Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am crossposting since I put this over the Sol forum.

Bought the mandrel intake pipes from DDM, powder coated red to match the theme I have going on. Took over 3 months to get here, and the threads are completely messed up. Neither the nipple nor the sensor fit, at all. I could have sworn I saw a thread about this, either here or on the Sol forum.

I dont feel like re-cutting threads and hunting for new that new nipple to match the thread pitch, etc.

Ugh.

/end rant

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
I had the same problem- no threads for the brass fitting. I decided it was easier to tap it than fuss with sending things back. Dave responded quickly two weeks later and told me it's 1/8" NPT.

But...it seems that this is systemic issue, not the weird on-off issue I thought it was.

Edit: Reviewed emails. It took two weeks for them to get the thread pitch to me. I'd long since tapped it.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I am crossposting since I put this over the Sol forum.

Bought the mandrel intake pipes from DDM, powder coated red to match the theme I have going on. Took over 3 months to get here, and the threads are completely messed up. Neither the nipple nor the sensor fit, at all. I could have sworn I saw a thread about this, either here or on the Sol forum.

I dont feel like re-cutting threads and hunting for new that new nipple to match the thread pitch, etc.

Ugh.

/end rant
What was DDM's response when you contacted them about the problem? I have always found them to be very responsive.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I had the same problem- no threads for the brass fitting. I decided it was easier to tap it than fuss with sending things back. Dave responded quickly and told me it's 1/8" NPT.

But...it seems that this is systemic issue, not the weird on-off issue I thought it was.
Parts like this are normally made in batches, so a manufacturing defect is likely to affect some or all of a particular batch. It is unfortunate that it was not caught before the parts were shipped out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was DDM's response when you contacted them about the problem? I have always found them to be very responsive.
I called them and explained the issue. They requested pictures so sent them over, see what they say.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Parts like this are normally made in batches, so a manufacturing defect is likely to affect some or all of a particular batch. It is unfortunate that it was not caught before the parts were shipped out.
Agreed, like the poster below me said, he also had issues so it looks like its widespread. Sure, they sell very few of these, there are few kappas anyways, so the problem seems exacerbated.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Agreed, like the poster below me said, he also had issues so it looks like its widespread. Sure, they sell very few of these, there are few kappas anyways, so the problem seems exacerbated.
I suggest that it might be better to allow DDM to follow through with a resolution before you rant about them publicly.

Reactions: texassky'n

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem- no threads for the brass fitting. I decided it was easier to tap it than fuss with sending things back. Dave responded quickly and told me it's 1/8" NPT.

Thanks for the info. What about the small threads for the sensor screws?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Parts like this are normally made in batches, so a manufacturing defect is likely to affect some or all of a particular batch.
My order was in May of 2019. So it could be a batch issue, but if so, that is PLENTY of time for them to inspect the batch and fix before shipping to customers.

Thanks for the info. What about the small threads for the sensor screws?
I don't have anything noted on that, so they were either tapped, or I didn't notice and the sensor screws self-tapped.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My order was in May of 2019. So it could be a batch issue, but if so, that is PLENTY of time for them to inspect the batch and fix before shipping to customers.
Agreed. My order was placed end of june/start of july, like before july 4th, so it was a three + month way. Just a bit frustrated with the process, but DDM has been good before despite the delays, so I'm sure they'll make it right.

I don't have any noted on that, so they were either tapped, or I didn't notice and the sensor screws self-tapped.
I pulled my sensor out and they dont screw in at all, like the hole is too small. I really dont want to do something to the pipe since I had them powder coated and the finish is exquisite.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem- no threads for the brass fitting. I decided it was easier to tap it than fuss with sending things back. Dave responded quickly two weeks later and told me it's 1/8" NPT.

Edit: Reviewed emails. It took two weeks for them to get the thread pitch to me. I'd long since tapped it.
So retap with an 1/8" NPT, like this

and then use this instead of the OE unit?

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
So retap with an 1/8" NPT, like this

and then use this instead of the OE unit?

The pipe tap is correct for 1/8" NPT, but the fitting you linked to is 1/4". The 1/8" refers to the diameter of the hose barb, and the ID of the hose it will work with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pipe tap is correct for 1/8" NPT, but the fitting you linked to is 1/4". The 1/8" refers to the diameter of the hose barb, and the ID of the hose it will work with.
Thanks John, so is an 1/8 x 1/8 then what is needed?

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
Thanks John, so is an 1/8 x 1/8 then what is needed?

Assuming the hose is 1/8" ID, yes. That fitting will screw into the 1/8 NPT hole. Don't forget to use teflon tape or pipe joint compound.

Reactions: texassky'n

·
Registered
2007 Sky Redline- Bluestone, 4SP
11 Posts
I bought tap set and tapped the holes correctly - found out just after I had installed pipes - so took them off. Seems to be a very common problem - or just not tapped for another reason?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spoke with Dave because they didnt email back. He said for the vacuum line it is indeed a 1/8" NPT. He did say sorry tho, for what its worth. It is a very common issue he said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts