they form the basic structure of a chapter. As noted, it's an inclusionary club. The group that got together in November of 2005 decided at that meeting to be open to all Kappa platform cars, and enthusiasts. One of the first two regularly elected Board Members is a Sky owner. As we continue our schedule of meetings and elections this year, I'm hopeful that we will have even greater involvement by Sky owners and enthusiasts.

This is exactly the spirit and enthusiasm that we were hoping to have. It's good to see.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
That is what we our looking for and we will contact Crimson Av. to request info and affiliation documentation. No sense reinventing the wheel as a local buddy has said.
SkyBaby has taken point on establishing Local so we will get a list of needs and hopefully you can provide the stumbling blocks we have not anticipated to make a smooth club entry. Thanks for your help Scott
Yeah now this sounds like a good way into a club!! Excellent hunting!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Pacifc Northwest Solstice and Sky Owners Club

The Pacifc Northwest Solstice and Sky Owners Club has had 6 meets since last Fall.
We have no dues, no rules, just Meets!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what I was hoping for

In asking the question on this post. Not to assume anything and not to have any preconceived notions going in. Thanks Crimson A we will be in contact.
We will continue to gather info so everyone has a chance to have there say in the start of a Midwest Club.

·
Registered
492 Posts
SunSports said:
The Pacifc Northwest Solstice and Sky Owners Club has had 6 meets since last Fall.
Having rules and dues is not a bad thing. Just having meets is cool and I understand the free spirit in us all. A club gives me a sense of belonging. A true social organization that I can rely on. People responsible for organization and commitment. Planned itineraries, communication, resources and influence to bring in vendors for tech demos and discounts. The modest dues are not going to break anybodies piggy bank. Come on, $5 a quarter per household, please. These dues help pay for the clubs annual liability insurance. Personally, I do not know how comfortable I would feel cruising with a club that did not provide insurance, "assurance" for their members. They also help offset the cost of a meeting room. Having a club without meetings in my opinion is not really a club. The meetings provide another social element to the event where we can brainstorm to improve upcoming meets. We had a member share some stylized photos of his car on location with cool backdrops from his laptop at our last meeting. From that, the idea for a calendar was born. Securing group discounts for accommodations requires a sizable deposit usually. It is an unfair burden to expect one member to front this money for months. Other club benefits, like T-shirts etc. could be gifted with a membership in the future. We are working on other benifits as well. Maintaining a website is a big job, hosting our upcoming event flyers, picture of past club meets, registration forms, maps, etc. We plan on expanding feature to our site as we evolve.
I am not putting down any other club or gathering. More power to you. I truly wish you great fun and success. I am sure events you put on have been a blast and will continue to be. All I am saying is we plan to stick around for a while. We pledge to consistently provide high quality venues and exciting events that include exhilarating drives and fun social gatherings. The only way I know how to maintain this level of quality is to have an organized club. Clubs need some kind of structure, spreading out the labor among rotating members,putting forth a concerted effort for the masses, for years to come.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sitting Duck your so right.

Your post is what I was thinking from the beginning. The liability issue is of great concern. When you are small you have to think big to avoid costs on the other end. I'm glad the feedback is strong for a club and soon after all info gathered we can move forward.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
Your post is what I was thinking from the beginning. The liability issue is of great concern. When you are small you have to think big to avoid costs on the other end. I'm glad the feedback is strong for a club and soon after all info gathered we can move forward.
Thank you. The last thing I want to do is cause a rift between the WCKCC and other clubs. I was sharing my feelings. Ny statements were not sanctioned by the club. I support other clubs and their efforts to sponsor events. I was just stating my perspective and support of a formal club. Rules were mentioned. I do not look at our bylaws as rules. I see them as a guide. There needs to be a process, a system, so to speak. Thats all the bylaws are.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By-laws avoid problems

No one likes to argue and having basic rules eliminates most. So everyone is in harmony, but not always happy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
SunSports said:
Our club is working fine for now. It would be great to have someone form a "real" club in the Northwest someday. I would love to join. We are just waiting for more Skys and Sols to be sold here and for more owners that want to belong to a club.
As far as lawsuits, there are no "deep pockets" to go after.
I have been involved in a lot of clubs over the years. Most folks here like that this club is simple. Join in for a Meet, if you like. If not, maybe next time. It is very easy to organize with the Sky and Solstice Forums.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts