Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues putting fuel in my 2007 Saturn Sky for a couple months now. I have replaced the vapor canister, the purge valve, the fuel cap and had the fuel lines blown out to make sure they were clear and I am still having issues putting fuel in the vehicle and the check engine light is on. I have no idea what else to check or replace at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
I have been having issues putting fuel in my 2007 Saturn Sky for a couple months now. I have replaced the vapor canister, the purge valve, the fuel cap and had the fuel lines blown out to make sure they were clear and I am still having issues putting fuel in the vehicle and the check engine light is on. I have no idea what else to check or replace at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My first step would be to have the codes read so that you can see what the car thinks is wrong.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Chances are that the flapper valve at the top of the fuel filler tube slid down the tube and is residing at the entrance to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Is the problem you are having that you start fueling the car and after about half a gallon the fuel shuts off then you start filling again and after another half gallon it does it again? Then this continues over and over? Then it doesn't always happen but seems to happen at certain gas stations?

If so, a number of us have had that problem including myself. I have found that there is a trick to prevent it.

When you insert the fuel nozzle into the tank, you usually have to lift up the handle to get it in then lower it down to start pumping. Instead, start pumping while you are still holding the handle up. As the fuel begins to flow, very slowly lower the handle into the normal position.

From the parts you have changed the problem sound more sever than this but you never really described what the details of the problem is. I'd this isnt it, a more detailed description would help.

As John mentioned, having the codes read would give us more insight into the check engine light. It is possible the gas issue and light are unrelated problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you also have a check engine light, is not associated with the problem that I described. It is merely a physical obstruction

·
Registered
378 Posts
When the flapper disloges, it slides down the filler tube until it reaches the mouth of the fuel tank and becomes an obstruction. The obstruction is not is not a perfect seal so fuel drains by it. When the filler tube is full of fuel, the fuel nozzle will shut off to prevent overflow. The fuel will drain past the obstruction allowing you to add more fuel until the tube fills again and an overflow is sensed by the nozzle. I cut the trunk floor liner because the clamp at the mouth of the fuel tank was installed from the top and could not be removed from the bottom. It took me about 2 hours to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the problem you are having that you start fueling the car and after about half a gallon the fuel shuts off then you start filling again and after another half gallon it does it again? Then this continues over and over? Then it doesn't always happen but seems to happen at certain gas stations?

If so, a number of us have had that problem including myself. I have found that there is a trick to prevent it.

When you insert the fuel nozzle into the tank, you usually have to lift up the handle to get it in then lower it down to start pumping. Instead, start pumping while you are still holding the handle up. As the fuel begins to flow, very slowly lower the handle into the normal position.

From the parts you have changed the problem sound more sever than this but you never really described what the details of the problem is. I'd this isnt it, a more detailed description would help.

As John mentioned, having the codes read would give us more insight into the check engine light. It is possible the gas issue and light are unrelated problems.
No. I have problems right as I started to put in fuel. I am inclined to believe it is the flapper at the beginning of the fill tube. It appears to be missing. It is probably lodged in the tube before the tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
I went to mechanic today and it is an emissions problem according to the code.
Did the mechanic give you the code number? It would be something like P0406.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the mechanic give you the code number? It would be something like P0406.
No. My fault for not asking. He just said it was emissions. I have been battling this problem for more than 2 months

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
No. My fault for not asking. He just said it was emissions. I have been battling this problem for more than 2 months
The "flapper" being dislodged will definitely cause fueling problems, but should not result in a code. I think it would be worth finding out what the code is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "flapper" being dislodged will definitely cause fueling problems, but should not result in a code. I think it would be worth finding out what the code is.
Ok. I will see if I can get it.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
The most common problem we have seen is the evap canister getting saturated with fuel so that it can't breathe to vent the tank. If you frequently "add a little more" after the pump shuts off it is possible to overfill the tank, and if the extra fuel gets past the check valve it can saturate the charcoal, although that is not the only way it can happen.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If that flapper filler door did fall in and is sitting in an obstructed orientation, I wonder if you could fish a magnetic snake down the filler tube to grab it, pull it up, and then get a pliers on it to remove it. If the flapper is stainless, a magnet won't do it. Then maybe fish a length of steel rod from decorative fencing or a tomato cage, and push it through or at least deform it enough to allow gas to pass through freely.

If the filler tube is make of rubber, you surely want to be careful fishing anything, especially something sharp down the filler tube. You don't want to make a hole in it.

Is the filler tube metal or rubber?

Here is an example of a flexible pick up tool.

Then there is this 3 prong grabber if the piece is stainless steel.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts