Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of threads about misc. things going wrong in your Skys (the cup holders are breaking, the top on one car was leaking, the buttresses are hard to get into place, gas mileage is not as advertised, etc.) One of the reasons I wanted to get a new car was for the warranty so that I didn't have to pay when things went wrong (like I do on my post-warranty Mercedes). But I didn't want to have to constantly be rushing it into the shop to fix one thing or another. For those of you that have your car now, are these problems aberrations, or is the build quality on this car less than that you should expect from a new vehicle?

Sorry for the rambling, but I am starting to get a little nervous about all the threads I keep reading about things breaking on the Sky. I still dream of this beauty, but I'm beginning to be afraid she might be like a high maintenance supermodel -- great to look at but lots of trouble to be with. Please tell me I have nothing to fear, and she is worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Too soon to say really, but I wouldn't expect it to be high maintainance.
One doesn't get that impression from the Sostice forum where they've had their cars longer.

Keep in mind two points

1) These are early glitches which once fixed are done and some may be addressed at the factory.
2) A forum like this shows all the problems and focuses on them.
It can get hard sometimes to see the true frequency of snags. They may be widespread, or only a handfull out of thousands.

As a car put together from largely off the shelf components, one should expect fewer problems in general,
although their combination on some places may still need to be seen.

Just one opinion from observations..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
A lot of the things you hear about are minor and don't even need a trip to the shop. Also what you may hear is one car and another has no such problems. It IS a first year car so there will be some issues. It appears most are very minor and many cosmetic and ergonomic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is a first year build...no matter how much testing goes on it will be nothing like when thousands of individuals all with different driving techniques and care get on board. For most part everything is minor, I've had 3 Saturns and have been very fortunate that the service provided has been nothing less than excellent.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with everyone above. It is not high maint. But, you are going to have some issues that are well noted and may be improved on 2008 or 2009 models. For example, the clutch knock. It is normal operation, but annoying. Auto Tranny issues on some models, etc. All common on a 1st year run. Don't expect the car to be perfect. But, I would not say it is high maint. The Saturn Dealer has been great in fixing my issues so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Stacib

If it makes you feel better, my only real complaint is the flimsy cup holder, at this point I don't even use it anymore to avoid the risk of it totally falling apart. I've got vin 277 and no (rain)leaks, no rattles and no (fluid)leaks.
Let's hope the others are all abberations (sp) and most of the quality is OK.

At least I'm happy with her!!:D :thumbs:

·
Registered
692 Posts
High Maintenance? I would refer you to the history of both the Mustang and Corvette. I think we'll all find this is a bargain.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly it will take 4 years to make any model perfect. I have seen it on the Saturn vue and Ion. The 06 and 07 models have been just about perfected.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have found some problems with the car (all minor such as the door plate "stickers" and all will be fixed by the dealer when I take it in for her first oil chainge) but none of the problems I have had are major nor do they require me to go sans Sky for a long period of time. Its been pretty smooth sailing so far.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Whenever I have purchased first-year cars, I have had problems, and when I first thought that I wouldn't get my car till next year, I thought it might not be all that bad.

However, I got a chance to get it early, and unfortunately, I have had more problems than I anticipated. Many of the problems are cosmetic, but some are downright frustrating and lead me to think that they QC is not great, that they are really pumping these out trying to meet demand.

Others, however, have had absolutely no problems with their cars. Nevertheless, I have also read enough in these forums to believe that there are enough problems to take the issue seriously, and so the real question is, is the enjoyment you will have by owning the car sooner rather than later worth the possibility of a couple visits to the dealership to work out some first-year production problems?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is disappointing to see some of the problems reported on this forum. For example, the cup holder problem. We had the cup holder replaced on our Catera four times and finally just stopped using it! And my mother-in-law has a 2000 Buick Century that has had its cup holders replaced several times.

It does not take a Rocket Surgeon [sic] to make a cup holder, does it? Let's hunt down the General Motors Cup Holder Head Designer and . . . wait I don't think I am allowed to advocate violence here.

I wonder if somebody like Kappasphere can make a replacement cup holder!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:boxing: Profit vs. Quality.
What amazes me is many of the 'foreign' cars that are all rated so high are actually assembled here in the good old USA by American workers. So it seems to boil down to either engineering, assembly pride & training or corporate profits.

As an example, Benz quality drop through the floor when Chrysler got involved it seems. Consumer magazines still seem to gives them many black dots.
That leads me to believe the American engineering or parts quality are slacking off to meet profit. And that decision is made upstairs in corporate offices. Oh I am sure their is some of that Monday and Friday human error, but that would show up on some but not become the normal. Like the need to slam things shut or water in the transmission. Some process needs improvement.

To Saturn's credit ... they have addressed and corrected these problems quickly it seems from reading this forum.

But if other American workers can pump out pride quality auto's .... that should be possible with all domestic made products. And personally, I think that the majority of American assembled whatevers are.
But German, Japanese and how Korean engineers and profit managers have worked together slightly closer to make items that their assembly people can put together solidly. Consumers rush to buy for a reason and cost is NOT the only factor in the long run.

Dealing with dealer showroom employers varies like the weather from owner to manager in local stores. Again we are back to training and short or long term customer loyality (profit).
I think Saturn started out fresh and with high goals but over the years profit decisions altered goals and here we once again have an opportunity to jump into the race and shine.
Remember ... crap in ... crap out ... and profits fall until the company is gone. Consumers should not expect first year products of any kind to be crap. If American workers can assemble forgein labeled products that are pushed out the door the first year that are solidly engineered ... well boys and girls ... I for one expect to purchase this Saturn SKY Red Line with pride that it was engineered and assemblyed here in this country by us Americans! AND that it is a solidly engineered vehicle that can and will complete on the open market with any car in its class. I expect this first year American produced vehicle to be better than, or at least as good as, any country could engineer in this class roadster.
The cost of this Red Line with options is over $30,000 and that, or slightly more, can buy many nice vehicles being advertised. I choose Saturn's first year SKY Red Line with confidence and expect to be impressed with it as I am with my current Lexus. (cost is not that far a part).

Personnally, I want a dependable vehicle I can buy and never visit the repair shop but for routine things like oil changes. I have 212,000 miles on my current vehicle with no major items but normal brakes and such.

I appreciated the safety instant speed gives with getting on freeways, that is why I am in line for a Red Line.
Speed and 0 to 60 times has its limited value. One can get a speeding ticket in a Yogo ... maybe. :jester:

But solidly built and dependable are two other expected items at this price we consumers wanted and should expect no matter if it is a first or last year produced George Foreman grill or Saturn SKY. :thumbs: What a country:) I can :rant: and tell it like it should be and live to see tomorrow. :patriot:

·
Registered
804 Posts
You will read many post with 'this problem' and 'that problem', but remember that you are reading about a very few people who are having the problem occure. I am sure that if there was a furum for a new 'any brand' auto, you would find the same things being posted. As far as our Sky, we have had it for 3 months and the only thing we have found wrong is the sill plate that has "SATURN" stamped on it has come off. There have been many people with the same problem and it is being taken care of at the dealership upon normal checkups i.e. oil changes.

Our cup holder works fine
No leaks
Ave. 24.2 miles per gallon (highway and city combo)
Ave. 2 times per day we answer questions about the car to well wishers!

Love the Sky!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
You will read many post with 'this problem' and 'that problem', but remember that you are reading about a very few people who are having the problem occure. I am sure that if there was a furum for a new 'any brand' auto, you would find the same things being posted. As far as our Sky, we have had it for 3 months and the only thing we have found wrong is the sill plate that has "SATURN" stamped on it has come off. There have been many people with the same problem and it is being taken care of at the dealership upon normal checkups i.e. oil changes.

Our cup holder works fine
No leaks
Ave. 24.2 miles per gallon (highway and city combo)
Ave. 2 times per day we answer questions about the car to well wishers!

Love the Sky!
:agree: Have only had little problems so far and had some that I though might be concerns, laid to rest. Saturn has been on top of it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who replied about the quality of their Sky. I'm glad to see my worrying about it was probably an over exaggeration, and I can't wait to get mine. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cup Holder Issue- Drove AURA and GREENLINE

Had the pleasure of attending a Ride and Drive Thursday where the SKY was compared to a Mazda M5 and the Honda S2000. We drove all three on a closed course and the SKY has it all over the other two competitors when it comes to handling etc.

The only thing that was a pain in the neck (Actually the Knee) was that at 6'2" , my left knee kept hitting the cup holder which would then pop it open. This happened about ten times in a ten mile road drive in the SKY. Most annoying :banghead:.

After driving the SKY, drove the new Hybrid VUE. Another great product that will bring in lots of new people to Saturn. As the co. theme says, YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO GREEN AND NOT GO BROKE.

Also drove the new AURA :cheers:.What a great ride. When they come in to your local Saturn facility in the next few weeks, you must check them out. You will not be disappointed.

I am a sales consultant with over 11 years with Saturn and I( can tell you Saturn is on the move.

·
Registered
514 Posts
stacib said:
I have noticed a lot of threads about misc. things going wrong in your Skys (the cup holders are breaking, the top on one car was leaking, the buttresses are hard to get into place, gas mileage is not as advertised, etc.) One of the reasons I wanted to get a new car was for the warranty so that I didn't have to pay when things went wrong (like I do on my post-warranty Mercedes). But I didn't want to have to constantly be rushing it into the shop to fix one thing or another. For those of you that have your car now, are these problems aberrations, or is the build quality on this car less than that you should expect from a new vehicle?

Sorry for the rambling, but I am starting to get a little nervous about all the threads I keep reading about things breaking on the Sky. I still dream of this beauty, but I'm beginning to be afraid she might be like a high maintenance supermodel -- great to look at but lots of trouble to be with. Please tell me I have nothing to fear, and she is worth it.
Judging by the ratings that GM gets on their other cars you can expect it to be more maintence than say a Honda or Toyota, but its cheaper to buy and the parts after warranty than Honda or Toyota parts, plus no one has anything that looks as cool for the money.

If you are concerned wait for the 2008 model, it should have all the bugs worked out. It seems GM is tightening up the driveline so many of the issues with the clunky tranny and leaking diff should be solved by then. You never want to buy a first year car if you are concerned about bugs. I have read engineers are working on different fixes, like the new "torque" bar to stop motion transfer in the driveline (clunk cure?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
SkyTech said:
Honestly it will take 4 years to make any model perfect. I have seen it on the Saturn vue and Ion. The 06 and 07 models have been just about perfected.
I pray this is no longer true. This is the main reason so many people have gone to Honda and Toyota.

On a side note though, I was debating on getting a Honda Ridgeline when they first came out. I was part of the forum. We even had a guy who was on the production line of the Ridgeline.
Their first 6 months they had a problem with water getting through the seals on the front windshield. It turned out that the robots that put the apoxy that held the glass could not read the color black or red very well. The Honda people had to rewrite the computer program to fix the glitch.
It just goes to show you even the best (Honda) at quality control can hit a snag in first year production.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts