Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,,,,dumb blonde here, or so our local dealer must think. FINALLY got the call that they are taking deposits, with a minor stipulation. The dealer says he wants $500 deposit (so far okay) and then (part I don't understand) when Skys come in they will be sold after another Sky comes in. So if YOURS is there, it is theirs to use as a demo til the next one arrives, thus as I see it, my car gets broke in by anyone wanting to take a test drive. If production is slow, which it sounds like it might be, my car could have hundreds of miles on it before I get to take possession. Is this anything anyone else has happening at their dealer? I have had many new cars and one of the thrills is seeing an odometer with less than 10 miles on it and knowing I broke it in. Should I find another dealer or go alongwith this "stipulation" as he called it? Sheryl in Texas

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I put a $500 deposit down on a Sky last summer. My brother use to sell cars and warned me to put a number of conditions on the pre-sale. The car won't have more than x# of KM's on it was one of the conditions. He told me that he had a customer who ordered a new Viper. When it came in all the sales people were taking the car for rides and put quite a few k on the car before they called the customer in.

Well the customer wasn't happy. He wanted another car or money off. The dealer told him he had to pay what the dealer told him to or he'd have to wait another 6 months for another car to come in. I'd have told the dealer to screw off but I guess the guy really wanted the Vip bad and bought it.

Our dealer wanted $1000 down and we told him we'd give him $500. We told him the car must be priced comparable to a Miata (since the car is supposed to be the compitition to that car), and we told him it must have under 50km on it.

We also told the dealer we'd be willing to put more money down on our Sky when we were able to select colours and options. Shop around there must be dealers who are willing to do the right thing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This sounds a little bizarre. I think for some the understanding is when their car comes in it will be kept for up to a week but....it will be roped off, not to be touched, sat in and least of all driven! My dealer mentioned this to me with the understanding that nobody will get too close to the vehicle. However, since they used their first image on their own demo, my car will not be expected to be used as a visual for potential buyers. I was skeptical when he asked me to leave my car there to be viewed for a week and I told him don't be surprised to find me with my lawn chair camped out by the car watching who and what comes in to look at it! Luckily, I don't think this will be the case now so I'm not worried about it. I'd be wary of the information you've been given, after all is said and done and if this is what they want you to do, you no longer have a new car, you have a demo! Uh-uh, I don't think so....:mad:

·
Registered
102 Posts
this doesn't make sense to me at all. it's my understanding that all the dealers are to get a demo that can't be sold until production catches up with demand. or maybe it is just something my local dealer is doing on their own.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
bumsky2 said:
Hey there,,,,dumb blonde here, or so our local dealer must think. FINALLY got the call that they are taking deposits, with a minor stipulation. The dealer says he wants $500 deposit (so far okay) and then (part I don't understand) when Skys come in they will be sold after another Sky comes in. So if YOURS is there, it is theirs to use as a demo til the next one arrives, thus as I see it, my car gets broke in by anyone wanting to take a test drive. If production is slow, which it sounds like it might be, my car could have hundreds of miles on it before I get to take possession. Is this anything anyone else has happening at their dealer? I have had many new cars and one of the thrills is seeing an odometer with less than 10 miles on it and knowing I broke it in. Should I find another dealer or go alongwith this "stipulation" as he called it? Sheryl in Texas
Hey, a fellow Texan here, where & what dealer are you using? I live in Arlington and I haven't heard that one. If you want I will ask my Dealer GM about it.:) They don't do business like that here, at least they havent to me. ERNEST:cheers:

07 SKY
Silverpearl/Red Leather/Loaded

PS I have dealt with my dealer 8 cars/10 yrs now, curemtly driving 04 L300.3 & love it!!!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
boots said:
This sounds a little bizarre. I think for some the understanding is when their car comes in it will be kept for up to a week but....it will be roped off, not to be touched, sat in and least of all driven! My dealer mentioned this to me with the understanding that nobody will get too close to the vehicle. However, since they used their first image on their own demo, my car will not be expected to be used as a visual for potential buyers. I was skeptical when he asked me to leave my car there to be viewed for a week and I told him don't be surprised to find me with my lawn chair camped out by the car watching who and what comes in to look at it! Luckily, I don't think this will be the case now so I'm not worried about it. I'd be wary of the information you've been given, after all is said and done and if this is what they want you to do, you no longer have a new car, you have a demo! Uh-uh, I don't think so....:mad:
I am getting mine no strings attached. Like I have said before, I am retired and have lots of timeon my hands, I am going to bring mine in a couple of times a week & put in the showroom. I willhave desk next to it to monitor it, but would leave it there anyway, becuase I have all the trust in the world in my dealer. Hell, GM is going to throw a party the day I pick it up, said he wanted to call in the local paper, I don't care good publicity. Now this is what I call a dealer! ERNEST :thumbs:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are dealing with Saturn of San Antonio since we are nearest to them. Our original dealer is in Indianapolis so too far to work with. I was suspicious of this when email arrived yesterday saying call to discuss "stipulations". I had the same thought,,,why they didn't just keep the first one as a demo and run it to death instead of demo-ing each car that came in. Of course and there was no mention of discounting the car since it was "used".

I am glad to know I was not alone in thinking this is a bit fishy of a deal. However, I am still disappointed I have waited this long just to get them to take a deposit and then to get this BS thrown at me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
bumsky2 said:
We are dealing with Saturn of San Antonio since we are nearest to them. Our original dealer is in Indianapolis so too far to work with. I was suspicious of this when email arrived yesterday saying call to discuss "stipulations". I had the same thought,,,why they didn't just keep the first one as a demo and run it to death instead of demo-ing each car that came in. Of course and there was no mention of discounting the car since it was "used".

I am glad to know I was not alone in thinking this is a bit fishy of a deal. However, I am still disappointed I have waited this long just to get them to take a deposit and then to get this BS thrown at me.
Have you possibly checked any dealerships in Austin? I know that's prolly not too convenient, but I would exhaust all of my options. This whole thing just sounds wrong. How many dealerships are in San Antonio? Maybe talk to the sales manager or whoever has the most authority and see where that takes you. Goodness, just get in touch with Ernest, it sounds like he's at the best dealership of all time! If I wasn't number 2 down here at mine I'd even consider it!:D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Ask to speak with the General Manager (not the sales manager) and see what he has to say, If he goes along with they are telling you, than it is best to look elsewhere. That might be flag that if they are willingm to new customers this way right off the bat, then what will their after sales service will be. I know if an individual who lives uin my area DFW who went to Abilene to order his, it might be the better choice to call around to smaller citys in your area. If you canb get the right deal, ain't it worth the drive?
I talk to my GM tomorrow.

ERNEST

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Rik said:
this doesn't make sense to me at all. it's my understanding that all the dealers are to get a demo that can't be sold until production catches up with demand. or maybe it is just something my local dealer is doing on their own.
I was told at first they were going to be forced to keep the first one as a dealer demo, but saturn has now backed down and said the dealership can do whatever they want with the first one, since it is costing them an allocation...

think of it this way, a dealer can have a new demo, different colors and options ever 6 weeks or so, and then sell it for the new price or have one car as a demo and use it for a year then sell it with a huge markdown...

·
Registered
308 Posts
our dealership said that they are getting their demo car in around the end of this month so i know they are not using mine as a demo, if i do find out that they use mine to demo, there will be hell :devil: to pay. i am paying cash for mine (no financing). inheritance from my parents estate.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
bumsky2 said:
Either force the Dealer to put it in writing that you will be able to get your car the same day it comes in and that it has no more than say 10-20 miles on it. I am not sure what can be reasonably expected.

As far as I am concerned a car USED as a Demo is a USED CAR.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
richmcc said:
Either force the Dealer to put it in writing that you will be able to get your car the same day it comes in and that it has no more than say 10-20 miles on it. I am not sure what can be reasonably expected.

As far as I am concerned a car USED as a Demo is a USED CAR.

You are right on the money with that one.

ERNEST:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
:crazy: I will be financing mine but that does not make it less important that my car be "NEW" when I purchase it. I will not be paying for someone else's joy riding or anything else. It already drops enough when you pull it off the lot. That may be acceptable for some but not for me, its not as if the dealer will be taking anything off of the purchase price for the depreciation the vehicle has incurred as a result of the additional mileage placed on it before purchase. :nonod:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember reading on the solsticeforum about members getting their cars with over 30 miles on the odometer before they ever sat in it. If the dealer has a demo before you get your car that might help cut down on the really long PMI rides...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
marklynn70 said:
:crazy: I will be financing mine but that does not make it less important that my car be "NEW" when I purchase it. I will not be paying for someone else's joy riding or anything else. It already drops enough when you pull it off the lot. That may be acceptable for some but not for me, its not as if the dealer will be taking anything off of the purchase price for the depreciation the vehicle has incurred as a result of the additional mileage placed on it before purchase. :nonod:
Thats the only way, new means new! Accept nothing less. Another fellow TEXAN. Glad to know you.

ERNEST
Arlington,Texas

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
CarJunkie said:
I remember reading on the solsticeforum about members getting their cars with over 30 miles on the odometer before they ever sat in it. If the dealer has a demo before you get your car that might help cut down on the really long PMI rides...
I will know the minute it is offloaded from train and trucked to dealer, I gaurantee I will be there to watch it come off the truck. I will be following the event codes, and my GM will call me.

ERNEST

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have decided to call Saturn of Austin tomorrow and discuss their sales policy. I have gathered there is no legit reason for the San Antonio dealer to want to use customers cars for a demo. Perhaps it keeps them from eventually having a car they have to discount as a demo. I don't know but I had enough replies tell me to steer clear that I know it's not the thing for me. Thank all of you for sharing your expertise and experience. Sheryl :nono:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called Saturn of Austin today. I must be doing something wrong in trying to find someone to order me a Sky. The salesperson I spoke to said they were not taking orders or deposits since there would be no Skys available til sometime in 2007. I tried explaining about the forum discussions and even the dealer in San Antonio wanting to take deposits now yet he stood firm there would be no Skys available until in 2007. The best he would do is take my name and phone number and call me when the time was closer to time the cars would actually be produced.

Monday I am going to branch out my search for my illusive Sky. Houston is next on the list. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts