Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
I scoped my '07 today. I had hoped to be able to post a picture, but the camera wasn't cooperating, so i will try again tonight when I scope the '08.

There is a valve at the bottom of the filler tube that would catch the filler neck flapper, and if that flapper lands flat across the opening it would definitely block fuel from flowing into the tank.

The bends in the filler tube would make it extremely challenging to capture anything (like the upper flapper) that was sitting on the lower flapper valve. If you could grab it, it would not fit through the hole it covers at the filler neck. The best, and maybe only, solution is going to be removal of the filler tube.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The filler tube is steel with a short rubber hose that connects it the the tank. There is a strainer in the entry to the tank that captures the flapper.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
The filler tube is steel with a short rubber hose that connects it the the tank. There is a strainer in the entry to the tank that captures the flapper.
I didn't see a strainer with the scope, but did see the check valve.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Since I didn't take the tank out of the car, I couldn't look directly into the tank. But I saw an illustrated parts breakdown that showed a strainer at the mouth of the tank. It looked like it might be a plastic sock strainer shaped more like an eight ounce drinking glass.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
The scope isn't cooperating and won't save a picture, so i took one of the screen. Not real clear, but maybe clear enough.
IMG_20200612_185804476_MP.jpg
It looks like the top of a check valve to me.

Also, i checked the flapper in the '07 and it does not appear to be magnetic, although the restrictor plate is.

This is the only illustration I have found of the check valve at the bottom of the filler tube.
Capture.JPG
It is showing how to use a special tool to push the valve poppet open to get a hose into the bottom of the tank to empty it in preparation for removing it from the car. The left drawing shows the valve closed, the right shows it pushed open with the hose going through the fuel port in the side of the valve body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The fuel filler flap is definitely missing. Not sure if it is lodged in the filler tube or at the opening of the gas tank. I had the gas tank removed when they changed the Evap Canister. You would think they would have checked the opening to the gas tank to see if it was lodged there.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
The fuel filler flap is definitely missing. Not sure if it is lodged in the filler tube or at the opening of the gas tank. I had the gas tank removed when they changed the Evap Canister. You would think they would have checked the opening to the gas tank to see if it was lodged there.
Do you still have a check engine light? Did you get the actual code?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I still have the check engine light on. The mechanic did not give me the exact code, but said it was emissions.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
There are several codes related to emissions. Knowing the number of the one you have is important for troubleshooting the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Will try to find out from mechanic. At this point, I think I am going to have to have the fuel filler tube replaced because it is getting harder and harder to put fuel in the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
Does anyone know the process of reinstalling the flapper?
I wouldn't bother. My '08 doesn't have one, and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects.

That said, the process is going to depend on how it broke loose, and I would think that would be reasonably obvious once all of the pieces were in hand.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Replacing the filler tube will not fix your problem if the flapper is stuck in the mouth of the fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,930 Posts
What is the suggestion to fix the problem then?
If the flapper is stuck at the bottom of the filler, removing the tube will allow you to remove the flapper and clear the blockage. You should not need a new tube, only to remove, clear, and replace yours.

Having an obstruction at the bottom of the filler tube will cause problems adding fuel, but will not, as far as I know, cause a check engine light. So, you either have a totally unique problem, two separate problems, or a known problem that causes fueling difficulties and a check engine light.

Knowing the code is important if you want to proceed logically.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My 2007 does not have a flapper door. The material used for the restricted opening is non-magnetic so I assume the door itself is too. Still I inserted my long magnetic tipped grabber and it did not hit the end of the tube, so I assume it is too short anyway, magnetic door or not.

Had my grabber been long enough, and the door been magnetic, I would have worked it to the opening and grab the thing with a needle nose pliers and bend it to remove it. But since I fill-up just fine, maybe I never had a door to begin with, or it was removed by a previous owner.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts